Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,576   Posts: 188,292   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 280
Welcome to our newest member, Skysarwer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

messenger bag help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

messenger bag help

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211022_010342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.34 MB ID:	336747 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211022_011817.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.88 MB ID:	336749

I'm looking for a more built in organization messenger bag. pilot looks nice but I'm trying to be as small and discrete as possible.

I'm including my loadout. can someone give an opinion on what bag might be best? synapse 19 or synik 22 were contenders, but i don't think they'd be as slim and fit everywhere as easily, and i think i prefer shoulder bags as i prefer single shoulder carry most of the time.

the big grey blob is my patagonia micro burst compressible jacket. the black pouch is my fuji x100v camera. and the tablet is an ipad mini. those are the big items. glasses would be next. i prefer in bag sections over pouches, but a few pouches is ok.

all of this fits tightly (but fits) in my mcb but without the jacket. it fits in my luminary 15 with the jacket a bit snug but well. but i dislike the vertical organization of a backpack like the luminary since i started carrying more and sometimes camera lenses. i can clip my hat outside the bag on the strap. i think I'd pick the co-pilot but I'm not sure it would be big enough...
    Attached Files

Take a look at the Maker's Bag. There's some interior organization. It's a bit larger (12.5L) than your MCB (8L) so will hold your items along with your jacket, plus has that east-west orientation you're looking for. Your load doesn't look particularly heavy, but I think the Op/Tech Mini SOS strap (like a miniaturized TB Absolute Strap) pairs well with the MB if you find the regular strap is not comfy enough.

Comment

I don’t think the CP will be big enough for you. How about the Parental Unit? I don’t have one, but it looks to have lots of organization.
      Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
        I don’t think the CP will be big enough for you. How about the Parental Unit? I don’t have one, but it looks to have lots of organization.
        luisdent You might consider the organization of the Parent Unit which has easier horizontal access to items than the Luminary, and has a lot of pockets for access of the items you show. Take a look at this post where there is an embedded video review of a guy using a Parental Unit as a camera bag. The end of the video shows what it looks like carried and accessed. The load-out is not dissimilar to some of the items you want to carry.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

luisdent You might consider the organization of the Parent Unit which has easier horizontal access to items than the Luminary, and has a lot of pockets for access of the items you show. Take a look at this post where there is an embedded video review of a guy using a Parental Unit as a camera bag. The end of the video shows what it looks like carried and accessed. The load-out is not dissimilar to some of the items you want to carry.

HTH

moriond
          more options?!?! i need less! haha. that does looks nice. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the bag, and i think i prefer the multiple pockets of the pilot and makers bag rather than sections. i wish I could try them all, but despite their generosity in letting me try bags and return them, i want to narrow it down to 2 or 3 at most.

no, we can't try things out in a store, so their policy makes sense, but i also don't want to be unreasonable or abusive of their policy. right now I'm thinking of ordering the pilot, co-pilot, and makers bag.

as one last bit of info, here is everything i had in my luminary 15 in my mcb minus the jacket which you can still see in the first photo on the floor. I'm not gonna lie, i absolutely love my mcb. it's the perfect size for what i want a bag to be. I've tried to minimize my gear, but i just can't go any smaller. i hate to move away from it, but the gear dictates the bag essentially i suppose...

Last edited by luisdent; 10-27-2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_085345.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	336823 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_085313.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	336822 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_085247.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	336821 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_085224.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	336820 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_085203.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	336819 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211027_085153.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	5.02 MB
ID:	336818

Comment

i pulled the trigger. I'm going to compare the mb pilot bags and see which works. wish me luck!

Comment

What in the WORLD have I gotten myself into? I got my bags today... Wow. They are all so awesome. And OMG, the viridian interior of the makers bag is gorgeous. So awesome...

But... now the dilemma.... Which one do I keep?!?! I thought this was going to be so easy. I thought the makers bag was going to be too big and not enough compartmentalization. The pilot and co pilot would come down to which fits my gear best. Boom. Done...

Boy was I wrong. They ALL fit my gear with one caveat, the co-pilot doesn't (at least realistically) fit my micro puff jacket. So this post might be as much for myself as anyone else, but i thought i'd share some thoughts on the bags. Everyone is welcome to chime in with opinions.

I tried the co-pilot first, and everything fits except the jacket. and there is plenty of room to spare (not enough for a jacket obviously). Each pocket has room to spare. Everything mostly has a place.

Then I tried the pilot, and it fits my jacket. Snug, but well. The bag obviously has more room and is much more flexible. With the same exact load I can add my switch and controller. So there's obviously more room, but it doesn't look or feel "that" much bigger. However, I do love the small footprint of the co pilot.

Then I tried the makers bag. Ugggggh.... It's like a big mcb with more organization. And a lot more open space. Fits my jacket, everything else, and my switch. It does "feel" a little bigger than the pilot, I'm not sure that it looks that much bigger to others, but it also does wrap around the body a bit more, so i think it might be a bit more comfortable... Not sure yet.

The absolute strap also surprised me. I've always thought it was a superfluous add-on. Not that it doesn't have value, but it can't be that much better for a bag that already isn't too heavy... right.... right?

Well, it is a bit bulkier than a normal mcb strap, but it doesn't feel that much more than the pilot strap. and as the pilot strap has the padding added on so to speak, the absolute strap feels slimmer. And as for comfort, it's like the bag is suspended on bouncy softness. Instead of feeling a strap (even a decent strap) it feels more like there is just a gentle hand on your shoulder. Very impressed. I usually rock a straight strap with no padding to save space and have it not get in the way, but i may be reconsidering.

So the makers bag is probably my favorite in terms of sheer versatility, space... except that it is a lot more floppy than the pilots. But there are ups and downs to that.

The pilot is my favorite in terms of looks. The co pilot is my favorite in terms of size and compactness... So the question now is, do i need to carry a jacket or something? And do i prefer space and versatility over form and shape? I like that the pilot zips shut, but i'm not too concerned with the makers bag. The mcb bugged me at first without a closed top, but that went away quickly and i've used it for years and never lost a thing. Not only that, but there is little i carry in the main compartment that isn't tethered or too big to fall out easily anyway... but STILL, it's nice to have the zippered sections, and they are more distinct sections, more weather protected, etc. But the makers bag has a decent amount of pouched and rings, so that's nice.

we are so blessed to be able to choose from multiple amazing bags, and yet the ability to choose sometimes seems like a curse :-P
                Last edited by luisdent; 11-05-2021, 07:25 AM.

Comment

so i swapped my gear between the bags a few times and got a good feel for them. For my current load with no jacket, the co-pilot is the most compact, and i dig it. It's almost more organized in some way than the pilot. Maybe i'm crazy, but the smaller pockets somehow manage to fit things better while making the accessible.

anyhow, despite this, the pilot isn't much bigger, to my eye it looks more "normal" in proportions vs. the co pilot. with that being said, the organization in a literal sense, is basically identical, but with more space. however, the form of the bag keeps it a bit more compact than the makers bag. The makers bag is floppy ("almost" too floppy). but i could see the makers bag promoting too much carry... it's a superb bag, and part of me wants to keep it and a pilot, but alas, in the end, i think the pilot works better for my style of carry. by the slightest of margins.

the pocket sizes and shape of the pilot just fit my stuff and give me simple access while allowing a jacket if needed and even my switch and a controller. The mb fits the switch as well, but there's really nowhere to put it and a controller other than loose in the bag, which i'm not a fan of. and adding a case makes it take up more space. the switch fits in the pilot pocket in the main section and the controller (pro controller) fits in the front pockets.

so the pilot ends up being more compact, a bit more organized for me, and in my opinion a "little" bit nicer looking. I like the simple style of the mb, but i feel like it "almost" has a diaper bag look going for it. not a big deal, but from a purely aesthetic perspective the pilot looks a little more "messenger bag" and better imo.

the absolute strap is staying. mmm. so i think the pilot is the keeper. but omg i will miss the viridian interior of the mb. man is that an awesome color... i'll give it a day or two and see if i change my mind, but i almost ripped off the tags tonight to make it final
                  Last edited by luisdent; 11-05-2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Glad you found one (or more haha) you really like! I also appreciate posts where it’s clear I’m not the only one with a running internal commentary of all the pros and cons of each bag. :-)

Originally posted by luisdent View Post
                    so i swapped my gear between the bags a few times and got a good feel for them. For my current load with no jacket, the co-pilot is the most compact, and i dig it. It's almost more organized in some way than the pilot. Maybe i'm crazy, but the smaller pockets somehow manage to fit things better while making the accessible.

anyhow, despite this, the pilot isn't much bigger, to my eye it looks more "normal" in proportions vs. the co pilot. with that being said, the organization in a literal sense, is basically identical, but with more space. however, the form of the bag keeps it a bit more compact than the makers bag. The makers bag is floppy ("almost" too floppy). but i could see the makers bag promoting too much carry... it's a superb bag, and part of me wants to keep it and a pilot, but alas, in the end, i think the pilot works better for my style of carry. by the slightest of margins.

the pocket sizes and shape of the pilot just fit my stuff and give me simple access while allowing a jacket if needed and even my switch and a controller. The mb fits the switch as well, but there's really nowhere to put it and a controller other than loose in the bag, which i'm not a fan of. and adding a case makes it take up more space. the switch fits in the pilot pocket in the main section and the controller (pro controller) fits in the front pockets.

so the pilot ends up being more compact, a bit more organized for me, and in my opinion a "little" bit nicer looking. I like the simple style of the mb, but i feel like it "almost" has a diaper bag look going for it. not a big deal, but from a purely aesthetic perspective the pilot looks a little more "messenger bag" and better imo.

the absolute strap is staying. mmm. so i think the pilot is the keeper. but omg i will miss the viridian interior of the mb. man is that an awesome color... i'll give it a day or two and see if i change my mind, but i almost ripped off the tags tonight to make it final

Comment

Haha, I have to agree with Cristina … I'm glad I'm not the only one that runs through this kind of endless internal dialog trying to make a decision between options. Sounds like they're all winners and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you pick! (I just got a MCB during the last pre-order to carry my iPad Pro and a few other items as a light load and I love it. I also bought a CoPilot recently, mostly because it was in stock in "my color" … haven't had a chance to use it yet but it is a smart-looking little bag!)
                      ---
                      My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
                      Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
                      With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

The copilot is awesome. i'm sure you'll love it if it fits your load. I ended up keeping the pilot. I may do a video comparison before i send the others back, but the pilot is the keeper

Tags have been removed and custom paracord zipper pulls attached. :-)

Name:	image_24393.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	4.64 MB
ID:	337055

The co pilot was the most discreet, but now and then i like to carry something a little more like a switch, or my jacket, or whatever. just a little more, but the co pilot wouldn't allow that realistically. The pilot isn't much bigger, looks more normal proportions, and does fit extra things when needed. The maker's bag is superb as well and I'm pretty sure i'd absolutely love having one, but there are a few things that the pilot has that pushed me that way.

first, closed compartments. this is subjective, but i like having separate closed sections to quickly access gear. while the mb allows a large open space, and does have pockets, organizing certain things is just easier in closed sections. The mb tended to sag a lot more than i prefer. even moreso than the mcb due to it's extra size. i don't think it is a problem per se, but i like the way that, even when it isn't packed full and it wraps around you a bit, the pilot is more structured and maintains a fairly normal shape, relatively speaking compared to the mb. I also like that things are more secured zipped away. It is also a bit more compact, not only in overall size and shape, but because of the compartments. they help maintain the shape. the mb is better for tossing in large things if needed, but i found the areas in the mb tended to hang down or forward and while it organized very nicely and everything fit, I actually feel like i get the same gear into the pilot more neatly which results in more functional space...

i kinda wish i could keep both, but for the price, i can't justify that. the pilot is the most ideal, and after a few days of use is already my favorite bag i've ever owned. the absolute strap makes it super comfy too, no matter what i put in it.
                        Last edited by luisdent; 11-08-2021, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Great review, and I totally agree regarding closed compartments!

The copilot is awesome. i'm sure you'll love it if it fits your load. I ended up keeping the pilot. I may do a video comparison before i send the others back, but the pilot is the keeper

Tags have been removed and custom paracord zipper pulls attached. :-)

Name:	image_24393.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	4.64 MB
ID:	337055

The co pilot was the most discreet, but now and then i like to carry something a little more like a switch, or my jacket, or whatever. just a little more, but the co pilot wouldn't allow that realistically. The pilot isn't much bigger, looks more normal proportions, and does fit extra things when needed. The maker's bag is superb as well and I'm pretty sure i'd absolutely love having one, but there are a few things that the pilot has that pushed me that way.

first, closed compartments. this is subjective, but i like having separate closed sections to quickly access gear. while the mb allows a large open space, and does have pockets, organizing certain things is just easier in closed sections. The mb tended to sag a lot more than i prefer. even moreso than the mcb due to it's extra size. i don't think it is a problem per se, but i like the way that, even when it isn't packed full and it wraps around you a bit, the pilot is more structured and maintains a fairly normal shape, relatively speaking compared to the mb. I also like that things are more secured zipped away. It is also a bit more compact, not only in overall size and shape, but because of the compartments. they help maintain the shape. the mb is better for tossing in large things if needed, but i found the areas in the mb tended to hang down or forward and while it organized very nicely and everything fit, I actually feel like i get the same gear into the pilot more neatly which results in more functional space...

i kinda wish i could keep both, but for the price, i can't justify that. the pilot is the most ideal, and after a few days of use is already my favorite bag i've ever owned. the absolute strap makes it super comfy too, no matter what i put in it.

Comment

Working...
                          X