Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,174   Members: 6,595   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 16.2" MacBook Pro in Synic 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dillius
    replied
    Originally posted by PeaceBell View Post

The internal frame is outside the laptop compartment and in the luggage pass-through 'tunnel'. In my first photo above, you can see the internal frame is poking out a little (on the left, near the shoulder strap). I tend to face the screen out too since sometimes I place a camera with a tripod plate in the main compartment, right next to the laptop. While the spacer mesh provides adequate protection, I do not want the tripod plate to exert too much pressure on the screen.
    Interesting, I should be getting my Synik 30 this week and will have to try it out. I've always faced the screen away from my back to avoid damaging the screen WITH my back, but with the internal frame between my back and the compartment maybe the screen facing the back is the safer way.

Leave a comment:

• PeaceBell
    replied
    Originally posted by dillius View Post

...but I'm not sure where the internal frame is relative to the laptop compartment.
    The internal frame is outside the laptop compartment and in the luggage pass-through 'tunnel'. In my first photo above, you can see the internal frame is poking out a little (on the left, near the shoulder strap). I tend to face the screen out too since sometimes I place a camera with a tripod plate in the main compartment, right next to the laptop. While the spacer mesh provides adequate protection, I do not want the tripod plate to exert too much pressure on the screen.

Leave a comment:

• PeaceBell
    replied
    Originally posted by buttoncurler View Post
    I have one of the new 16.2 Pro/Max MBP's, and it fits in a Synik 30's side zipper compartment well, if you start it going in with a corner and then rotate into place.
    I do not have a 2021 16" MBP, but I have in hand a 2011 15" MBP which is larger in every dimension - perhaps some photos will help:

1. Place the S30 on its side and insert the MBP in portrait orientation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5265.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	337995

2. Rotate the MBP 90 degrees, take care not to brush against the zipper slider - I managed to scratch one edge of my 2019 16" this way:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24558.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	337997

3. The MBP is in with room to spare!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5267.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	337996

Leave a comment:

• dillius
    replied
    I do tend to run my bag full. I worry about the non flat contents of the bag impacting the screen. I put a clipboard right along the back big compartment between the straps and let it absorb the stress of the contents. None of this is specific to the new larger MBP, certainly not with any of the other compartments.
    Yea I've had the same concern with other bags. I wonder if the placement of the internal frame would influence how you should put your laptop in the compartment? Normally I would do screen out, with the bottom against my back, but I'm not sure where the internal frame is relative to the laptop compartment.

Leave a comment:

• buttoncurler
    replied
    I do tend to run my bag full. I worry about the non flat contents of the bag impacting the screen. I put a clipboard right along the back big compartment between the straps and let it absorb the stress of the contents. None of this is specific to the new larger MBP, certainly not with any of the other compartments.

Other option is a laptop sleeve in the main compartment, harder to get laptop in/out but no concerns for space or safety. (And due to design, no wasted space either.)

Leave a comment:

• dillius
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post

Welcome to the Forums dillius !

I haven't seen anyone post that they're tried that combo yet. You can always also reach out to Customer Service (they're back at work today after the holiday break) and get their input too, if you need a perspective sooner rather than later.
    I did reach out to customer support as well, and they responded very quickly once back from vacation:

The new 2021 16" MacBook is a bit larger than the previous model, but from what we've tested and heard as feedback, the new model will still fit in the laptop compartment of the Synik 30. It is, however, a bit more tricky to remove it and insert it from the side access zipper.

Leave a comment:

• dillius
    replied
    I have one of the new 16.2 Pro/Max MBP's, and it fits in a Synik 30's side zipper compartment well, if you start it going in with a corner and then rotate into place. Nothing stretching too far, nothing feeling like it's going to damage the device while wearing the bag. I don't have any cases or anything else protecting it yet. I haven't tried it going in the top zipper inside the bag, just the side zipper. Happy to try and answer any other questions.
    Thanks very much for the info! Do you tend to run your bag fairly full or no? Wondering if the size of it will cause any issues with the other compartments being filled up.

This may just be my inexperience with Tom Bihn though; historically I've had less organized/divided bags (Goruck, Osprey Farpoint, etc...)

Leave a comment:

• buttoncurler
    replied
    I have one of the new 16.2 Pro/Max MBP's, and it fits in a Synik 30's side zipper compartment well, if you start it going in with a corner and then rotate into place. Nothing stretching too far, nothing feeling like it's going to damage the device while wearing the bag. I don't have any cases or anything else protecting it yet. I haven't tried it going in the top zipper inside the bag, just the side zipper. Happy to try and answer any other questions.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by dillius View Post
    Has anyone ever found an answer to this one? I have been searching around quite a bit but haven't found any first-hand accounts of trying to use this combination.
    Welcome to the Forums dillius !

I haven't seen anyone post that they're tried that combo yet. You can always also reach out to Customer Service (they're back at work today after the holiday break) and get their input too, if you need a perspective sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• dillius
    replied
    Has anyone ever found an answer to this one? I have been searching around quite a bit but haven't found any first-hand accounts of trying to use this combination.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by brppreacher View Post
    I have the Synic 30 and was wondering if anyone has tried the new 16.2" MacBook Pro in it? I currently own the previous generation 16" Intel MacBook Pro and it is a bit of a tight fit. The new MBPs with the M1 Pro/Max chips are a little bit bigger. I am thinking about upgrading, but don't want to stick with the 16" size if it won't fit in my pack. Thanks!
    Welcome to the Forums!

If you don't find someone with the new laptop size, you can also always contact the fine folks in Customer Service for their expertise

Leave a comment:

• brppreacher
    started a topic New 16.2" MacBook Pro in Synic 30

New 16.2" MacBook Pro in Synic 30

I have the Synic 30 and was wondering if anyone has tried the new 16.2" MacBook Pro in it? I currently own the previous generation 16" Intel MacBook Pro and it is a bit of a tight fit. The new MBPs with the M1 Pro/Max chips are a little bit bigger. I am thinking about upgrading, but don't want to stick with the 16" size if it won't fit in my pack. Thanks!
Working...
X