Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Flight Travel Duffel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Flight Travel Duffel question

Hi! Can anyone confirm when the Night Flight Travel Duffel debuted? I thought maybe 2014. Thanks!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
    Hi! Can anyone confirm when the Night Flight Travel Duffel debuted? I thought maybe 2014. Thanks!
    @bchaplin
    The Night Flight Travel Duffel debuted at the same time as the Aeronaut 30; see the June 30, 2014 blog post Introducing the Aeronaut 30 and Four More Designs

moriond

Comment

Wow, that was a great release!

Comment

Originally posted by loma View Post
        Wow, that was a great release!
        It you’re interested in more details about how closely that product release was followed, I’ll just note that the statistics for the all-time high of number of people accessing the web site were for that product release.
        “Most users ever online was 14,476 at 04:16 PM on 07-01-2014”
        The thread that most of us were on was Starting up the 24 hour countdown clock
        You can see people trying to work out details about what the announced products might be from facts like finding out there were NFTD packing cubes and what their dimensions were. Later on in the thread Darcy, in her evil hints mode, left a photo up with the book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry in focus in the foreground, and a bag in the back. The difference in spelling in the June 30, 2014 blog post that I linked was real — it was introduced as Night Flight Travel Duffle, even while the Yeoman Duffel used a different spelling. (I never did receive a good answer to my question at the time about how they decided on the variants, but eventually this became spelled as “Duffel”).

If you want a sense of what that period was like, the blog post that immediately followed (chronologically) the June 30, 2014 blog post that I liked, describes it. JULY 6TH, 2014 Forum Roundup: The Big Reveal
        https://web.archive.org/web/20150221...dup-big-reveal

These blog pages can no longer be easily accessed through the regular Tom BIHN blog, where options to search by time, etc. have been removed, so I’ve used the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine. I suspect there are a lot of reasons for making these hard to find. The hosting site for forums and blog changed on March 16. 2016, so the URL prefixes to link to the forums all changed then. The March 10, 2021 forum upgrade to vBulletin5, which forced a reindexing of all forum threads, so that links in older threads no longer worked, and so we also lost support for TapaTalk use (and many image uploaded that way disappeared), was another game changer. About half the forum user names referenced in that post are likely to be unfamiliar to recent members, unless they stumble across recent references (e.g., with the Double Organizer pouches in the restock, I mentioned @taminca’s posts and pictures in the Double Organizer Pouch thread from 2014). Even the author of that blog post, Badger, who was a forum moderator at the time, is no longer an active participant. Plus, many of the other blog postings over that period, which display visually appealing travel tours, have web accessibility issues that they have been trying to address.

I will say that I miss being able to access overviews like the December 31st 2014 In Review blog post
        https://web.archive.org/web/20150220...og/2014-review

And I personally like directly accessing the debut pages of the original version release of the Parental Unit and its blog review by nsh that year, but I assume they don’t want to confuse people about features like the Quick-Adjust Messenger strap (that I love) no longer being a design option.

I’ll just add that it is possible to identify a number of the links (that don’t work in their current forms) like a slender Aeronaut....an Aeronette? from 2008 and Official Aeronaut 30 Thread from 04-30-2014 as two of the threads mentioned in the first paragraph, and the So what did you order?! thread from 06-30-2014 as popping up later.

HTH to convey a flavor of the times.

moriond

Last edited by moriond; 11-22-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X