Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,229   Members: 6,597   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, ellemef.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/7 Restock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/7 Restock

Darcy If I currently go on the website and view the upcoming restock of the GWP’s, it only shows current color/size options. Is there a way to have the restock color/size options added to the list? I’m guessing all sizes will be available but I’m more curious on colors and fabrics. Thank you.

Did anyone see Solaris Travel Stuff Sacks? I assume there was only one and someone snagged it. I was pretty diligent about refreshing every few seconds from 06:58-07:10 and only saw a Size 1 Wasabi and a Size 2 Ultraviolet pop up.

Edit: They showed up at about 07:15, one by one. I was able to pick up a Size 4 Solaris for me and a Size 3 Acuity for my mom. I had a Size 3 Solaris in my cart but it was gone by checkout and I assume the Size 1 was snagged while I was in that process.
    Last edited by Selcouth; 01-07-2022, 07:25 AM.
    Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

Selcouth, it's not just you. I had some stuff sacks and some other items in my wish list that never went available for me. Struck out on 5 out of 6 items in all.

Comment

Based on the size of the list of items and how they seem to move the inventory online (it's very apparent that it's not one mass upload), it seemed to take a good 15minutes or more to get everything listed this time (previously smaller low-quantity restocks took less time). At that point, the very small quantities were probably bought by folks who made any given item their priority and saw as soon as it was posted. I managed to get a couple items I wanted, but not all...and there are definitely some low quantity restock items still available.
        As Darcy has mentioned, it's not a perfect system but it's better than not offering the items back for sale.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          Based on the size of the list of items and how they seem to move the inventory online (it's very apparent that it's not one mass upload), it seemed to take a good 15minutes or more to get everything listed this time (previously smaller low-quantity restocks took less time). At that point, the very small quantities were probably bought by folks who made any given item their priority and saw as soon as it was posted. I managed to get a couple items I wanted, but not all...and there are definitely some low quantity restock items still available.
          As Darcy has mentioned, it's not a perfect system but it's better than not offering the items back for sale.
          I agree with this. And different color options didn’t all show up at once.Maybe adopt @kkintea’s strategy of having multiple tabs for different products open at once and just keep refreshing,. Large ticket items also tend to stay around longer, so the person who was looking for Western Flyers and Tri-Stars still has a good shot at getting an order.

moriond

Comment

Yeah, it was a bit of a bumpy ride I got most of what I wanted, though (adopting the multiple tabs + refresh strategy). Only a WF large packing cube disappeared from my cart before I could hit "buy now".

No complaints. I'm sure TB staff are doing their best. And, as others have said, this is better than not offering things that people might be looking for.

Comment

I convinced myself to get a Brain Bag after seeing my oldest's.

I then convinced myself to pull the trigger when I saw grey was available.

Put the grey one in my cart after completing another order, went to go check out...

No mas. Womp, womp.

Comment

Originally posted by MTeric22 View Post
                Darcy If I currently go on the website and view the upcoming restock of the GWP’s, it only shows current color/size options. Is there a way to have the restock color/size options added to the list? I’m guessing all sizes will be available but I’m more curious on colors and fabrics. Thank you.
                That's actually how it should work (restock color/size options added to the list) and I'm not sure why it didn't this time (looking into it.) We'll make sure it happens that way next time.

Originally posted by Kevo View Post
                Selcouth, it's not just you. I had some stuff sacks and some other items in my wish list that never went available for me. Struck out on 5 out of 6 items in all.
                Originally posted by moriond View Post
                I agree with this. And different color options didn’t all show up at once.Maybe adopt @kkintea’s strategy of having multiple tabs for different products open at once and just keep refreshing,. Large ticket items also tend to stay around longer, so the person who was looking for Western Flyers and Tri-Stars still has a good shot at getting an order.

moriond
                It was so slow to upload! We were biting our fingernails this morning.

Restocks are always one mass upload. However, to make a long story short, today's upload was using a different system because it included year-end counts. Plus, the list was unusually long because of those year-end counts *and* the fact that we didn't get around to doing a low quantity restock since (I think) late October because things were particularly busy here at the factory.

To sum it up: the next regular restocks and the low quantity restock will upload as quickly as they historically have, since we'll be back to the usual mass upload method and our plan is to offer the low quantity restocks on a monthly basis now that we're past the holidays.

We have discussed going back to our previous method of just uploading the low quantities once they're received or counted, without notifying anyone. The downside there though is folks aren't notified if/when these items are once again available, so it requires a lot of product page checking if one is looking for a specific color... it might be more likely to miss out on the particular item, actually. And it's become too logistically complex for the customer service crew to field a high number of emails from folks asking if we might have a particular bag or color on the shelves, unfortunately. So, putting up the low quantity restocks once a month is seeming like the best plan to us... let us know what you all think, of course.

What we're also discussing is how to prevent this from happening at the end of next year, and whether we can use the typical mass upload method instead of the one we used today.

Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
                Yeah, it was a bit of a bumpy ride I got most of what I wanted, though (adopting the multiple tabs + refresh strategy). Only a WF large packing cube disappeared from my cart before I could hit "buy now".

No complaints. I'm sure TB staff are doing their best. And, as others have said, this is better than not offering things that people might be looking for.
                Thank you for your understanding and I'm glad you were able to get most of what you wanted!

And to everyone who wasn't able to get what they wanted 'cause of the slow upload or just that they were low quantities: we're sorry about that. Honestly, it was overwhelming for all of us here who work in customer service and on the website, too. As shared above, this isn't the norm, and we are discussing ways we can make the process better next time around.
                Last edited by Darcy; 01-07-2022, 02:46 PM.
                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Interesting. In previous restocks, with multiple tabs open and refreshing, there still seems to be a time lag of minutes (up to five or more) on some of the items appearing, even if you mass upload them. That, of course, could be some artifact on my end, but moriond may concur as she has answered posts previously about items showing up after a lag.

As for the overall system (knowing nothing is perfect), I greatly prefer the announcement of low qty restocks because it seems more fair to everyone, including the TB staff trying to herd cats.
                  Last edited by G42; 01-07-2022, 04:15 PM.
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I would readily believe that having all items update for everyone (worldwide) within a few seconds or even minutes is quite challenging.

Also, these low quantity restocks seem like an edge case for the e-commerce side of TB and far from the designing-and-producing-great-bags part of the company. That said, TB customer service is amazing and I think the fact that they’re trying to make this (even) smoother for us is yet another sign of their amazing-ness.

I don’t particularly like hitting refresh repeatedly and I’ve experienced the frustration of having something sell out while I’m checking out. But I prefer to think that these are minor annoyances compared to how very much I appreciate that these low quantity items are offered systematically at all. (I also appreciate TB’s friendly reminder that this is the hit-or-miss experience we should expect for low quantity restocks.)

So thank you for all your efforts today!

Comment

Darcy I'm happy that the limited restock items are going to people that want them rather than sitting on an inventory shelf. I recognize that when I am able to "win the race" on an item there are probably ten people that feel awful losing it. Likewise, the wind is let out of my sails when I miss a limited item.

If there was a way to know that the one restocked Solaris Size 1 TSS was already sold that would be nice. The frustrating part for me is not knowing what's going on. I know it frustrates you guys too.

I don't have a silver bullet recommendation to solve the system. A lottery system has its own issues, auctioning would not be right, first come first serve is probably the least bad option.
                      Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

Originally posted by Selcouth View Post
                        Darcy I'm happy that the limited restock items are going to people that want them rather than sitting on an inventory shelf. I recognize that when I am able to "win the race" on an item there are probably ten people that feel awful losing it. Likewise, the wind is let out of my sails when I miss a limited item.
                        Yesterday, I felt the wind leaving my sails when the Black P.I.K.A. Pouch disappeared from my cart while I was checking out. I've been trying to get my hands on a black one practically since they were first released, but have missed out every time. After reading through this thread, and hearing about how it took a while for some items to be listed, on a whim, I went back in today, and tried again to order the PIKA...and was finally able to "Win the Race!" Order confirmed and it is full sail ahead to the Tom Bihn Anticipation thread while I await my long wished for prize!!!
                        Last edited by Sacharissa; 01-08-2022, 02:52 PM.
                        On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
                        One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

Comment

Darcy I really like the idea of a low quantity restock happening once a month. I genuinely appreciate the tom bihn crew taking the time to post the list ahead of these low quantity restocks since it means I can at least have a chance of snagging a particular color combination I might have had my eye on. I really appreciate your insight as to why the most recent restock took longer than expected to load all of the items into the system. Hopefully things go more smoothly in the future!

Comment

Interesting. In previous restocks, with multiple tabs open and refreshing, there still seems to be a time lag of minutes (up to five or more) on some of the items appearing, even if you mass upload them. That, of course, could be some artifact on my end, but moriond may concur as she has answered posts previously about items showing up after a lag.

As for the overall system (knowing nothing is perfect), I greatly prefer the announcement of low qty restocks because it seems more fair to everyone, including the TB staff trying to herd cats.
                            Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            I would readily believe that having all items update for everyone (worldwide) within a few seconds or even minutes is quite challenging.

Also, these low quantity restocks seem like an edge case for the e-commerce side of TB and far from the designing-and-producing-great-bags part of the company. That said, TB customer service is amazing and I think the fact that they’re trying to make this (even) smoother for us is yet another sign of their amazing-ness.

I don’t particularly like hitting refresh repeatedly and I’ve experienced the frustration of having something sell out while I’m checking out. But I prefer to think that these are minor annoyances compared to how very much I appreciate that these low quantity items are offered systematically at all. (I also appreciate TB’s friendly reminder that this is the hit-or-miss experience we should expect for low quantity restocks.)

So thank you for all your efforts today!
                            Originally posted by teamZMO View Post
                            Darcy I really like the idea of a low quantity restock happening once a month. I genuinely appreciate the tom bihn crew taking the time to post the list ahead of these low quantity restocks since it means I can at least have a chance of snagging a particular color combination I might have had my eye on. I really appreciate your insight as to why the most recent restock took longer than expected to load all of the items into the system. Hopefully things go more smoothly in the future!
                            Thank you, each of you, for your understanding and feedback on all of this. I am always amazed at the lengths our crew goes to in order to offer the best experience we can (like the idea, and then the work, to program Countron to auto-combine orders placed before we "batch" for shipping) This is an interesting one, because there's things we see that we can do differently that'd help (once a month Low Quantity Restock, using a single (instead of multiple) and the usual mass upload method, updating the blog post list, and so on) and I've also now learned of a limitation that's actually a Shopify (our shopping cart/back end of the website) which is...

Apparently, no matter the mass upload method, Shopify updates each individual SKU (color/size of an item) one-by-one. So, if you upload 100 items, a little hourglass will show up for each one as Shopify individually uploads them. That's why it can take between 1-5 minutes or so for even regular restocks to all upload on the website, and it's part of the reason why Friday's really big Low Quantity Restock took forever. We don't have control over that, unfortunately, though we will share our feedback with Shopify (keeping in mind they might have limitations on their end or reasons why that's the better way for things to upload.)

Originally posted by Selcouth View Post

If there was a way to know that the one restocked Solaris Size 1 TSS was already sold that would be nice. The frustrating part for me is not knowing what's going on. I know it frustrates you guys too.

I don't have a silver bullet recommendation to solve the system. A lottery system has its own issues, auctioning would not be right, first come first serve is probably the least bad option.
                            That's helpful. I think the best solution is to do what we can to keep the list of Low Quantity restocks as short as possible: that way, those items will upload to the website faster, and a shorter list makes it much more reasonable for one of us here at TB to update it as items sell out, which is the best way we can think of to address the not-knowing part you're describing above. What do you think about that, would it help if we were able to update the list in the blog post?

Originally posted by Sacharissa View Post

Yesterday, I felt the wind leaving my sails when the Black P.I.K.A. Pouch disappeared from my cart while I was checking out. I've been trying to get my hands on a black one practically since they were first released, but have missed out every time. After reading through this thread, and hearing about how it took a while for some items to be listed, on a whim, I went back in today, and tried again to order the PIKA...and was finally able to "Win the Race!" Order confirmed and it is full sail ahead to the Tom Bihn Anticipation thread while I await my long wished for prize!!!
                            Yay!!!!

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                              That's helpful. I think the best solution is to do what we can to keep the list of Low Quantity restocks as short as possible: that way, those items will upload to the website faster, and a shorter list makes it much more reasonable for one of us here at TB to update it as items sell out, which is the best way we can think of to address the not-knowing part you're describing above. What do you think about that, would it help if we were able to update the list in the blog post?
                              Smaller low quantity restocks resulting in a faster upload process sounds like a good plan. That hits the major pain points for the most customers and staff. Assigning a staff member to manually update the blog post stock list sounds like unneeded overhead and maybe still susceptible to delays. If it isn't feasible to automate the stock list it's probably not worth the effort. Limited quantity restocks are likely to be sold within minutes of listing so as long as the listing is timely the issue resolves itself.
                              Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

Working...
                              X