Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,567   Members: 6,642   Active Members: 253
Welcome to our newest member, vihattechin.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacity of Small Cafe Bag vs Zeitgeist + Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by drs0043 View Post
    Tonya I guess I'm just a backpack person at heart, too, so just based on your own description, I'd say it's worth a shot!
    Excellent advice! Thanks again!!!

Leave a comment:

• drs0043
    replied
    Tonya I figured it would be weird carrying a backpack around all the time--like to the store, running errands, etc.--but it actually feels more natural than all of the other carry options I've tried. (And trust me, I've tried a lot! haha). I guess I'm just a backpack person at heart, too, so just based on your own description, I'd say it's worth a shot! As for the straps, it's important to note that they're buttery smooth--by the looks of it, made with the 525d black ballistic material. I don't mind that they're slippery, because once they're on, they stay on, but it does make one shoulder carry a little more difficult. Not saying it's impossible, but it's definitely easier when there's some weight in the bag.

I really can't say enough about this bag! I just love it. I even ordered one in all black to have for those times when all black is called for (and because I want to have a backup in case they get the ax in the production schedule). I'm curious to see how it compares to my Nightwalk one.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    drs0043 Thank you so much! Your post is extremely helpful. I really do love the ZG colors in production and the size seems exactly what I need, so I'm still considering this bag. I'm a backpacker by nature, so the ZG seems like a perfect fit except I don't usually go for backpacks when I'm in town on errands, which is really what I need this bag for. Do you ever use it as a one-shoulder carry? I wonder how the ZG feels when thrown over a shoulder. I carry my DLBP like that all the time, thanks to its soft flexible shoulder straps, but it's too large for running errands and stuff gets lost in it. My S25 does not carry well that way, for several reasons.

Leave a comment:

• drs0043
    replied
    I love both the SCB and the ZG, but since receiving the ZG I find myself always reaching for it. It's so light (even if it sounds heavier than a SCB on paper, the weight is negligible because it's on your back), the organization is just right, and the bag flexes so well--it is good both underpacked or slightly overpacked. The SCB, on the other hand, does best slightly underpacked, which means it's really more like a 4L bag for me. Meanwhile, the ZG is probably closer to 8 or so in practice. I often stuff a fleece in there with my 32oz water bottle, a kindle, notebook, and then whatever is in the pockets--full, but not awkward. The rain flaps get in the way somewhat at times, but I love the aesthetic, so don't mind. And the zippers are lovely to use--they are a bit noisy, but they are also really smooth. Plus, the large opening is a really nice thing.

Organization wise, I use the inner zip pocket for a small notebook, my wallet, and any other valuables. The exterior pocket serves as a kind of dump pocket, with gum, receipts, headphones, etc. going in there. I use the device pocket as a separator, or for my kindle. A slip would fit, but would definitely take up some space. The bag is so compact and opens so wide that I've just taken to throwing things in--they're usually really easy to find. Inside the main compartment, the only organization I use is a size 1 TSS with small essential items like lotion, floss, bandaids, etc.

Overall, the ZG has pushed the SCB out of the way for now. Not saying it won't find its way back into my life when called for, but I just LOVE the ZG. So much so in fact I ordered a Paragon, since they're similar in many ways. I love that, too, it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Here's a photo from June 2018, new Nordic/Steel DLBC at the rose gardens in Portland, OR to inspire you further

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180630_134434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.67 MB ID:	338230
    Last edited by G42; 01-17-2022, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by cdgerston View Post

The DLBC is, to me, surprisingly one of the most organized bags TB makes…it took me a long time to get one, but once I did, it was the perfect carry all. It has lots of ways to stow stuff, and with a couple of extra pouches clipped in as needed, a ridiculous number of ways to organize stuff. But, it’s a lot bigger than the SK if that’s what you’re used to. On the other hand, it’s easy to bring a water bottle and a layer, and that’s the way to think of it…a bigger SK for that kind of stuff. And I can’t overstate how much I LOVE having those handles on the bag. It’s one my favorite features that I miss whenever I go back to the SK for a while. I also like how pliable and light the DLBC is, and that it stands up without slouching much. Great bag.
    Okay well, THANK YOU! Totally unexpected detour from my original post but what I needed to hear, because I always carry a water bottle and an extra layer is always appreciated. It's funny but your input with the DLBC nearly echos my thoughts regarding my long-standing love affair with my DLBP. I love the simplicity of it and how I can customize it, or not, to my needs. And good grief the DLBC is super affordable, plus it fits nicely in a liter capacity between my SK and DLPB. I also keep coming back to it because there's an old post floating around here somewhere about how an FJN will also fit nicely inside a DLBC, and I have a thing for my FJN also. My FJN is like my right-brained soulmate to my left-brained SK. Your reply inspired me so I'll have to go look for that post and see how I might can fit all my ideas together in one bag. Surely there's a way, right?

Leave a comment:

• cdgerston
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonya View Post

I'm actually considering the DLBC also, especially since my fav TB bag (besides the SK) is my DLBP. The size (much larger!) and lack of interior organization is what's stopping me, but probably the sheer size of it more than anything. But if it carries super light like the DLBP, this may be the answer. Do you repack or put your PCSB or SK inside of it?
    The DLBC is, to me, surprisingly one of the most organized bags TB makes…it took me a long time to get one, but once I did, it was the perfect carry all. It has lots of ways to stow stuff, and with a couple of extra pouches clipped in as needed, a ridiculous number of ways to organize stuff. But, it’s a lot bigger than the SK if that’s what you’re used to. On the other hand, it’s easy to bring a water bottle and a layer, and that’s the way to think of it…a bigger SK for that kind of stuff. And I can’t overstate how much I LOVE having those handles on the bag. It’s one my favorite features that I miss whenever I go back to the SK for a while. I also like how pliable and light the DLBC is, and that it stands up without slouching much. Great bag.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonya View Post

I'm actually considering the DLBC also, especially since my fav TB bag (besides the SK) is my DLBP. The size (much larger!) and lack of interior organization is what's stopping me, but probably the sheer size of it more than anything. But if it carries super light like the DLBP, this may be the answer. Do you repack or put your PCSB or SK inside of it?
    I repack, since my normal work EDC is a backpack and for car errands it's pockets only.

I use cross body bags for when I'll be walking around long enough to need to carry stuff and for whatever reason a backpack isn't a good choice. So, mostly urban type wanders...I like that I can fit a large water bottle, a full size book, and whatever pouches I need to corral any small stuff. I can also fold up a sun shirt...
    I have even stuffed a fleece inside (halcyon) which makes it look like a football, but sometimes, needs must.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    ...And if I need bigger than that, the DLBC.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
    I typically have [SK] inside a much larger backpack, particularly when I'm going to work. Theoretically, the Small Cafe Bag should be roomier, and in certain circumstances it holds more, but IMO the SK with its built-in organization sometimes lets you cram a lot more in an easily findable way, if that makes sense. It depends on what you are carrying though.
    That does make sense, and I've also noticed how the organization of the SK makes it seem much larger than it is. The SK does fit just fine inside my DLBP and my S25, and I'll sometimes do this, but I prefer not to for a number of reasons, mainly because opening one bag to remove another bag so I can then open it and FINALLY get to my stuff is a little tedious. I'd rather just repack. However, I work from home so if I just did this solely for a commute, I could see how that would work. But I need a one-bag EDC that can handle an entire day spent in town, with a lot of in-and-outs of my car and various stores etc. We live in a secluded, rural area so when I go to town, it's usually for the entire day and includes trips to all types of places, from livestock/feed stores to grocery stores to Target etc.

I love the Zeitgeist for certain things, but I wouldn't switch to it on a regular basis. It just doesn't have that incredible, multi-pocket, built-in organization, and also, a backpack isn't as accessible as a shoulder bag.
    Very true, which is why I don't like them for city trips. Even using a pack as a side carry or sling is more difficult to access than a crossbody bag, though I'd be willing to make the sacrifice for a bag that I loved.

The only suggestion I'd make is to experiment a little more with the Small Cafe Bag, since you already have it. That was my go-to for traveling, and although it was challenging I did make it work for me as an all-day bag. I tried it with the Freudian Slip, or alternatively using lots of internal organizers. I have found that the Ghost Whale pouches are incredible at condensing my things, and for example, the A5 size is a good fit for the SCB. Utilizing all the pockets really helps too, because the organizers and pockets lets you utilize as much of the vertical space as possible. The Freudian Slips sort of fell out of favor with me, because IMO the thick foam takes up a lot of space in a thin bag.
    I adore the slips but only in a much larger-than-the-slip bag. Your suggestion regarding the SCB is brilliant, and I resolved to do just that about 8-10 months ago. But I think I've tried the SCB about every way possible - slips, pouches (love the GW A5!) and just can't get it to work. It's a carry issue also; I'm not crazy about the shoulder strap and the flap with clip is a nightmare. I rarely zip my SK, so having the CB's cumbersome flap and clip to deal with every time I need in/out, OR not dealing with it and having it flap open and closed while I walk, is no good.

A note on the Icon, I just can't do it. It's psychological... it looks JUST like the diaper bag that I carried for years when our children were young. I loved being a mommy to little kids (and now love being a mommy to big kids) but I swore I'd never carry a diaper bag again. If I can ever get my head around it... but probably not so moving on haha!

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    I just read upwards more carefully and saw @G42's comment about the Icon, which definitely is in that category of standalone shoulder bags. And to me, it seems more spacious than even the SCB, but it's all in how you organize it and if you can make the interior space work for you. I'll take it sometimes if I need the extra depth for something bulky. For a while, when I was driving to work, I used it because it fit beverages and lunch items, for example. I usually prefer the Side Kick or Small Cafe Bag, though, because the way the tops open make everything more visible.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    I have all three of these bags, and the Side Kick is by far the most useful for me; I carry it most days. But to be fair, I typically have it inside a much larger backpack, particularly when I'm going to work. Theoretically, the Small Cafe Bag should be roomier, and in certain circumstances it holds more, but IMO the SK with its built-in organization sometimes lets you cram a lot more in an easily findable way, if that makes sense. It depends on what you are carrying though.

I love the Zeitgeist for certain things, but I wouldn't switch to it on a regular basis. It just doesn't have that incredible, multi-pocket, built-in organization, and also, a backpack isn't as accessible as a shoulder bag. To answer the questions you raised about it, though, it's extremely light (to the point that it I almost have to double-check that it's on my back).

With all the extra PPE we have to carry these days anything is a struggle, and I don't skimp -- I always have at least two masks, tissues or wipes, and a mini bottle of hand sanitizer.

The only suggestion I'd make is to experiment a little more with the Small Cafe Bag, since you already have it. That was my go-to for traveling, and although it was challenging I did make it work for me as an all-day bag. I tried it with the Freudian Slip, or alternatively using lots of internal organizers. I have found that the Ghost Whale pouches are incredible at condensing my things, and for example, the A5 size is a good fit for the SCB. Utilizing all the pockets really helps too, because the organizers and pockets lets you utilize as much of the vertical space as possible. The Freudian Slips sort of fell out of favor with me, because IMO the thick foam takes up a lot of space in a thin bag.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 01-17-2022, 04:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    I'm interested in the comparisons people share too, as the SCB is relatively new to me.

Random comment: I've been using a PCSB as my cross body for when the SK isn't big enough... And if I need bigger than that, the DLBC. The Icon also plays in that space but I haven't had much chance to try it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    started a topic Capacity of Small Cafe Bag vs Zeitgeist + Questions

Capacity of Small Cafe Bag vs Zeitgeist + Questions

My EDC around town is a SK (love love love it!) but it's gotten kinda cramped with masks, sanitizer, etc, so early last year I ordered a SCB to give myself more room - supposedly twice as much room based on the capacity listed. I was surprised to find that I can't really pack any more in the SCB than the SK, and I really love the built-in organization of the SK so the SCB has been a wash. (I tried a slip & it took up all the room in the SCB, so that didn't work; also tried a used MCB and it was much too large. I'm being a Goldilocks, I know!) I don't really need another backpack, would prefer a slightly larger crossbody, but I'd break down and get a Zeitgeist if it would work for me, especially since TB has Boreal in production! However, I'm concerned I'll run into the same issues as I did with the SCB.

Questions...
    - Does anyone have any comparisons of true carrying capacity regarding the Zeitgeist vs the SCB?
    - How's the organization on the Zeitgeist? e.g. does an inserted slip leave room for other items? what do you use to organize, if anything? (I don't need the tablet sleeve but can use it to hold something else, I suppose.)
    - How's the weight on the Zeitgeist? It seems rather heavy for what it is - nearly twice as much as my SK - so I wonder how that will be loaded as a sling/shoulder carry.
    - Not super important but just curious, are the zippers on the Zeitgeist super noisy? I can fix this, just want to be prepared.
    Much thanks for any input!
Working...
X