Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,955   Posts: 193,132   Members: 6,830   Active Members: 286
Welcome to our newest member, marcopolo123.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSCA vs Mini YD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSCA vs Mini YD

I've tried searching the forum, but I don't see any comparisons of the old school carry all (OSCA) and the mini yeoman duffle (Mini YD) . I have seen the OSCA being compared to the small, so that might be a better comparison.

I'm curious how the Mini YD looks packed out vs the OSCA. I received the OSCA today and while it's a really cute bag, I'm not sure I like how it bloats out when packed up. I wasn't sure if the Mini YD just kept its round shape and looked less bloated (wide) with the same stuff.

If anyone has some pictures they can post of these two bags side by side (and maybe also a SYD?), that would be greatly appreciated!

Some background for my question:

I'm looking for bags that can easily fit under the seat of budget airlines (max dimensions 16x15x7) and fit basically a days worth of clothes, women's dress flats, toiletries and some tech items (Kindle, Nintendo switch, tablet, over ear headphones). I know this will all fit in my aeronaut 30 and leaving one end pocket empty should make it fit under the seat, but I'm just exploring all options before my trip.

My YDs are in storage, so I can't help with pics, but I'd consider the Zip Top Shop Bags too. They squish/conform to a lot of spaces and work well for when you have a pack on your back. Since they're unstructured black holes, you can dump everything in or use whatever mix of packing cubes/sacks you have....and since they're unstructured, ALL THE VOLUME is easily available for whatever you pack - no need to conform to interior dividers.

I've ended up using a LZTSB in black for a lot of flights since they came out: lightweight, flexible, useful at destination as a random carry bag, hangs on the hook on the bathroom stall door, etc. I leave a Hero Clip attached for even more ways to attach it to things.
    It's one of the only bags I have in black because it goes with everything and hides dirt well (the foot well of a plane seat is pretty dirty). Since it's unlined, it's also pretty easy to clean & drip dry fast vs the more complicated bags.

The Large dimensions are slightly off for the size you mention, but unless you completely stuff it, it won't be a problem.

Sorry to complicate your options
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      My YDs are in storage, so I can't help with pics, but I'd consider the Zip Top Shop Bags too. They squish/conform to a lot of spaces and work well for when you have a pack on your back. Since they're unstructured black holes, you can dump everything in or use whatever mix of packing cubes/sacks you have....and since they're unstructured, ALL THE VOLUME is easily available for whatever you pack - no need to conform to interior dividers.

I've ended up using a LZTSB in black for a lot of flights since they came out: lightweight, flexible, useful at destination as a random carry bag, hangs on the hook on the bathroom stall door, etc. I leave a Hero Clip attached for even more ways to attach it to things.
      It's one of the only bags I have in black because it goes with everything and hides dirt well (the foot well of a plane seat is pretty dirty). Since it's unlined, it's also pretty easy to clean & drip dry fast vs the more complicated bags.

The Large dimensions are slightly off for the size you mention, but unless you completely stuff it, it won't be a problem.

Sorry to complicate your options
      Thank for the suggestion! My only concern with the ZTSB is the one shoulder only carry. This bag shouldn't be too terribly heavy, but it may not be a load I want slung over one shoulder or to be hand carrying. I always tend to pack heavier than I think, even for a super short trip like this.

Comment

I used the OSCA as my underseat bag and it fits fine. No need to squish it down. The nice thing about the OSCA is the separate compartments, so you don't have to open the entire bag to get one item like you would with a Yeoman duffel.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmanila8 View Post
          I used the OSCA as my underseat bag and it fits fine. No need to squish it down. The nice thing about the OSCA is the separate compartments, so you don't have to open the entire bag to get one item like you would with a Yeoman duffel.
          Thank you! That's a good visual of that bag. Empty, it does look a lot smaller when hand carrying it vs the aeronaut, so the gate staff may not even give it a second glance, which is nice. I'll do some test packs tonight and see how it would look for my trip vs the underpacked aeronaut 30.

That's also a good point about the yeoman. It's the one thing I wish it had was an external pocket, but I understand that it's made to be a simple dump and go bag, so I get why it doesn't have one.

Comment

Working...
          X