Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,744   Posts: 190,307   Members: 6,604   Active Members: 256
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a new Brain Bag yet? (Or old!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a new Brain Bag yet? (Or old!)

I’m thinking that the Brain Bag might solve my beach trip problem: I want a backpack as my travel bag AND as my day bag, and at 36 litres, I am wondering if the BB might fit the bill to do double duty.

Is it too big for a day bag, even with one of the main pockets empty?
    How 3D are those external front pockets?

I would appreciate any help. My normal small day backpack is a Paradigm and my normal larger backpack is a Synapse 25 because I feel the Synik 30 is too big for a day bag, but since the BB doesn't have the laptop/frame area, I am wondering if it feels less bulky than the Synik.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

My initial thoughts are to use a smaller backpack as a "packing cube" and put it inside the BB. Travel and then break out the 'Packed" day pack and go from there.

One feature set the BB has that other TB do not is the outside compression straps which helps it wear a bit less "bulky" despite it over all outside foot print v an S30, my EDC..

I find the outside pocket to be a bit less 3d than those on the S30. The upper pocket to date has not been particularly useful as I simply carry too much "Pocket Trash" (wallet/credential case, 2 sets of keys, pocket knife etc ) and it is also too small for a 3-1-1 bag. As I type this, perhaps its best travel use would be for some headphones, small, battery and a cable or 2? snacks? The right sized classes/sunglasses case? Sunscreen and bug spray?

Having said all of that, I would like to see a Synik39-50ish something optimized to fit in the overhead of an SWA 737-800 as they have a bit more capacity than as configured by most other airlines.

Comment

Thank you! Yes I suspect that I have gotten a bit spoiled with the size of the most recent Synapse/Synik side pockets, since they are so big they can hold a TB First/Second Aid Kit. I was really hoping the BB pockets were comparable but it isn’t a deal breaker. I just have to figure out what *does* fit and then plan from there. Interesting that you do not use the top pocket as much. I am thinking it might do for keys, lip balm, sanitizer, tissues. Then all my other daily stuff like phone battery, mini first aid kit, wallet, pen, folding shopping bag, etc, would go into the lower pockets. If it would fit. Lesser used day items in the main front pocket, and the back pocket reserved for travel items like packing cubes, toiletries, etc.

I love your idea for a bag-in-a-bag. I put a Paradigm in a non-TB 32 liter backpack for a trip recently and it did work well. Maybe the Zeitgeist would work well inside a BB? I would definitely pack a tiny bag again just to pull out at my destination, it was perfect.

Originally posted by vcdgrips View Post
      My initial thoughts are to use a smaller backpack as a "packing cube" and put it inside the BB. Travel and then break out the 'Packed" day pack and go from there.

I find the outside pocket to be a bit less 3d than those on the S30. The upper pocket to date has not been particularly useful as I simply carry too much "Pocket Trash" (wallet/credential case, 2 sets of keys, pocket knife etc ) and it is also too small for a 3-1-1 bag. As I type this, perhaps its best travel use would be for some headphones, small, battery and a cable or 2? snacks? The right sized classes/sunglasses case? Sunscreen and bug spray?

Comment

I have an older BB (its Indigo for those that have been around that long) and just tried putting my Second Aid pouch in one of the side pockets. It fits, but isn't a perfect fit. I've also stuffed a full size shampoo bottle in there on road trips and a 3-1-1 pouch on flights.
        Black/Island Synapse 19, Black/Steel, 13" Ristretto, Indigo BB, Island LSB, Black SSB, Sitka SSB, Seapine P.I.K.A, Sitka STT, Sitka SSC

Comment

Ah that’s very interesting! Can’t wait to check it out for myself. I think I have decided to get one, just need to press the button!

Originally posted by aryabird View Post
          I have an older BB (its Indigo for those that have been around that long) and just tried putting my Second Aid pouch in one of the side pockets. It fits, but isn't a perfect fit. I've also stuffed a full size shampoo bottle in there on road trips and a 3-1-1 pouch on flights.

Comment

Working...
          X