Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,744   Posts: 190,307   Members: 6,604   Active Members: 256
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Alec: back panel, cache system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Alec: back panel, cache system

Hi all,

I'm a current SG23 user, considering the SA pre-order so I can get just a little more organization in the bag (while retaining a cavernous main compartment). I have a couple questions for those of you who have used the SG23 back panel with integrated laptop pocket (I think also on the Synik?) vs. something like the SA with a mesh back panel (no frame), and the cache system for laptops:

1) How hot do you find the mesh back panel, compared to mesh + frame?

2) What do you think are pros/cons of the cache system compared to an integrated sleeve/pocket? I think my main concern is that with only two anchor points, the laptop will flop around a bit if there's not much else in the bag. For example, if I broke into a jog, or went over some bumpy terrain on my bike -- would the bottom of the laptop start swinging freely and whack against my back?

Thanks
    SG23 is my walk/bike commuter bag

Hi epeterson, I hope that others will chime in with more specific information. Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question to the point as I have no experience with the Cache system. I'd reckon that a laptop in a designated compartment will certainly move much less than inside the main compartment even if it is attached to the Cache rail system. However, this certainly also depends on what else you carry in your bag. When I use my Smart Alec I put my laptop in a simple neopren sleeve in the bottom pocket of the Freudian Slip (see here: https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...nts#post339493). I almost always carry some other stuff, e.g. an additional sweater or some rain gear (I commute with my bike). Thus, the space for the laptop to move around is limited.

Regarding the back panel: Honestly, I don't notice much difference between the SG23 and the Smart Alec. However, I think that the Mesh does indeed make a lot of difference compared to a full fabric back. And perhaps the new design of the back padding on the SG23 enables some air circulation (more information here: https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/synik-faq#travel) but to me the difference is not vast.
    Last edited by bartleby; 04-26-2022, 06:02 AM. Reason: typo
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
      Hi epeterson, I hope that others will chime in with more specific information. Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question to the point as I have no experience with the Cache system. I'd reckon that a laptop in a designated department will certainly move much less than inside the main compartment even if it is attached to the Cache rail system. However, this certainly also depends on what else you carry in your bag. When I use my Smart Alec I put my laptop in a simple neopren sleeve in the bottom pocket of the Freudian Slip (see here: https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...nts#post339493). I almost always carry some other stuff, e.g. an additional sweater or some rain gear (I commute with my bike). Thus, the space for the laptop to move around is limited.

Regarding the back panel: Honestly, I don't notice much difference between the SG23 and the Smart Alec. However, I think that the Mesh does indeed make a lot of difference compared to a full fabric back. And perhaps the new design of the back padding on the SG23 enables some air circulation (more information here: https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/synik-faq#travel) but to me the difference is not vast.
      Thanks very much for this detail -- particularly about that back panel mesh. I've only tried a full fabric back (which I found too hot) and the SG23, which is so much better. I'm going to do some test-commutes today and tomorrow with my laptop in a neoprene sleeve in my SG23 rather than in the dedicated compartment, and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by epeterson View Post
        I'm going to do some test-commutes today and tomorrow with my laptop in a neoprene sleeve in my SG23 rather than in the dedicated compartment, and see how it goes.
        Just following up on this...it did not flop around, and while riding my bike it was actually more comfortable than putting the laptop in the dedicated compartment. I think the laptop in the compartment really stiffens the back panel a lot, so it feels rigid/flat on my back rather than curving a little -- which is noticeable in cycling posture. I could probably try adjusting the internal frame a bit to find something that is comfortable for both cycling and walking postures. I did end up pre-ordering a Smart Alec, so I'll see how that compares.

Comment

Working...
        X