Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,767   Posts: 190,596   Members: 6,651   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, learn2route.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What once worked is not working so well now...possibly need new bag/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What once worked is not working so well now...possibly need new bag/advice

A few years ago, I bought an Everyday Cubelet in Ballistic to take on a trip overseas. I wanted something that would fit in my small LL Bean backpack, yet could be worn crossbody and easily accessible. I've always had issues w/crossbody bags because I get back pain no matter what I carry or how little it weighs. (For the record, my EDC has been the Swift for several years now but I can't do long distances or periods of time with it). I bought a padded shoulder strap (Optech) for my EC and it worked well on the trips. I was also using it during my workday while taking my daily walk or running errands at lunch.

However, a couple of things changed: 1) I got a cell phone that is bigger than the last one I had; and 2) I need to keep my reading glasses in a hardshell case that is kinda big; and 3) I got a new headseat/Bluetooth from Plantronics that comes in its own little case and is taking up space. This appears to be the trifecta making my little Cubelet not work so well.

Given that I come home with a backache no matter what I carry, I'm wondering what I can do for a replacement. I can certainly take a photo of the items I'm carrying, or give the measurements of each of them, if that helps. I'm looking at the Side Kick and the Side Effect. The Side Kick seems too big and the Side Effect maybe too small. Of course, there is the smallest Cafe Bag but I have never really liked flip-top bags as they seem hard to get in and out of. That also seems a bit too big, as I don't need another EDC--just a little run-around-town thing.

Open to advice! Thank you.
    Last edited by ladyinblack1964; 05-27-2022, 06:42 AM.

Have you considered a small backpack like the Zeitgeist? The load would be more evenly distributed and might result in reduced back pain.

Comment

Originally posted by bunchgrass View Post
      Have you considered a small backpack like the Zeitgeist? The load would be more evenly distributed and might result in reduced back pain.
      That's what I was going to say. I also can't comfortably carry crossbody unless they're extra light or thin enough to carry close to my body, but backpacks have never given me trouble.

If you're set on crossbody, I'd go with the SK over the SE because the SE is actually smaller in liters than the Everyday Cublet (SE 1.5L vs EC 1.7L), plus the SK has much more organization.

Comment

I increasingly prefer small light backpacks for days around town. My neck and shoulders feel better for it. I would add my vote for the Paradigm or Zeitgeist if you like mini backpacks.

Another idea if you like purse-like styles: the Icon.

I suppose if you want to go a different direction and choose a hip pack then the Le Petit Derrière might be a good idea to stay hands free and take the load off shoulders and back.
        Last edited by nsh; 05-23-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I can’t use crossbody bags for long periods of time so I have switched to backpacks and waist packs. Have you considered the LPD/LGD (in waist pack mode) or the Paradigm/Zeitgeist?

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
            I can’t use crossbody bags for long periods of time so I have switched to backpacks and waist packs. Have you considered the LPD/LGD (in waist pack mode) or the Paradigm/Zeitgeist?
            Unfortunately, I can't do waist packs at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
              I'm taking a look at the Zeitgeist and Paradigm right now.
              I had mentioned having an LL Bean backpack. It's this one: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1261...N0&csp=f&pos=6

I like it a lot, but it's too big to keep in my desk for lunchtime errands, and doesn't have much in the way of interior organization (which isn't necessarily a dealbreaker).
              The saddest part about all this is, I'm only talking about half-hour walks. I admit I'm woefully out of condition. I don't know if working out would help; I suppose it might.
              On my vacations, I always come back to my room at night feeling as if somebody stuck me in the middle of my back with a knife. And that's after wearing the backpack.
              Perhaps I'd have better luck with a TB backpack since everything TB does is so well designed?

Comment

Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post

I had mentioned having an LL Bean backpack. It's this one: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1261...N0&csp=f&pos=6

I like it a lot, but it's too big to keep in my desk for lunchtime errands, and doesn't have much in the way of interior organization (which isn't necessarily a dealbreaker).
                The saddest part about all this is, I'm only talking about half-hour walks. I admit I'm woefully out of condition. I don't know if working out would help; I suppose it might.
                On my vacations, I always come back to my room at night feeling as if somebody stuck me in the middle of my back with a knife. And that's after wearing the backpack.
                Perhaps I'd have better luck with a TB backpack since everything TB does is so well designed?

The good thing about TB bags is if that they don't work out for you then the resale value is really high. I love my Paradigm; it was my EDC for a long weekend trip to Washington, D.C., when I walked all over the Mall area, all day long for three days, and it was really comfortable. I used to own the LL Bean Stowaway; I liked it because its packability makes it perfect for travel but it's too big for an EDC for me. I find the Paradigm more comfortable than the Stowaway.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post

I had mentioned having an LL Bean backpack.

I have that LLBean Stowaway and the Zeit, Paragon, L12, L15, and now the DLBP from TB, so I can try to do some comparison photos later this week if you'd like
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

I have that LLBean Stowaway and the Zeit, Paragon, L12, L15, and now the DLBP from TB, so I can try to do some comparison photos later this week if you'd like
                    That would be terrific, G42! Thanks for your help.

I do like the Stowaway. My cousin had one and went all over Europe with it. I especially like that it's so lightweight.

Comment

ladyinblack1964 The Side Effect is technically a tad smaller in volume than the Everyday Cubelet, so I'm omitting the SE.

Here's a Side Kick with a hard cover book inside to give you a feel for the size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SK hardcover.jpg Views:	2 Size:	824.1 KB ID:	340137

Without knowing the exact size/shape of your items, here's some approximations (specifically a touch bigger than I expect your stuff is) - just let me know if there are things you want me to add and/or if you have exact dimensions

Kindle Paperwhite in zip case, that should be bigger than any phone;
                      Rigid sunglasses hard case, should be bigger than cases for normal eye glasses;
                      16' tape measure, should be bigger than earbug/small headphone type case

Shown inside the SK and in the EC (which it doesn't fit into, because the Kindle is obviously bigger than a phone)

Click image for larger version  Name:	SK stuff.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1,005.4 KB ID:	340138

Here's that Cloud 525 ballistic SK, with those three items, sitting on the LL Bean Stowaway pack that you have

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220526_223345089.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	340140

Same SK, placed into various packs, clockwise from upper left: discontinued Luminary 12 (just fits left to right); LLBean Black Stowaway; Nebulous Luminary 15; Daylight Backpack in Night Walk

Click image for larger version  Name:	SK in packs.jpg Views:	2 Size:	889.5 KB ID:	340139

And here it is in a Night Walk Zeitgeist, the smallest of these packs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220526_223709744.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	340141

The LLBean Stowaway and the Zeitgeist in 400d halcyon are about the same weight.

I'll get a pic inside the Paradigm as well and add it later

Last edited by G42; 05-26-2022, 07:44 PM.
                      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42, Thank you so much! That's very helpful.
                        I'm going to include some measurements. My Plantronics earbud case is 4.5" long by 2.5" wide and it's a hard shell. In my EDC, I usually keep it in a Padded Organizer Pouch. My phone is 3.25" wide by 6.25" tall and about 1/2" deep. My eyeglasses are in a hard case 6" long by 2.5" wide by about 3/4" deep. This stuff is the bare minimum I would take on a lunchtime walk.

As I've been reading through reviews for the two smallest backpacks, I've been wondering if it might be time for a change for my EDC, rather than a replacement for my run-around-bag. Something to think about!

Comment

If you're looking at the Zeitgeist or the Paradigm - The paradigm might have more functionality for the items you're describing, but I have the Zeitgeist for my EDC and once I got my organization figured out I LOVE it.

Comment

Originally posted by Airyca View Post
                            If you're looking at the Zeitgeist or the Paradigm - The paradigm might have more functionality for the items you're describing, but I have the Zeitgeist for my EDC and once I got my organization figured out I LOVE it.
                            If I'm going to use the bag as an EDC, I think the Paradigm makes more sense. Possibly with a Freudian Slip. The thing that throws me with the Zeitgeist is the diagonal zippered pocket. It seems awkward to me (for lack of a better word).

Comment

I concur re your thoughts on the Paradigm. With a properly fit FS or similar bag organizer, I think you would be good to go. IMHO, best stuff going if price is no object, TB, if the intersection of quality/value is driving the train, I have had good luck with lihit labs stuff.

On multiple occasions during my 30 year career, I have flirted with some type of over the shoulder bag only to go ack to an backpack. For any loadout beyond phone, keys, wallet and glasses, they just make so much more sense carrying more, exponentially more comfortably.

Comment

Working...
                              X