Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,767   Posts: 190,596   Members: 6,651   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, learn2route.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Sidekick and Oberon journals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Sidekick and Oberon journals

Hi!

I have a large Oberon Design journal that is 9"x6" and 1" thick. I've been looking for a bag that's just right for it and some pens, as well as maybe a few thin objects like an Altoids tin or small watercolor palette but not much else. I've been eyeing the Sidekick but am not sure if the journal would fit inside or not. Does anyone have a Sidekick and a large Oberon journal (or similarly sized book) that they use together or could try? I unfortunately don't live close to the outlet store so haven't been able to just take my journal in to test it with bags. Any feedback/thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Welcome to the Forums LeafyWolf
    I don't have that journal, but hopefully someone will chime in... There's been lots of journal discussion in the past
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

@LeafyWolf

Sidekick would work fine for you. I can't find my Oberon Design journal but have a leather ereader cover that measures 9 x 6.5 x 1.25 inches thick. It fits in the main section of the Sidekick along with an A5 Ghost Whale pouch that is about 2 inches thick with its contents. There is still room for my reading glasses, pens and Nik's wallet in their pockets and cash and miscellaneous papers in the big inside pocket.

I love the Sidekick ..... use my black halcyon all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by kjquilts View Post
        @LeafyWolf

Sidekick would work fine for you. I can't find my Oberon Design journal but have a leather ereader cover that measures 9 x 6.5 x 1.25 inches thick. It fits in the main section of the Sidekick along with an A5 Ghost Whale pouch that is about 2 inches thick with its contents. There is still room for my reading glasses, pens and Nik's wallet in their pockets and cash and miscellaneous papers in the big inside pocket.

I love the Sidekick ..... use my black halcyon all the time.
        Thank you! That's wonderful to know. I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you put in it, it really gives me a great idea of what I'll be able to fit!

Comment

Originally posted by LeafyWolf View Post
          I have a large Oberon Design journal that is 9"x6" and 1" thick. I've been looking for a bag that's just right for it and some pens, as well as maybe a few thin objects like an Altoids tin or small watercolor palette but not much else. I've been eyeing the Sidekick but am not sure if the journal would fit inside or not. Does anyone have a Sidekick and a large Oberon journal (or similarly sized book) that they use together or could try?
          I agree with kjquilts that the SK should work for you. The SK will be a little tight lengthwise (the 9" side) for the Oberon but it will fit easily enough as long as the bag isn't overstuffed. I've attached a photo of three A5 journals stacked inside the SK. I needed three to get to the 1" thickness that you suggested, and they are all about 3/4-inch shorter than the Oberon, but it's very roomy around my three journals. I also added a small Schmincke tin plus a couple of fountain pens and a waterbrush, and there's plenty of room for more. Hopefully this will give you an idea of the space.

The SK is a fantastic sketching or travel/field kit. I use it often for this, as the organization is perfect for travel art supplies. I prefer the structure of the ballistic vs the halcyon for this use, but either material should work fine.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post

I agree with kjquilts that the SK should work for you. The SK will be a little tight lengthwise (the 9" side) for the Oberon but it will fit easily enough as long as the bag isn't overstuffed. I've attached a photo of three A5 journals stacked inside the SK. I needed three to get to the 1" thickness that you suggested, and they are all about 3/4-inch shorter than the Oberon, but it's very roomy around my three journals. I also added a small Schmincke tin plus a couple of fountain pens and a waterbrush, and there's plenty of room for more. Hopefully this will give you an idea of the space.

The SK is a fantastic sketching or travel/field kit. I use it often for this, as the organization is perfect for travel art supplies. I prefer the structure of the ballistic vs the halcyon for this use, but either material should work fine.
            Oh wow! That's perfect! Thank you so very much! This photo really helps me visualize the space. It's almost exactly the pens and tin I have, too! I have a generic watercolor tin about that size and a smaller Whiskey Painters tin, as well as some water brushes. This looks like it might even fit some smaller field notebooks in addition to the larger journal, which would be amazing. I really appreciate you taking the time to measure out some A5 journals and photograph it.

Comment

Oh wow! That's perfect! Thank you so very much! This photo really helps me visualize the space. It's almost exactly the pens and tin I have, too! I have a generic watercolor tin about that size and a smaller Whiskey Painters tin, as well as some water brushes. This looks like it might even fit some smaller field notebooks in addition to the larger journal, which would be amazing. I really appreciate you taking the time to measure out some A5 journals and photograph it.
              I think you could use the Side Kick. The next size up, if you wanted to carry a really thick stack of journals and art supplies would be Le Petit Derrière. I have some pictures up in the Review of Le Petit Derriere thread where i have a stack of these plus my 11” iPad Pro. But I use the pocket organization of my Side Kick more.

HTH

moriond

Comment

You're very welcome. A Field Notes sized notebook will also fit in the pockets that I showed in my photo, with room to spare. (I use Fabriano EcoQua pocket notebooks which are the same size - takes ink great & watercolor surprisingly well!) The other interior side actually has pen/pencil slots plus more organization. If the Whiskey Painters palette is the one that I'm thinking of, it may be too small and slip down into the pockets, and then also be hard to fish back out. But the SK has plenty of o-rings so you can attach pouches etc to hold extras - the double organizer pouch would be great for this. I keep all my travel brushes in a TB clear organizer wallet (I removed the faux suede dividers) and keep that attached to a keystrap so I can move it from bag to bag, or you could just stick the WP palette in the exterior zippered pocket.

You'll have almost unlimited options with this bag. The SK is probably my favorite TB bag, in tight running for first with the Daylight Backpack. Let me know if you need any more photos. I'm a full-time artist who works for a paint company, so I have LOADS of art supplies.

Comment

Working...
                X