Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,170   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Co-Pilot Water Bottle Compartment - Hydro Flask Trail Series (10.2")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Co-Pilot Water Bottle Compartment - Hydro Flask Trail Series (10.2")

Hi all, does anyone know if the Hydro Flask 21oz or 24oz "Trail Series", fit in the water bottle compartment?
    (They are both 10.2" in hight, but the 21oz has a narrower mouth)

https://www.hydroflask.com/21-oz-sta...tine&ref=hf133

https://www.hydroflask.com/24-oz-lig...olor=celestine

I'm really hoping they fit!

Thank you so much.

Welcome to the Forums Hudanibs !
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by Hudanibs View Post
      Hi all, does anyone know if the Hydro Flask 21oz or 24oz "Trail Series", fit in the water bottle compartment?

Thank you so much.
      I would be a little surprised if they fit, but I'd love to know if they do! I have the 32oz trail series bottle, and it's not even close to fitting into my co-pilot. If you look at the structure of the co-pilot, it's really designed for bottles that are 9" tall. You can maybe squeeze a little more height out of that pocket, but you'll start deforming the bag as you do (not in a permanent way). That extra 1.2" is probably too much, even for the narrower-top 21oz.

But again, I'd love for someone to show I'm wrong!

Comment

I've been carrying my OG Nordic Co-pilot lately with a Contigo bottle that's 16oz and 7.75" tall and 3.25" wide. I don't think you can go much taller.

Comment

Originally posted by autolycus View Post

I would be a little surprised if they fit, but I'd love to know if they do! I have the 32oz trail series bottle, and it's not even close to fitting into my co-pilot. If you look at the structure of the co-pilot, it's really designed for bottles that are 9" tall. You can maybe squeeze a little more height out of that pocket, but you'll start deforming the bag as you do (not in a permanent way). That extra 1.2" is probably too much, even for the narrower-top 21oz.

Thanks for that info!

Comment

Does your 32oz Trail series fit in the Pilot?

Comment

Originally posted by threeteez View Post
              I've been carrying my OG Nordic Co-pilot lately with a Contigo bottle that's 16oz and 7.75" tall and 3.25" wide. I don't think you can go much taller.
              You can definitely go taller than 7.75. I use a 20oz Hydraflask bottle and with the flip up straw lid it measures at 9.5. I use it daily without any issues.

Comment

Thank you so much.
                This has been discussed before, but the fcrum software update to vBulletin5 has basically destroyed the accuracy of all my old links, so getting to the pictures takes about 5x the number of visits just to track down the correct image links per each of the incidents. I will point you to a couple of threads that have working pictures. There is some discussion because the Hydroflasks in a Pilot can be slightly taller than the ones for the Co-Pilot.

Take a look at the old 40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder? from 05-24-2019 started by runningtravels and also the old water bottle for co-pilot? thread from 02-15-2016 started by Seed The posted content (text) is correct in those threads. The largest size water bottle I have been able to get into the Co-Pilot is a 1 liter Sigg (retired and unavailable for some years) that I linked in my post in the second thread on the Co-Pilot. That thread mostly discussed Kleen Kanteen options (27 oz depending on selected cap). Darcy also showed a picture of their old 32 oz Matterhorn Water Bottle by Liberty Works (not insulated) that was once available (blog now only shows the later Pattern Water Bottle from LIberty Works in 32 oz and 20 oz. size from 2013 -- the 32 oz. size was the same size as the Matterhorn Water Bottle shown in New: Matterhorn Water Bottle where I've linked to Darcy's 04-03-2012 picture of this water bottle sticking up from the Co-Pilot pocket. The 1 liter Sigg water bottle that I mentioned can actually fit in to the zipped Co-Pilot water bottle pocket because the cap top is so narrow.

Hope this helps,

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

This has been discussed before, but the fcrum software update to vBulletin5 has basically destroyed the accuracy of all my old links, so getting to the pictures takes about 5x the number of visits just to track down the correct image links per each of the incidents. I will point you to a couple of threads that have working pictures. There is some discussion because the Hydroflasks in a Pilot can be slightly taller than the ones for the Co-Pilot.

Take a look at the old 40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder? from 05-24-2019 started by runningtravels and also the old water bottle for co-pilot? thread from 02-15-2016 started by Seed The posted content (text) is correct in those threads. The largest size water bottle I have been able to get into the Co-Pilot is a 1 liter Sigg (retired and unavailable for some years) that I linked in my post in the second thread on the Co-Pilot. That thread mostly discussed Kleen Kanteen options (27 oz depending on selected cap). Darcy also showed a picture of their old 32 oz Matterhorn Water Bottle by Liberty Works (not insulated) that was once available (blog now only shows the later Pattern Water Bottle from LIberty Works in 32 oz and 20 oz. size from 2013 -- the 32 oz. size was the same size as the Matterhorn Water Bottle shown in New: Matterhorn Water Bottle where I've linked to Darcy's 04-03-2012 picture of this water bottle sticking up from the Co-Pilot pocket. The 1 liter Sigg water bottle that I mentioned can actually fit in to the zipped Co-Pilot water bottle pocket because the cap top is so narrow.

Hope this helps,

moriond

This is amazing info!

Thank you.

Comment

10.2” is definitely too tall. It’s funny you posted this; just today I was myself shopping for a new water bottle to go in my co-pilot! I feel particularly well informed on what will and will not fit.

I typically carry a 16oz narrow-mouth Nalgene in that pocket. That bottle is an even 7” in height (plus cap, presumably, but uninsulated Nalgene caps add scant height) per the manufacturer’s website. It fits easily with room to spare at the top, though I wouldn’t want it to be much fatter.

My 18.6oz/550mL insulated bottle from Cognitive Surplus also fits with no problem at 8.75” tall plus cap.

My 32oz/946mL insulated HydroFlask does NOT fit at 9.4” tall plus cap, even if I’m using the flat cap (I usually use the spout cap on this one). If I take off the cap ENTIRELY I can slide it in, but that is not the way anyone sane uses a water bottle.

I also, btw, have a coupla insulated travel mugs that fit fine: a 12oz Zojiruchi and a 12oz Hydroflask are both no problem. Too lazy to check dimensions right now; they’re both 7” or less (I eyeballed them against my Nalgene).

So like I said, I was water bottle shopping today (even though I like both of those bottles a lot). Why? Because I have water bottle ~funk~ issues over the course of my 7 days of 12-hour shifts (working 7am to 7pm 7 days in a row with a 30 minute commute on each end and no one to have dinner ready for you at home really cuts into one’s water-bottle-scrubbing time).

I want to check out one of those water bottles with a UV sanitizing lid, but I don’t want to pay bank for the setup either. Did you know that the latest in water bottle technology can run you well north of $100? Before today, I did not. But now? Oh my, now I definitely do.

Tl;dr I decided that what I wanted was to check out the $29 “Lyt” cap from Waatr, which fits exactly none of my existing water bottles. (They *do* make a lid that would fit either my 32oz HF or my 18oz CS, but that one cost…wait for it…..one! hundred! dollars! for JUST THE CAP!)

So the hunt was on for a narrow-mouthed (narrower than my Nalgene, tragically) water bottle to fit both the Lyt cap and also my co-pilot.

The Waatr website notes four different brands that definitely fit the cap: S’well, Mira, Simple Modern, and Chilly’s.

S’well: at 7.9” tall INCLUDING the cap (the Lyt is a smidge talker but not much god help me I have spent all day checking dimensions), the 9oz bottle would fit. 17oz would be too big. But it’s $25 for a 9oz bottle. Harrumph.

Mira: at 8.5” tall again INCLUDING cap, the 12oz bottle would fit. It’s $15. Not bad.

Simple Modern: The 17oz “Ascent” is 7.1” tall PLUS cap and should fit no problem, though the cap the bottle is sold with looks like it adds enough height to potentially cause an issue. Also around $15, and you get 17 ounces. Better and better.

Chilly’s: The 350mL/8.6oz and the 550mL/17oz should BOTH fit, at 17.5cm/6.9” and 22cm/8.6” tall, respectively. These cost around $30 each (sigh) although they are BY FAR the most aesthetically appealing bottles on this list (to me, at least) so they may win me over yet.

Otherwise I’m going for the Simple Modern bottle. (ETA #2: Simple Modern it is; Chilly’s is a UK brand and as adorable as their Tate and Liberty co-branding is, I am NOT paying $30-$40 for the bottle plus $13 overseas shipping! No!)

Good luck! I wish happy shopping and NO water bottle funk upon you!

ETA #1: somehow either I, the internet gremlins who did my math, or one of the manufacture’s websites did the mL to oz conversions weirdly. 550mL should always work out to the same number of ounces, call it X, whatever X may be, not 18 sometimes and 17 sometimes. God help me I am NOT going to fix this error by measuring how much water each of my bottles holds using my baking scale! You’re just going to have to figure it out yourself. Sorry lol I am DONE.
                    Last edited by RosemaryZ; 07-18-2022, 09:14 PM.

Comment

RosemaryZ

that was so much research I feel like I should buy a bottle in solidarity! Thanks for sharing all of it

Regarding the mL to ounce thing... It's probably because US ounces and Imperial ounces are actually slightly different volumes and if it's not stated explicitly, it depends on which country is the origin

550 mL = 18.598 US fluid ounces
                      550 mL = 19.357 imperial fluid ounces

Fluid volumes are where the Imperial and US systems differ, with the imperial all being sightly larger.
                      I don't think most people notice unless they're involved with product labeling (the second time I've had to pay attention), or cooking with lots of different recipes.... Or some folks find out when they have a pint in a pub (first time I really noticed, as an American in a British pub)

I don't know where the 17 would be from unless it's a typo
                      Last edited by G42; 07-18-2022, 10:07 PM.
                      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Does your 32oz Trail series fit in the Pilot?
                        YES! It does fit. It is pretty much as large as I would want to put in that pocket, but it fits. It wasn't too hard to get in or out, just the tiniest bit of folding and unfolding the flap on one side of the opening. I didn't notice any pressing on the outside of the bag. I stupidly did not check to see if and how much it may have intruded on the inside main pocket.

Very sorry for taking so long to reply to this question. I didn't see it at first and then simply kept forgetting to sneak into my wife's office to try it out! (I have a very old gray/solar dyneema Co-pilot for a personal travel item. She has a 1050d aubergine Pilot as her primary "briefcase".)

Knowing that the Hydroflask fits definitely makes me consider getting a Pilot briefcase for myself as well!

Comment

YES! It does fit. It is pretty much as large as I would want to put in that pocket, but it fits. It wasn't too hard to get in or out, just the tiniest bit of folding and unfolding the flap on one side of the opening. I didn't notice any pressing on the outside of the bag. I stupidly did not check to see if and how much it may have intruded on the inside main pocket.

Very sorry for taking so long to reply to this question. I didn't see it at first and then simply kept forgetting to sneak into my wife's office to try it out! (I have a very old gray/solar dyneema Co-pilot for a personal travel item. She has a 1050d aubergine Pilot as her primary "briefcase".)

Knowing that the Hydroflask fits definitely makes me consider getting a Pilot briefcase for myself as well!
                          Awesome! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X