Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,170   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a mini Ghost Whale pouch as a wallet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone use a mini Ghost Whale pouch as a wallet?

Does anyone use a mini Ghost Whale pouch as a wallet? How is the experience?

I use a Mini Halcyon Organizer Pouch, but also keep a Mini Ghost Whale in my Co-Pilot because I use it as a basic first aid kit.

I like using an organizer pouch instead of a traditional, bi-fold style wallet because it allows me to hold more than just cards and cash.

Mine typically holds a car key fob, cash, cards, finger bandages, disposable lens wipes, and a spare pair of contact lenses.

For the sake of experiment, I dumped out the contents of my Ghost Whale and replaced them with regular items I keep in my wallet (Mini Halcyon Organizer Pouch).

It works well!

When I carry a bag, I’ll clip the wallet pouch in using a snaphook to o-ring key strap.

When all I need to carry are my keys and wallet, I’ll just clip my house keys from a second key strap in my bag, and clip them directly onto the organizer pouch.

I don’t use the Ghost Whale mostly because it’s a one way zipper that forces you to unzip the top first, and then the side.

The Halcyon OP also has a one-way zipper but only opens horizontally, so it’s a wider opening and easier to access the contents without them falling out.

Last time I jumped on a chat with Tom Bihn customer service, they did tell me a new batch of organizer pouches were in the works and I hope that still is true, because the Mini OP is probably what I use most since it’s my wallet!

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version  Name:	5474F7E1-379F-4249-A2F6-F9C5E1F779C5.jpg Views:	4 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	340767 Click image for larger version  Name:	D8E3739D-9E8B-4E85-A49D-A938082763AE.jpg Views:	4 Size:	4.14 MB ID:	340766 Click image for larger version  Name:	75A11156-5E1A-4EAF-895E-1E246D0D463A.jpg Views:	4 Size:	5.30 MB ID:	340769 Click image for larger version  Name:	AA15FAA0-2ABF-4660-8E2D-2B3A84D30C52.jpg Views:	4 Size:	4.85 MB ID:	340768
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 07-06-2022, 12:13 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

Wow, thanks for such a great explanation! And the photos help a lot too. You helped me a ton!

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post

The Halcyon OP also has a one-way zipper but only opens horizontally, so it’s a wider opening and easier to access the contents without them falling out.
        I really wish TB would bring these back. I've had it on my wishlist forever. You are completely correct that there are times that a GWP just doesn't cut it, and the OPs give us options for those times. I have a couple but would really love to have a handful more in the various sizes. The mesh ones were great also.

I have tried using a mini GWP as a wallet and it works fine as long as you're careful with the zipper, as mentioned above. I do carry a few coins and a fair amount of cash, so I didn't care for lack of the security in the GWP in regards to the zipper. My GWP has a crooked zipper (TB offered to replace but it's not so bad to warrant a replacement) so that may affect how it works as a wallet. I'm no longer using it as a wallet (it has embroidery scissors and supplies in it) but can post photos if you'd like.
        Last edited by Tonya; 07-07-2022, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post

I really wish TB would bring these back. I've had it on my wishlist forever. You are completely correct that there are times that a GWP just doesn't cut it, and the OPs give us options for those times. I have a couple but would really love to have a handful more in the various sizes. The mesh ones were great also.

I have tried using a mini GWP as a wallet and it works fine as long as you're careful with the zipper, as mentioned above. I do carry a few coins and a fair amount of cash, so I didn't care for lack of the security in the GWP in regards to the zipper. My GWP has a crooked zipper (TB offered to replace but it's not so bad to warrant a replacement) so that may affect how it works as a wallet. I'm no longer using it as a wallet (it has embroidery scissors and supplies in it) but can post photos if you'd like.
          The ones that were harder to track and stock are the Halcyon Double Organizer Pouches. I can remember the first one I saw and the post in which it was mentioned casually in the forums. Those are scarcer than the Halcyon fabric organizer pouches. And I think the Halcyon fabric OPs in limited edition colors were only made in the Mini size

Comment

and the halcyon and mesh OPs are officially disco'd

but MikeV did say that they'd try to make some in Cordura and 210 Ballistic (nag, nag, nag - all I do is nag) ... I'm ok with the 210 ballistic, it has worked well for me in the E/TC and Cubelet so I think it'll be flexible enough for the pouches...

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...323#post340323
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I’m more than happy to jump in and join the nagging party!

So long as it isn’t mesh, I’ll buy a mini-sized OP made from any color of any fabric!

They’re the perfect size for a wallet, and also fit well into most of the built-in pockets on TB bags (they slide right into the interior front side pockets on the EC and SK, and nest well in either the left or right front pockets of the CP, S19, SN22 and L15).
              Last edited by Chicagoan; 07-07-2022, 10:36 AM.
              Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

I’m more than happy to jump in and join in on the nagging party!

So long as it isn’t mesh, I’ll buy a mini-sized OP made from any color of any fabric!

They’re the perfect size for a wallet, and also fit well into most of the built-in pockets on TB bags (they slide right into the interior front side pockets on the EC and SK, and nest well in either the left or right front pockets of the CP, S19, SN22 and L15).
                Well then, I'll happily nag also. I'm also fine with nearly any fabric. I do NOT like the clear - AT ALL. Been there and tried that material, always with epic fails. I don't think fabric matters much with small organizers, so I'd actually prefer something lightweight, but I'm not picky. You bring up a good point that these slide into pockets more easily than GWPs, plus I can often unzip the OPs without removing them from the pocket or bag which isn't as easy to do with a GWP.

Comment

Mostly, I like the fact TB makes small organizer pouches that are card sized but also have enough depth they can fit non flat items with dimension like coins, key fobs, etc.

I also don’t care for the PU window on the COW and Clear OPs. It’s just too easily damaged by other things in my bag.

Hell, I’d settle for a COW without the C!

Has TB ever considered making an all-fabric organizer wallet?
                  Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

Has TB ever considered making an all-fabric organizer wallet?
                    They made them, actually. I have "non-C" COWs in Navy and in Boreal.

Comment

Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post

They made them, actually. I have "non-C" COWs in Navy and in Boreal.
                      I thought the use of Boreal debuted not too long ago in August 2021 - were your all-fabric organizer wallets regular production items, or special one-off gifts?

I know they gifts things to FOT (“Friends of Tom”) that aren’t regular production items, so I’m curious to hear how you were lucky enough to score an all-fabric wallet!
                      Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

TB had this blog post about the divider material

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/c...62c7d187&_ss=r

And ended up offering both internal divider options in November 2021, along with a couple all-fabric

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/1116-restock

I bought the Navy Parapack with microsuede dividers
                        Last edited by G42; 07-07-2022, 12:50 PM.
                        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I bought them mostly out of curiosity (and because I, too, am not a big fan of the Clear material). The Navy has the microsuede dividers, the Boreal has the Texon ones (which are really thick a stiff). I'd rather have these two as pouches, without the dividers, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                            TB had this blog post about the divider material

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/c...62c7d187&_ss=r

And ended up offering both internal divider options in November 2021, along with a couple all-fabric

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/1116-restock

I bought the Navy Parapack with microsuede dividers
                            OH!!!

I didn’t realize there were all-fabric options when they dropped that small restock with different divider fabric options (Microsuede and Texon). That makes total sense.

So the general group consensus here is “yes, more all-fabric organizer pouches, please.”
                            Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

I ended up grabbing a COW. I’ll let you know what I think once it gets here. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X