Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,170   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney EDC???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney EDC???

I am looking for the perfect EDC/in plane backpack. I’m thinking of the S19 or the Paramour. I want something with a dedicated water bottle pocket. I’ll also want space for a jacket, knitting, Side Effect, sunglasses and souvenirs. I think my S25 is too big to wear around the park and my Paradigm is a bit too small. Any opinions? Thanks!!

I have a S19 (one from 2013 I believe). I really enjoy using it for times when I need more space than my Paradigm permits.

Comment

Welcome to the Forums AmyJHesting !
      I'm not a park person, but there are folks here who are...I think someone recently mentioned that they used a Copilot which isn't backpack but is a good size with water bottle pocket

The Luminary 15 has an inside water bottle pocket but isn't quick access... It's a very sleek bag though, I really liked mine. They are discontinued though, so the handful left are all that's left, in case you want to try one out before they're gone
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Disney Parks Adult here, we use the S22's in the parks. You'll need your phones to get most things done now (Disney has an app that "helps" with ordering food, restaurant reservations, ride wait times, show times, virtual queues, ride reservations), so that implies at least one battery charger. We also take small microfiber towels, spare socks, rain shell jackets or umbrellas, spare Tevas, small hand held fans. We put just about everything in clear organizers or ZipLoc bags. YouTube has packing for the parks videos (from WDW dedicated channels), do check them out.
        Last edited by spudnik99; 07-22-2022, 01:00 PM.

Comment

And welcome to you spudnik99 !

What colour S22's do you have?
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

We have Nebulous Grey backpacks. We don't buy much merch, we tend to buy stuff only from the country pavilions in EPCOT (mostly Japan). If we did more shopping we'd probably need a pair of S30's.
            Last edited by spudnik99; 07-24-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I know you're specifically asking about backpacks, but the last time we were at WDW, I used a DLBC, and wore it cross-body. I had a backpack with me, but found that I needed to access my phone so often that the crossbody option was more convenient. Mine is halcyon, so super lightweight, and also surprisingly able to hold everything we needed for a long day in the park. Hands free, and sits close to the body, but the weight isn't distributed across both shoulders as it would be with a backpack.

Comment

Originally posted by aungrl View Post
                I know you're specifically asking about backpacks, but the last time we were at WDW, I used a DLBC, and wore it cross-body. I had a backpack with me, but found that I needed to access my phone so often that the crossbody option was more convenient. Mine is halcyon, so super lightweight, and also surprisingly able to hold everything we needed for a long day in the park. Hands free, and sits close to the body, but the weight isn't distributed across both shoulders as it would be with a backpack.
                I like the Daylight Briefcase, especially the Halcyon version, but I'm not sure that it is particularly suited to holding knitting in addition to the desire for a dedicated water bottle pocket.
                I’ll also want space for a jacket, knitting, Side Effect, sunglasses and souvenirs. I think my S25 is too big to wear around the park and my Paradigm is a bit too small.
                I do remember that bunchgrass posted a picture of her French Blue Cordura Daylight Briefcase with knitting back in 2014. See: DLBCase

Comment

We went to Disney over spring break and I carried my Taiga Halcyon Paragon. It was a killer park bag. It handled water bottles, rain coats, snacks, and more just fine. If you’re wanting the dedicated water bottle space, the Paramour would be a really good fit. That would be my recommendation.

Comment

We just returned from nine days down at Disney: one day each to fly in and out, and seven park days (two days at each park except for one day at DAK).

In the past I’ve carried the SK or EC.

In the time since our last visit, I bought a larger point and shoot camera than I’ve used in the past, and need a front-to-back deeper bag than the ones I’ve carried prior.

So I took a chance on the recently released Bummer waist pack and sling bag.

1.) Very roomy front and main compartments for a small bag, and the built-in flat pocket against the back panel was a nice place to tuck folded park maps and a small
                    pocket comb (those rides mess up your hair!).

2.) The front outside pocket was able to fit three keys straps: one with my house and car keys, one with my Magic Band key fob, and one with a mini size organizer pouch I use as my wallet. Since you scan into rides and pay for food/merchandise with the Magic Band, it’s really important to keep it someplace easy and quick to access. It also meant I could access the MB without having to open the big main compartment.

3.) The main compartment fit a point and shoot camera (stored vertically inside a soft case), two small power banks, a USB charging cord, lip balm, contact lens rewetting drops, sunglasses, and a pocket comb and folded park map inside the back flap pocket. If I needed to, I could have fit my Patagonia Houdini rain jacket inside by stuffing it into its own stuff sack. All these items fit comfortably inside without straining the zippers, making the shape lumpy, or stacking them in a way that made them difficult to find or remove.

4.) It is very water resistant! I got caught in several midday rainstorms and while the outside of the bag got soaking wet, the contents stayed dry.

5.) Most rides use lap bar restraints and if you ride with another person next to you, you’ll need to remove the bag. Most rides have a built in pouch for small items, but the Bummer is too big. You’ll need to either wear it around your neck, slung over one shoulder, or step through the buckled waist belt and have it rest on the floor (I usually just stepped through the strap and let it rest on the floor).

6.) Unless your chest and waist measurements are the same, you’ll need to adjust the strap when switching from waist pack to sling bag modes of carry. I didn’t want to keep adjusting and readjusting the strap length, so when I needed to remove it from my waist, I just slung it over one shoulder.

7.) More than anything I appreciated the top side and zippered access (and closure!) that made all my items easy access, providing a weather resistant closure, and stored them in a way I could see and reach them all without anything falling out.

8.) The foam back panel is a nice touch and does make a difference - it rests flat against the body and you don’t ever feel the contents of your bag poking uncomfortably against you. I carried a waist pack this time specifically because our trip was in the middle of summer and there is not a single Tom Bihn backpack that doesn’t give me bad heat rash (the back panels just aren’t breathable enough). I also wore tank tops and wanted to avoid weird tan lines from crossbody straps slung over my shoulder.

9.) Except for the Saturday we visited MK on our last park day, I never once was stopped at security and asked to have my bag searched, which saves some major time getting into and out of the parks.

10.) No, you won’t be able to carry a spare pair of shoes, or a water bottle, but if you take shelter inside a park building or ride line queue quickly, and buy drinks at the park when you need them, you’ll be alright. Most counter service restaurants offer free ice water on hot days, too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60B74FAC-1165-4FBC-B40F-3D45C2505AF3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.1 KB ID:	341279

Click image for larger version  Name:	894DE0CB-1BEA-4B1E-ADC5-51D921D88092.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.2 KB ID:	341281

Click image for larger version  Name:	0387C9B9-7138-4C30-AA30-30804AA25AFD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	444.1 KB ID:	341280

FWIW, and to suggest a bag no one has yet mentioned, I also carried a Co-Pilot with me as a personal item on the plane (the Bummer was packed flat inside my carry on and I transferred the items I needed for theme parks when we landed).

If I didn’t carry the Bummer I’d actually have taken the CP. It can hold a water bottle upright in its own drained compartment, all the pockets can be kept open or fully zipped shut, and the top side access makes it easy to grab at things while sitting on a ride or at lunch. The main compartment is super roomy and because the two sewn in pockets are gusseted, they fully expand when you need them, and fold flat against the back panel when you don’t. I take the CP literally everywhere with me: to the office, along for store errands, out to dinner, and even on the trail for dayhiking. It’s probably my number one favorite bag because it literally can handle most situations. In a pinch, you could probably even use it as a simple overnight bag on a basic economy flight (a la the Stowaway).

Click image for larger version

Name:	73E65FD9-59F5-48F6-BF85-4CA0ACB980A7.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	341283

Name:	0B7D9481-0F61-4EF0-B2E5-D4D0AFD396DB.jpg
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	341285

Name:	6FE1340C-31B9-4369-8E57-EE7DEBEFD741.jpg
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	341284
                    Last edited by Chicagoan; 07-26-2022, 10:02 AM.
                    Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

Working...
                    X