Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,954   Posts: 193,108   Members: 6,829   Active Members: 288
Welcome to our newest member, andyiowa.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Techonaut 30 for Non-Travel use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Techonaut 30 for Non-Travel use?

Hi Forum members,

I’m looking for some advice regarding my next Tom Bihn investment

I’m currently having an older cordura synapse 25 which I’m very happy with.
    However there are some days when I run out of space in the synapse. Typically when I’m going to work with my huge Lenovo P15 work laptop and also bring gym gear, some cables, lunch box and additional layering (sweater or rain jacket).

Other times when I struggle for space are when I’m having a day out with the family and carrying layers and gears for all family members.

So I have for some time been eyeing an additional larger backpack to compliment my Synapse 25.

The bags I have been looking at is the Brain Bag, the Shadow Guide 33 and the Techonaut 30.

I think I have a pretty good idea of the BB and the SG from reading the forums and reviews online but when it comes to the Techonaut 30 all info and reviews have been very travel oriented.

So I would be really interested to hear if any of you have some non-travel experience of the Techonaut 30? At least in my head it seams like it could be a really good gym + work bag for me.

Thanks in advance for any nuggets of information

I haven't used the T30 as an everyday bag, it feels like luggage to me. I use the BB when I carry that much as EDC.
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Have you thought about the synik 30?

I love my BB and I have traveled the world with it but I don't know if it would be as good as an EDC bag. The division into two "main" compartments instead of one big main area seems less useful for EDC.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
        I haven't used the T30 as an everyday bag, it feels like luggage to me. I use the BB when I carry that much as EDC.
        Yes that seams like a common point of view (and I’m trying to understand why )
        When you say it feels more like luggage to you, is it about the size or something with the layout / design?

Originally posted by pvn View Post
        Have you thought about the synik 30?

I love my BB and I have traveled the world with it but I don't know if it would be as good as an EDC bag. The division into two "main" compartments instead of one big main area seems less useful for EDC.
        The Synik could definitely be an option but the Laptop Compartment seams to small for my laptop so that would force me to store my computer in a separate sleeve which today consumes a lot of the main compartment in my synapse 25. So my worry is that upgrading to Synik would not really solve anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsont View Post

Yes that seams like a common point of view (and I’m trying to understand why )
          When you say it feels more like luggage to you, is it about the size or something with the layout / design?
          I think it's partly the visual...BB looks like an obvious backpack. The Techos look like a bag you happen to be carrying on your back.
          I find the BB pocket configuration easy and useful to work out of. The two divided main compartments work for me, especially with the ability to cinch the pack tight if I'm not using all the space
          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
          “Sir?”
          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
          “Sir?”
          “That’s practically zen.”
          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

If size is driving the train, I would, based on my experience of using the bag, go with the BB. Big enough to carry much more than the S25 or S30 (My EDC), and "cinchable" enough to carry smaller when not maxed out. I have tried it as an EDC and I like the svelteness and built org of the S30 much better. An 85-90% loaded S30 will fit under an airline seat. A similarly loaded BB may not but will fit in an SWA overhead with relative ease.

Indeed, TB should make an Synik 39-44 that is specifically designed to max out an SWA overhead but I digress....

Comment

Originally posted by vcdgrips View Post
              If size is driving the train, I would, based on my experience of using the bag, go with the BB. Big enough to carry much more than the S25 or S30 (My EDC), and "cinchable" enough to carry smaller when not maxed out. I have tried it as an EDC and I like the svelteness and built org of the S30 much better. An 85-90% loaded S30 will fit under an airline seat. A similarly loaded BB may not but will fit in an SWA overhead with relative ease.

Indeed, TB should make an Synik 39-44 that is specifically designed to max out an SWA overhead but I digress....
              Thanks for your insights, much appreciated!

Well… I don’t think it’s the size so much as flexibility which is the driving factor.

When I’m running out of space in the synapse I often have some space unused in the organizational pockets but they don’t really fit the items I’m bringing. So that’s why I’m also considering the Shadow Guide and the Techonaut even though they are close in capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsont View Post
                When I’m running out of space in the synapse I often have some space unused in the organizational pockets but they don’t really fit the items I’m bringing. So that’s why I’m also considering the Shadow Guide and the Techonaut even though they are close in capacity.
                I'd go for the Shadow Guide simply because it's the most flexible in terms of space, and yet has the organization that I want (on top, where it's easily accessible.) My first TB bag was the Side Kick, and I loved the built-in pockets for EDC use. I thought the Synapse 25 would meet my needs for a larger EDC, but I ran into the same issues you did. The Shadow Guide works great with various sized travel stuff sacks, especially if you want to separate the gear you're carrying for each family member etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kris View Post

I'd go for the Shadow Guide simply because it's the most flexible in terms of space, and yet has the organization that I want (on top, where it's easily accessible.) My first TB bag was the Side Kick, and I loved the built-in pockets for EDC use. I thought the Synapse 25 would meet my needs for a larger EDC, but I ran into the same issues you did. The Shadow Guide works great with various sized travel stuff sacks, especially if you want to separate the gear you're carrying for each family member etc.
                  Nice to hear from someone who had the same struggle
                  I’m a frequent user of pouches as well so I think that could work out nicely!

Feels like the choice is narrowing down to the Shadow Guide 33 VS the Brain Bag for me.

But still really interested to hear if anyone haves any experience using the Techonaut 30 for something except travel

Comment

Working...
                  X