Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,953   Posts: 193,088   Members: 6,829   Active Members: 295
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HLT 2 in Synik 22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HLT 2 in Synik 22?

Hi everyone!

I just got my first ever Tom Bihn bag - a Synik 22 Guide's Edition! I bought it used from eBay and I already love it. I really wanted an organizer pouch to go with it, ideally to put in the bottom compartment, but it seems like most information I've seen is that only the HLT 1 will fit in the Synik 22, and the HLT 2 will fit in the Synik 30. I was wondering if anyone here has tried putting the HLT 2 inside the Synik 22 - does it really not fit at the bottom? What if I put it in the main compartment (maybe strap it at the o-rings at the top), will it work then? Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the Forums!

I use Small Snake Charmer in the lower chin pocket
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Originally posted by otterpotts View Post
      Hi everyone!

I just got my first ever Tom Bihn bag - a Synik 22 Guide's Edition! I bought it used from eBay and I already love it. I really wanted an organizer pouch to go with it, ideally to put in the bottom compartment, but it seems like most information I've seen is that only the HLT 1 will fit in the Synik 22, and the HLT 2 will fit in the Synik 30. I was wondering if anyone here has tried putting the HLT 2 inside the Synik 22 - does it really not fit at the bottom? What if I put it in the main compartment (maybe strap it at the o-rings at the top), will it work then? Thank you in advance!
      Welcome to the forums @otterpotts

Like G42, I put a Small Snake Charmer in the Chin pocket of the Synik 22 Guide's Edition. If you are using the HLT in a Synapse or Synik, one of the decisions you need to make is whether you'r going to be using a mode where you leave the HLT tethered either in the Chin Pocket or hanging from the top inside the main compartment of the bag while you access the contents.

The sizing of the HLT 1 and HLT 2, and the placement of the o-rings in the bottom chin pocket of the Synik 22 and Synik 30, are designed to let you easily pull out the HLT accessory while leaving it tethered to the o-rings inside the chin pocket. nsh adopts this tethering mode when using the HLT 1 with her Parental Unit, so you can see how this might work with another bag configuration by looking at her 02-08-2021 post from the HLT size 1 or 2? thread. (I'll extract a sample photo from her post so you can see what I mean):
      HLT 1 tethered to Parental Unit
      This is a view of how the HLT1 tethers in the bottom pocket of a Synik 22
      tethered HLT 1 in Synik 22
      It's take from one of my post in the December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2) thread started by bartleby, and you can see other photos of ways to attach this to the top webbing or o-rings inside a Synapse or Synik in that thread.

In the Guide's Edition Synik 22, you'd probably attach an HLT to either the webbing loops or o-rings on the opposite side from the laptop compartment. While it's possible to do this with an HLT2, using swivel carabiners such as shown in the above photos will make the accesssory hang down low into the main compartment. You can use a keystrap, handle loop or other combination to suspend it higher from the webbing loops, or you can use single gatekeeper clips from Parts, but the placement of the webbing loops is too close to optimally use 1"Single Gatekeeper clips for this (I have some old 1.5" long Single Gatekeeper Clips that I can use, but these are no longer available). It's more common to use this with method with the 3D Organizer Cubes (that are closer in size to the HLT1).

The solutions that place the HLT higher in the inside, also tend to make it more difficult to quickly detach if you want to separate the accessory from its tether point. There's an ingenious hack that terayon posted to use paracord to attach the HLT, than you might be able to adapt for a quicker release.

Hope this helps,

moriond

Comment

HLT2 mounted inside the S19. I used Keysmart magnets to attached to D-rings on the cache loops and on the back of HLT so it's easy to remove prior to getting my laptop out. Or I can just flip it back if I need to access my notebook or other items inside. Here's a link to my video since it's too large to attach to this post.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgvML...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Salmanila8 View Post
          HLT2 mounted inside the S19. I used Keysmart magnets to attached to D-rings on the cache loops and on the back of HLT so it's easy to remove prior to getting my laptop out. Or I can just flip it back if I need to access my notebook or other items inside. Here's a link to my video since it's too large to attach to this post.
          That's cool! Now I want to go play with magnets....
          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
          “Sir?”
          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
          “Sir?”
          “That’s practically zen.”
          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

That's cool! Now I want to go play with magnets....
            I was curious about the recommended size and strength ratings for these (and D-ring options). It looked as though the standard Keysmart magnets were rated for 3 lbs weight. Cool that this was originally an earlier Kickstarter project.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply and the warm welcome everyone! moriond G42 Salmanila8

Your ideas are all really great and inspired me. I originally wanted to put the HLT 2 in the chin pocket of the Synik 22 but since that might not work, I might just put a snake charmer in the chin like G42 and go through the ideas in your links moriond Am leaning towards putting the HLT 2 at the main compartment suspended by the o-rings and the snake charmer at the bottom (or maybe a toiletry bag)

Really appreciate the video Salmanila8 ! Do you mind sending a link of where you got those magnetic rings? I think it's a really cool idea! Because I was planning on usnig the HLT 2 as a tech pouch while my laptop will sit in the main compartment. If I used the regular carabineers / clips it might start to get annoying to have to clip and unclip it all the time haha.

Comment

otterpotts link to the magnets below. There's another type I've seen used that are a bit bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076S...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-MSBL...s%2C304&sr=8-3

Comment

Would you mind telling us where you got the D-rings?

Comment

Working...
                  X