Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,891   Posts: 192,255   Members: 6,768   Active Members: 343
Welcome to our newest member, TStorm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Spiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Spiff?

EDIT: Please see the attached photo. I'm sorry--I forgot to put a ruler next to my stuff. But you can probably tell the approximate size of things by the small, travel sized tube of toothpaste. The hairbrush is also not full size but a mini version. There's also the contact lens case for sizing reference. Thank you for your help!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	toiletries 3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	342832

I've been thinking about getting a Spiff Kit. Here's what I usually carry in my toiletry bag: toothbrush and toothpaste, floss, dental night guard in case, Polident and child size toothbrush. Large bottle of all in one cleaner for contact lenses (10 oz.), foundation (in compact), blush in small compact, blush brush, lipstick, cotton swabs, hair scrubber (a plastic thingy with little spikes), eyeglass spray cleaner, hair brush, nail clippers, facial moisturizer (very small container), hand cream, (very small container), hair gel (very small container).

I've been using a Samsonite toiletry kit but I find I end up splitting some of the above contents and packing them separately because they don't quite fit. Also when I put the thing in my suitcase, it takes up a lot of space. Having been TB fan for several years, I'm hoping someone can recommend a toiletry kit. Starting with Spiff, regular or deluxe? Thanks!
    Last edited by ladyinblack1964; 09-18-2022, 02:41 PM.

If you have any tall items, I’d recommend the Deluxe.

Both the Standard and Deluxe are the same design, but the Deluxe has deeper pockets and a built-in “shelf” ledge that holds the four included Nalgene jars, attached by Velcro so they don’t fall off when the bag is unzipped and hung up.

I’m not sure a 10 ounce bottle of contact solution would fit in either? I usually snap the top off a travel size bottle and refill it with the larger bottle I keep on my bathroom counter at home - you’d be surprised how little solution you actually use, and my wife and I will take three day trips together and share a travel size bottle without worrying we’ll run out.

You’ll also want more room for the night guard, which might be another reason to buy the Deluxe over the Standard. It’s just nice to have the extra storage capacity. And I don’t always use the included plastic jars - sometimes I just keep them at home - so I can maximize the amount of things I can pack inside the kit.

FYI, the most secure places to store things are inside the three zippered interior mesh compartments, but since the whole thing folds in half and zips shut, you can also store some extra stuff between the folded halves before you zip it shut.

But I think MOST the items you mention will fit most comfortably inside the larger “Deluxe” size kit. My gut tells me that the hair scrubber and hair brush might be the items that prove too big for either kit.

Best advice? If you can afford it out of pocket (or have a credit card), buy both size sizes, as well as a packing cube shoulder bag. I think the PCSB actually would get the job done if you wanted to fit everything on your list in the same bag, it has a built
    in front outside pocket, and you could always add organization inside (Q-Kits, Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches, etc.) Test pack them all using the same packing list, don’t remove the hang tags, and so long as all you do is test pack them inside your home and they never leave the house, Tom Bihn accepts returns up to 60 days after purchase.

Source: I own both sizes, and actually own them in different fabrics: the Standard is made from Coyote 200 Halcyon and the Deluxe is made from Coyote 210 Ballistic.
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-13-2022, 06:09 PM.
    I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I use most often:
    Everyday Carry: CP or SK
    Overnight Travel: SN22 and SZTSB
    Car Travel: Medium YD and MT
    Plane Travel: CP and WF

Comment

Chicagoan, thank you for your reply! I like the idea of doing a test run with three different products.

Comment

You could also consider the Grab Bag, which is basically the same aspect ratio as a traditional Dopp Kit, however there is no built in organization.

Another consideration would be the Large Snake Charmer.

One way to get a better idea is to make little piles of your stuff and measure to see if they look roughly like what would fit the stated dimensions.

FWIW, I use the Small Snake Charmer for my toothbrush, brush, and all the 'dry' sorts of toiletries and a clear 3DOC for the 'wet' 3-1-1 toiletries, even though I have TSA Pre-Check, because sometimes you still have to take it all out of your bags. Having two bags works well for how I pack.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I think G42 has some great options, too! I don’t own either of the bags they mentioned so I can’t speak to them personally but they both have toiletry kit qualities that align with your capacity and organizational needs.

EDIT: epeterson is one hundred percent right in saying items with small points/spikes don’t mix well with mesh-sided bags, and for that same reason, it might be tricky to store hair brushes inside the Spiff Kit, too, unless they fit inside the large top compartment and you can face the spikes away from the mesh and toward the all fabric back panel. For this reason, I would actually discourage the Standard Spiff Kit and lean toward the Deluxe, because you’d need the larger top compartment for those brush or brushes, but they may be a tight fit.

TBH, and after thinking on your needs, the Large Travel Tray is another one to consider. It’s basically an open top round tray that turns into a stuff sack you can cinch closed and toss into another bag. Super handy because once you unpack at your destination you flip it back into tray mode and all you have to do is set it down on the bathroom counter!

Maybe try to order the following:

Deluxe Spiff Kit
          Packing Cube Shoulder Bag
          Grab Bag
          Large Travel Tray

Keep the item which works best, and return the others for a refund!

Personally I use the Small Travel Tray for road trips and the Standard Spiff Kit for airplane travel.
          Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-13-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Hair brushes and mesh pockets don't mix well, IMO. You might want to look at something like the Grab Bag for that. Might be an issue for the scrubber ("with little spikes") you're describing as well.
            Bike commuting with the Smart Alec!

Comment

And if you take a photo of all your stuff, pilled up next to a ruler or something to give us an idea of some of the sizes, we can do some mock-up test packs, maybe narrow your options
              Chicagoan interesting about using a LTT that way, never really thought about it

ETA:
              epeterson good point about the spikey bits... I carry a flat wide toothed comb that isn't spiky and my brush is the partial kind so I turn it in to face away from the mesh
              Some of the brushes with full 360 bristles would get tangled a bit
              Last edited by G42; 09-13-2022, 07:01 PM.
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                You could also consider the Grab Bag, which is basically the same aspect ratio as a traditional Dopp Kit, however there is no built in organization.

Another consideration would be the Large Snake Charmer.

One way to get a better idea is to make little piles of your stuff and measure to see if they look roughly like what would fit the stated dimensions.

FWIW, I use the Small Snake Charmer for my toothbrush, brush, and all the 'dry' sorts of toiletries and a clear 3DOC for the 'wet' 3-1-1 toiletries, even though I have TSA Pre-Check, because sometimes you still have to take it all out of your bags. Having two bags works well for how I pack.
                I might end up with two pouches. It does seem to make sense!

Comment

Originally posted by epeterson View Post
                  Hair brushes and mesh pockets don't mix well, IMO. You might want to look at something like the Grab Bag for that. Might be an issue for the scrubber ("with little spikes") you're describing as well.
                  Yep....I found that out the hard way. I often end up sticking those items in the suitcase pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                    And if you take a photo of all your stuff, pilled up next to a ruler or something to give us an idea of some of the sizes, we can do some mock-up test packs, maybe narrow your options
                    Chicagoan interesting about using a LTT that way, never really thought about it

ETA:
                    epeterson good point about the spikey bits... I carry a flat wide toothed comb that isn't spiky and my brush is the partial kind so I turn it in to face away from the mesh
                    Some of the brushes with full 360 bristles would get tangled a bit
                    Thank you for the kind offer. I'll see if I can round up my stuff soon!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.5 KB ID:	342657 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0409.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	342658
                      Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
                      the Large Travel Tray is another one to consider.
                      Second vote for the large travel tray

Hopefully all your items are represented.

The medicine box is filling in for your dental guard? ...not sure of size

Filling in for the lens cleaner is the shampoo bottle (400ml)

Everything fits easily.

I pop my liquids in a ziplock quart bag and then place the ziplock bag on top of my dry cosmetics when travelling overseas.
                      Last edited by bijoux; 09-14-2022, 05:03 AM.

Comment

If you can fit your things inside a Large Travel Tray, it really is a GREAT toiletry bag, because it does an equally good job of storing and organizing your things, and since the items stay inside the bag, you're less likely to leave it behind on a trip.

If you travel by airplane, you'll still need to pack a quart-sized Ziploc with your "wet" toiletries, but that might even be something you could just throw on top of the other things before you cinch the LTT shut (which I just noticed is EXACTLY what bijoux does and suggested!).

I think the LTT might be the best fit for your use case scenario, and especially so if you're hoping to consolidate all your items into 1 toiletry bag.

Comment

Originally posted by bijoux View Post
                          Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.5 KB ID:	342657 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0409.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	342658

Second vote for the large travel tray

Hopefully all your items are represented.

The medicine box is filling in for your dental guard? ...not sure of size

Filling in for the lens cleaner is the shampoo bottle (400ml)

Everything fits easily.

I pop my liquids in a ziplock quart bag and then place the ziplock bag on top of my dry cosmetics when travelling overseas.
                          That's great, bijoux! Thank you very much.
                          Here is something funny. I haven't traveled since 2019, and apparently, I never updated my packing list from who-knows-when. Because in the back of my 2019 travel diary, it says that I got by with WAY less than that huge bottle of lens cleaner I listed! Oh my gosh.
                          That LTT looks like it would also be ideal for trips to the beach.

Comment

Working...
                          X