Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,583   Members: 6,646   Active Members: 252
Welcome to our newest member, YSAKit5982.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut or Tristar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flitcraft
    replied
    I thought I was the only person crazy enough to add a coffee maker to my one bag kit! Mine is a lightweight aluminum cup coated in some kind of porcelain looking coating--light weight if a bit bulky. I use a mini sized Melitta cone coffee filter that I've punched with a hole punch, propped with crossed coffee stirrers to hold it over the cup. A sandwich sized ziptop baggie (or a quart ziplock for longer trips) of ground coffee and I'm good to go. I always bring a cup-sized immersion heater, though with luck there will be an electric kettle in my room. Still, can't take chances...

I have to admit, those Via sticks are pretty darned good for instant coffee. I stocked up on the Tribute ones for my upcoming summer travel--I will probably tote along a couple dozen to China, where decent coffee is hard to come by. They weigh practically nothing, so when every ounce counts, they're awfully handy.

Leave a comment:

• mjb
    replied
    Hmm, I bet the Aeropress, grinder, and a vacuum canister of beans would fit nicely inside a Co-Pilot.

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    HI Frank,
    I cannot imagine a lighter weight coffee kit. The Starbucks instant is ok if I add salt. The only thing that might be easier is Folgers coffee bags. My mom likes them, I don't. Maybe we should start a seperate coffee kit thread.
    Happy travels,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    I travel to many places where coffeemakers in the room are non-existent. And since I like a cup of coffee first thing in the morning--even though I eventually go out for a good one--I carry a small kit that's very lightweight and works fine:

Dual Voltage Immersion Heater
    Fold-a-cup (Fold-A-Cup | Magellan's Travel Supplies)
    Coffee--either Starbucks instant sticks, individual coffee bags (like Folgers)
    Either powder creamer or Splenda

(If anyone has some ideas for a better cup-a-joe without carrying lots of extra equipment, let me know.)
    Last edited by Frank II; 04-25-2011, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mjb
    replied
    Originally posted by Jenne View Post
    Coffee maker?
    I bring an Aeropress and a grinder with me on tour. Makes life a little more bearable!

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Originally posted by mjb View Post
    I have both now as well. It's my 3rd Tom Bihn bag.

I just used an Aeronaut and an Empire Builder for a 5-week North American tour. The Aeronaut held the typical stuff (clothes, toiletries, coffee maker, misc), while my Empire Builder was my portable office (laptop, printer, files, etc).

While in Philadelphia, a friend showed me his Tri-star, which he used for a 3-month trip in Asia. I ordered my Tri-star the next day, and will use it for a 5-day trip to Brazil next month. I'll carry my clothes, laptop, printer, and some audio gear in there and should have plenty of room left over.
    Must admit - I'd love to see his packing list!

Leave a comment:

• bennero
    replied
    Well, it has been a bit since I posted last but I have been pretty busy. I thought I would share my experience with my Aeronaut and ID. The ID was perfect and so was the Aeronaut with the backpack straps. I over packed it and paid the price but had no choice.

I thought I would share my experience was on a CRJ-700 upon entering the plane another passenger commented "I see why you use soft side" and then as we exited the plane I watched a long line at the end of the ramp waiting for their gate checked rollers.
    I breezed right by and it made the purchase all worth while.

Thanks TOM BIHN!

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    I have a little plastic stick and coffee filters with holes in them. Add coffee, stick the stick through the holes, rest on top of a coffee cup, pour boiling water, and voila! I'm going to look into that coffee travel kit!
    Hi Jenne,
    Those filter and stick set ups work fairly well. I got my dripper thing at LLBean. It was a bit pricey but when it comes to a decent cup of coffee in the moring I'm not picky about an extra couple of dollars. If you get a water heater get one with the metal clip, not the plastic ones. The plastic ones don't work worth a hoot as far as I'm concerned.
    Happy travels,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    I have a little plastic stick and coffee filters with holes in them. Add coffee, stick the stick through the holes, rest on top of a coffee cup, pour boiling water, and voila! I'm going to look into that coffee travel kit!

Leave a comment:

• KarlJ
    replied
    I used to, back when many hotels I encountered had these weird and crazy interpretations of what a "clean" coffemaker in the room was.

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    Hi all,
    From reading the last three posts it seems that maybe everyone doesn't travel with coffee making supplies. I never leave home without mine. I have a small water heater, a fold up Melita like dripper gizzmo, filters, a whole kit. Its really small and weighs next to nothing. The filter gizzmo is round and when packed, about 5" in diameter and about a half inch thick. I'm hoping my little kit will fit well in the middle section of the Tri-Star that will be in my next order.
    Happy travels,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• KarlJ
    replied
    Coffee maker?
    lol... but, of course!

(Those initials "M J B" in the username may tell a tale...)

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    Coffee maker?

Leave a comment:

• mjb
    replied
    I have both now as well. It's my 3rd Tom Bihn bag.

I just used an Aeronaut and an Empire Builder for a 5-week North American tour. The Aeronaut held the typical stuff (clothes, toiletries, coffee maker, misc), while my Empire Builder was my portable office (laptop, printer, files, etc).

While in Philadelphia, a friend showed me his Tri-star, which he used for a 3-month trip in Asia. I ordered my Tri-star the next day, and will use it for a 5-day trip to Brazil next month. I'll carry my clothes, laptop, printer, and some audio gear in there and should have plenty of room left over.

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Note: I have both; the Aeronaut I purchased used (from a forum user), the Tri-Star I bought new.

If I could truly keep only one, it would probably be the Tri-Star, but if I could order a bag to spec, if might be an Aeronaut with some Tri-Star features (more flexible outside pockets) and closer to the Tri-Star's size, but with less interior organization.

Went on a 3-day trip recently, had both to hand, chose to travel with the Tri-Star because of the slightly smaller size. Either one was more space than I truly needed, which (in that case) was actually a plus for the interior pockets of the Tri-Star -- it doesn't get floppy when underfilled. The downside to the interior divisions to me is mostly weight -- the Tri-Star is way lighter than an equivalent hard-side, Yes, but the heavy-duty dividers do add ounces.

It's a hard choice, though -- which is why I see that the original poster, and so many commenters have taken the same path and bought both

timothy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X