Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,786   Members: 6,896   Active Members: 241
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern-day Cache for Antique MacBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern-day Cache for Antique MacBook

Hi there. I'm looking for a Cache that would fit a 13" 2011 MacBook Pro. It has an optical drive, so it's considerably thicker than any newer-generation MacBooks (and most non-Mac laptops, as well). I've checked through the specs for all the currently-available Caches but none seems to have quite the right fit. A few months ago I asked the customer service folks for any suggestions and they indicated there might be a slight redesign on the next production run of Caches but I'm not sure if that happened or is still planned. It's more than okay if the fit isn't quite perfect; I'm having a tough time finding any manufacturers who sell a case or sleeve to fit one of these old beasts, so I'm willing to accept some wiggling/sliding (too big is better than too small, obviously). Dimensions for reference:
    • Height: 0.95 inch/2.41 cm
    • Width: 12.78 inches/32.5 cm
    • Depth: 8.94 inches/22.7 cm

Welcome to the Forums sharkpop !
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Hi sharkpop You can probably get away with a slightly smaller size cache, but an old model cache that they made tons of (since it worked for lots of PCs in the 14” class, too) was the old size 6Z. The 13A is likely a better fit, but here’s an old post that gives those dimensions
      Old Cache sizes? posted by autolycus in July 2022
      https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ld-cache-sizes

There were/are tons of these around, although you may be trying to get a new cache. I shot a sequence of pictures to demonstrate that people were carrying 14” PCs could also fit their 14” laptops in the Mini Yeoman Duffel when it debuted.Here’s the post that shows that. I even put s Side Effect inside the 6z cache holding a laptop, and put that size cache holding a laptop into a Daylight Briefcase then dumped the whole shebang into the Mini Yeoman Duffel. (A big issue for the Night Flight Travel Duffel introduced around then was that you couldn’t use it to carry most laptops.

The 6Z would hold 13” MacBooks from about 2009.

HTH

moriond
      Last edited by moriond; 01-05-2023, 03:40 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Thanks for the welcome G42 and thanks moriond for the great advice! I'll look around for a 6Z, because I'd be happy to give a new loving home to an old case -- but if I don't get lucky in my search I'll just go for a 13A

Comment

Originally posted by sharkpop View Post
          Thanks for the welcome G42 and thanks moriond for the great advice! I'll look around for a 6Z, because I'd be happy to give a new loving home to an old case -- but if I don't get lucky in my search I'll just go for a 13A
          Before they changed the design to make a single cache with rails that works in both horizontal and vertical orientations (pre-2018 caches), they had separate horizontal and vertical caches with rails that closed with a flap. I actually prefer to use these, and I’m able to find a cache for my 2021 14” MacBook Pro from my existing cache collection. Which orientation(s)/bag designs are you looking to match?

Comment

Working...
          X