Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,761   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 244
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bag advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag advice

I'm looking for a backpack that I can use for EDC and occasional under-the-seat-in-front-of-me on a plane for two midsize laptops (~14" PCs), iPad, headphones, assorted chargers, mouse, pens, water bottle. I just ordered a Brain Bag but now I'm wondering if it'll be too big. Also the lack of laptop sleeve (meaning I have to get two Caches for another $100) is kind of annoying.

Since it's already ordered, I'll wait until I get it and see how big it is but what are peoples' other thoughts on the right bag for me? I also want something that looks professional enough to not raise eyebrows at a stuffy client meeting.

Welcome to the Forums gfunkdave !

The Brain Bag is pretty large at 36L but it has cinch straps so you can snug it down if you don't use all the space. If you're on smaller regional planes or some seats with restricted under seat space (like some Southwest, etc), then it still may be an issue, depending on how much stuff you bring.

The cache is good for if you want the laptop attached to the bag for convenience or airport security if you don't have TSA Pre-Check. You don't need to use them though. I usually use simple neoprene type sleeves in bags without built-in options.

Other backpack options will depend a bit on the exact dimensions of your laptops.

The Synapse 25 (add a cache + your own sleeve, or two of your own sleeves) might work and the Synik 30 (one built-in sleeve)... Also consider the two new Addax bags... They have a built-in sleeve plus a secondary partial sleeve.

Specific laptop dimensions would help if you have them and again, some bags would work in tighter under seat spaces only if underpacked.
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The laptops are about 9.5"x12.5".

The backpack I've (sheepishly) been using is a North Face Hot Shot from maybe 15 years ago. I think the Brain is a little bigger. I think what I want is the Synik, which seems like it's a similar size.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunkdave View Post
        I think what I want is the Synik, which seems like it's a similar size.
        If your budget allows it (or your credit card limit), it can be helpful to order an assortment of packs and then return what doesn't work. I think the Syniks with one built in laptop area plus carrying another laptop in the main compartment might fit you best, but G42 is right about the BB being versatile. It's one heck of a bag but is fairly lightweight, compresses really well, and has separate main compartments (which I love). IMO the Syniks/Synapses look a little more professional than the BB, but a lot of that is personal and depends on color choice. Good luck with your search & keep us posted on the final solution!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post

If your budget allows it (or your credit card limit), it can be helpful to order an assortment of packs and then return what doesn't work. I think the Syniks with one built in laptop area plus carrying another laptop in the main compartment might fit you best, but G42 is right about the BB being versatile. It's one heck of a bag but is fairly lightweight, compresses really well, and has separate main compartments (which I love). IMO the Syniks/Synapses look a little more professional than the BB, but a lot of that is personal and depends on color choice. Good luck with your search & keep us posted on the final solution!
          Yeah, that's what I wound up doing.

Comment

Working...
          X