Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,745   Posts: 190,322   Members: 6,605   Active Members: 255
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut - but smaller....maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by roadrunner View Post
    any updates on this? With the new colors coming out, I am tempted to pick up a Tri-Star, but if this is close, I'll wait...
    No updates yet. It could be out in four months, or four years. We'll see!

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    replied
    Originally posted by Just View Post
    Same dimensions, just the backpack straps were done a bit differently.
    How were the backpack straps different? I've been combing through archives to find a picture or detailed description . . .

And yet another vote for a smaller Aeronaut! I love the design of it, but I think it would look rather silly on my 5'0" frame.

Leave a comment:

• roadrunner
    replied
    any updates on this? With the new colors coming out, I am tempted to pick up a Tri-Star, but if this is close, I'll wait...

Leave a comment:

• Novan Leon
    replied
    Originally posted by cpau View Post
    Wow, August 2008 discussion all over again :-) (search for "Aeronette" if you want to see!)

Definitely. Australian carry-on dimensions are typically 19x14x9 max, but a bag 19x13x8 would work very very well too and allow for stuffage expansion. I definitely like the layout and flexibility for packing in a bag of the Aeronaut design, which is why I was a very sad panda when the Tri-star came out, despite others being delighted with it.

One end pocket and a big roomy section that zips exactly the way the aeronaut does. With a light-coloured inside (or the option for it).

PLEASE don't, don't, DON'T make it 20 1/2" long or similar (as asked for in sojourner's thread); that is too long.
    19x13x8 is approximately 32 liters in volume, which sounds ideal to me, especially with the cavernous "duffel" style bag that is the Aeronaut.

Leave a comment:

• cpau
    replied
    Wow, August 2008 discussion all over again :-) (search for "Aeronette" if you want to see!)

Originally posted by travelwkid View Post
    Can you please take into account Australian carry-on luggage dimension limits? :-)
    As others have suggested, I like the idea of only one end pocket for the smaller Aeronaut too.
    Definitely. Australian carry-on dimensions are typically 19x14x9 max, but a bag 19x13x8 would work very very well too and allow for stuffage expansion. I definitely like the layout and flexibility for packing in a bag of the Aeronaut design, which is why I was a very sad panda when the Tri-star came out, despite others being delighted with it.

One end pocket and a big roomy section that zips exactly the way the aeronaut does. With a light-coloured inside (or the option for it).

PLEASE don't, don't, DON'T make it 20 1/2" long or similar (as asked for in sojourner's thread); that is too long.
    Last edited by cpau; 05-01-2011, 05:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thorn
    replied
    Aeronut? Shorter physical size, and shorter name.

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Originally posted by wennefer View Post
    It seems that in the past there was an Aeronaut Breve (for shorter people). Just curious, how did the dimensions compare to the Aeronaut?
    Same dimensions, just the backpack straps were done a bit differently.

Leave a comment:

• wennefer
    replied
    It seems that in the past there was an Aeronaut Breve (for shorter people). Just curious, how did the dimensions compare to the Aeronaut?

Leave a comment:

• Novan Leon
    replied
    A smaller Aeronaut? Sign me up!

I'm a satisfied Empire Builder owner, and I've been looking for the perfect travel bag to compliment it for a while. I've had my eyes on the Aeronaut, Tri-star and Western Flyer but none of them quite fit the bill. The Aeronaut is almost perfect but just a little too large for my needs. A "mini-Aeronaut" somewhere between the size of the Tri-star and Western Flyer would be perfect. If this can be done, I'll be the first in line to purchase one of the new "mini-Aeronauts".

PS. It may be asking the impossible but it would be ideal if the "mini-Aeronaut" was just large enough to accommodate an Eagle Creek Garment Sleeve like shown in this video, minus the peripheral items of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pMEA...ailpage#t=165s
    Last edited by Novan Leon; 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    Is there an approximate date when this new, smaller Aeronaut will be available??
    Not quite yet, but we'll keep you updated as much as we can.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    What about a bag that has end pockets that zip off or to the inside, and a depth control zipper that allows it to be a little flatter when zipped, and when unzipped it expands to accommodate more?
    It would be a hybrid between the Aeronaut size when fully expanded and something smaller and more accommodating to budget airlines when compact.
    To cut weight down could it be made in Dyneema?

Leave a comment:

• Carolina
    replied
    Is there an approximate date when this new, smaller Aeronaut will be available??

Leave a comment:

• travelwkid
    replied
    Can you please take into account Australian carry-on luggage dimension limits? :-)

As others have suggested, I like the idea of only one end pocket for the smaller Aeronaut too.

Leave a comment:

• malamalama
    replied
    ShineAgain, I agree. I also have an Air Boss. Like I said, I found myself preferring the Aeronaut and the reason is because of the way you pack it. I noticed this not while I was at home preparing for the trip, but while on the trip trying to bring home a bunch of souvenirs. It was easier to stuff them in the main compartment among the clothes rather than trying to figure out where it should go in the other bag. Unless you roll it inside as the core using the bundle method of packing, it's going to be on the outside with no real padding or protection.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    We hear you! A smaller Aeronaut has been on Tom's mind for quite some time -- we hope to introduce it soon.
    Oooo I am so there! I love the side compartment for stashing grubby shoes, damp towels, whatnot. This would be terrific!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X