Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,197   Members: 6,711   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, Rangerjo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comfort in backpack mode (tristar/WF/aeronaut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maverick
    replied
    hi daisy!

i've carried the aeronaut backpack style on a number of trips by air, rail and car. the backpack straps are extremely comfortable and allow you to spread the load across your back. the aeronaut has been great whether i'm running through the airport with sternum strap on to make a flight, whether i decide to go into a city while on layover between flights, and whether i'm having to climb stairs or walk on cobblestone streets. i've walked for an hour or two with ease with the aeronaut on my back.

the story is similar with the western flyer and tri-star, which share the backpack straps found on the aeronaut.

my only word of caution is that you be sensitive to the amount of weight you can comfortably carry for a period of time on your back. while i could load 30 lb of stuff in my aeronaut, my back would probably not appreciate that!

Leave a comment:

• daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by dorayme View Post
    I can't speak to how it would feel carrying it almost all day though if that is what you are asking.
    Thanks Dorayme,

we'll be staying in hotels, traveling mainly by train within Europe - so I guess the carrying will be just getting between hotels and trains and up poky staircases etc. I'd normally be happy doing a 20-30 min walk to get to the station but the bags may be enough to mean we take buses/taxis.

I think I'm past taking up backpacking ! although I really don't want to be dragging a wheelie all over europe. I remember dragging a wheeled samsonite from the station in Dijon to our rented barge many moons ago. Ungood.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    I carried my WF with backpack straps quite a bit this weekend with the hotel changes, etc. I found it comfortable, loading it slightly differently can help that. Had I chosen the sternum and waist straps it also would have been better. It was very balanced and didn't make me feel like I was going to fall backwards or anything. I can't speak to how it would feel carrying it almost all day though if that is what you are asking.

Leave a comment:

• daisy
    started a topic Comfort in backpack mode (tristar/WF/aeronaut)

Comfort in backpack mode (tristar/WF/aeronaut)

How comfortable are the stowaway style backpack straps on the travel bags?

I'm will be traveling in Europe for approx 6wks in Oct/Nov and would love to take a TB bag. I was thinking WF but am rather taken by the navy/iberian Tristar..

Are they comfortable enough to carry for significant distances/time? Or mainly handy for the airport dash between gates?

I'm not generally a big user of backpacks at all but carrying the weight on one shoulder throws my back out of whack.
Working...
X