Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,634   Posts: 189,015   Members: 6,619   Active Members: 298
MapGuy
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MapGuy.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody NOT use the absolute strap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    MarcVH

• MarcVH
    replied
    I prefer the backpack straps on my Aeronaut, unless it's a very short distance, in which case I just use the handle. Probably the only advantage (for me) of the shoulder strap is that it makes me look 7% less dorky.

Leave a comment:

• wennefer
    Forum Member

• wennefer
    replied
    I use the Absolute strap on my Western Flyer. I also usually have problems with straps slipping off my shoulders, but the Absolute strap is very grippy. It is wide, but given the weight of my packed WF, I think it helps distribute the weight and makes carrying the bag easier. BTW, I have the WF with the roller-board pocket because I wanted the extra external and internal pockets that you lose with the backpack straps.

On the other hand, I use the regular strap on my Imago and Ristretto. I've tried the Absolute strap on these bags and do find it too big and bouncy. Amazingly the regular straps don't slip; the grippy shoulder pads on them really work well.

Leave a comment:

• pw1224
    Forum Member

• pw1224
    replied
    I had the Quick Adjust Messenger strap on my Ego and it was comfortable but I switched it out for the Absolute Strap and the Absolute has been on the Ego ever since. The QAM was comfortable but the Absolute was even more comfortable. And I didn't adjust the QAM length/position enough to warrant keeping it on when the Absolute was just that much more comfy. I still have the QAM in case I change my mind but I should probably just put it up on eBay.

Leave a comment:

• makingmark
    Forum Member

• makingmark
    replied
    Western Flyer. Tried the Absolute Strap, I don't doubt it's the best of its breed, but I will be returning it. Backpack straps are way more practical. Shoulder straps are annoying when you aren't using them - they can't tuck into the bag like the shoulder straps do, and the Absolute Strap is pretty bulky to be putting in your bag.

Leave a comment:

• snowbot
    Forum Member

• snowbot
    replied
    I'm glad I have the Absolute Strap, but that's because my husband is a fan of it. I much prefer the backpack straps for my TriStar. If the bag isn't very heavy, I just carry it by the suitcase handles.

Leave a comment:

• Tzporah
    Forum Member

• Tzporah
    replied
    Mine was an add on and actually comes off. I'm pretty sure this is how the newer ones work as well.

Leave a comment:

• thisisme
    Forum Member

• thisisme
    replied
    Originally posted by Tzporah View Post
    I prefer using the backpack straps with my Aeronaut. Especially since I was able to add the waist strap to mine. I have an absolute strap, but the only time I use it is when I need to carry my spinning wheel (since that goes on my back)
    @Tzporah -- does the waist strap tuck in when not in use?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Tzporah
    Forum Member

• Tzporah
    replied
    I prefer using the backpack straps with my Aeronaut. Especially since I was able to add the waist strap to mine. I have an absolute strap, but the only time I use it is when I need to carry my spinning wheel (since that goes on my back)

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    Forum Member

• marbenais
    replied
    I prefer to use the Standard Strap for the Large Cafe Bag & Imago & Co-Pilot because I really like having the pad stay in place while the strap moves. I do not like repositioning the strap when I swing a messenger bag around -- with the separate pad, the strap slides through without manual adjustments.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    Forum Member

• Lani
    replied
    Count me and my husband in for this. My husband says the leather reinforcement portion that's sewn on the edge of the neoprene section feels extra stiff to him, and unfortunately tends to dig into his collar bone and he says it's actually physically uncomfortable for him.

I don't have the same problem, but I'm not a fan of the "bouncy feel" you get from the Neoprene.

Currently for my WF and our Tri-Stars, we use Rick Steves' extra padding shoulder strap. It's pretty sturdy and has no bounce.

Leave a comment:

• Revolver
    Forum Member

• Revolver
    replied
    The absolute shoulder strap is clearly the best strap out there. I almost have the same level of comfort with heavy loads in my Aeronaut using the absolute strap as I do in backpack mode.

Leave a comment:

• ncb4
    Forum Member

• ncb4
    replied
    I'm 5'8" and have relatively broad shoulders, for a woman (they go well with my long gorilla arms). And yet I too have problems with shoulder straps: though not necessarily with them sliding off. The Absolute Strap, which I have used with both my Imago and my Tri-Star, will grip your shoulder, so it's not going to fall off. And it is soft and cushy, and does make carrying a bag less stressful and painful. The problem I have is that it's so wide (about 2 5/8 inches) that it feels too big in that dimension, too bulky riding on my shoulder. That's just my own little quirk. :P

Don't get me wrong: the Absolute is a remarkable strap, and I don't regret purchasing it. I do keep it permanently affixed to my Imago, though I've stopped using it with my Tri-Star; the backpack straps help me carry a heavier load more comfortably than any shoulder strap could, even the Absolute. However, sometimes I do find myself picking up my Medium Cafe Bag and using it for the day, precisely because it does not have an Absolute Strap attached. I find the narrower strap of the MCB more comfortable in situations when I'm going to be taking it off and on a lot: say driving around and doing multiple errands in my car. If I'm going to be walking around town all day with all my gear in tow, then I use the Imago with its Absolute Strap.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    Forum Member

• rabergnc
    replied
    I have a couple of absolute straps that I switch among various bags. In the past I have attached it to my TriStar but found I used either one of handles or the backpack straps. A bag the size of the TriStar just seems to get a bit too heavy or is a bit too awkward fro me to use with a shoulder strap. Same for the WF when I had one. (I am fairly average sized 5' 9", 160 lbs). The absolute straps are great for smaller bags - Tom Bihn and others
    rabergnc
    Forum Member
    Last edited by rabergnc; 07-28-2011, 12:28 PM. Reason: typos again

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    Forum Member

• misterN
    replied
    I don't use an Absolute Strap. Incidentally, I don't have one either :'-(

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    TB Ravelry *********

• dorayme
    replied
    I am 5'2" and have a small to medium build. I use my WF in backpack mode only, except when I am transferring it like putting it into my car. It is very comfortable carried with the backpack straps in this way. I see no reason to carry it over my shoulder unless I was traveling with my Synapse or eBags Motherlode which is also a convertible backpack.
    I have an Absolute Strap, but use it on my Imago. FWIW the Absolute strap hugs and grips, so it would probably surprise you with how well it did stay on your shoulder. But you don't need it to comfortably manage the Western Flyer IMHO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X