Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,528   Posts: 187,816   Members: 6,492   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, caw.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western flyer colors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    All right, you enablers! I ordered the steel/UV Western Flyer and a steel packing cube shoulder bag (less obvious). Spanair carry on is 6k (8k to us and Canada - not sure whether this counts as it is codeshare with Air Canada). That should be lots. Backpack, as i learned last time in Spain, I am not a Spain sized person. I live in Calgary where we are headed for -30F so their winter clothes are probably my summer clothes! Also, this is supposed to be a low cost trip and the WF pretty much tanks my spending money for the trip. Now that I am retired I definitely need to cut down on my discretionary spending (but not my Tom Bihn spending obviously!!!). I will post my packing list and pics.

    I am compiling a list of galleries, architecture and museums and starting my dayplanning.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by TavaPeak View Post
      I think about the WF, but do I need a WF and a Tristar? hmm
      Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with one of each (at least!). It's nice to have the options, even if the WF is only slightly smaller than the TriStar. I plan to get the WF with the rolling handle pocket sleeve, as the TriStar will have the backpack straps automatically. That way - more choice of options depending on the trip. Also I happen to like the extra little pockets in that mode of WF too.
      "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by jannilee View Post
        All right, you enablers! I ordered the steel/UV Western Flyer and a steel packing cube shoulder bag (less obvious). Spanair carry on is 6k (8k to us and Canada - not sure whether this counts as it is codeshare with Air Canada). That should be lots. Backpack, as i learned last time in Spain, I am not a Spain sized person. I live in Calgary where we are headed for -30F so their winter clothes are probably my summer clothes! Also, this is supposed to be a low cost trip and the WF pretty much tanks my spending money for the trip. Now that I am retired I definitely need to cut down on my discretionary spending (but not my Tom Bihn spending obviously!!!). I will post my packing list and pics.

        I am compiling a list of galleries, architecture and museums and starting my dayplanning.
        Cheers to Jannilee! Looking forward to your packing list and the highlights of your trip upon your return.
        "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

        Comment


          #19
          Jannilee, I'm glad you submitted to our gentle imperatives. Now we're going to start hassling you to show us all your pictures (and smuggle us some ham).

          Maria, I have the WF with the pocket sleeve. At first I was concerned that I'd miss the backpack straps, but after carrying it with a variety of loads, I've learned that with the absolute strap it is really very comfortable. I'm planning on getting a Tri-Star eventually, and I think I will definitely appreciate the backpack straps with that.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Badger View Post
            Jannilee, I'm glad you submitted to our gentle imperatives. Now we're going to start hassling you to show us all your pictures (and smuggle us some ham).

            Maria, I have the WF with the pocket sleeve. At first I was concerned that I'd miss the backpack straps, but after carrying it with a variety of loads, I've learned that with the absolute strap it is really very comfortable. I'm planning on getting a Tri-Star eventually, and I think I will definitely appreciate the backpack straps with that.
            Hence it's always nice to have both for the options!

            Cheers Badger!
            "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

            Comment


              #21
              Below are weather forecast links for your destination, essential for planning an adequate wardrobe.

              AccuWeather.com - Spain | Madrid 15 Day Weather Forecast

              Weather Forecast - Madrid, Spain - Local & Long Range | Wunderground

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Badger View Post

                Maria, I have the WF with the pocket sleeve. At first I was concerned that I'd miss the backpack straps, but after carrying it with a variety of loads, I've learned that with the absolute strap it is really very comfortable.
                I second this. I have the WF with rolling handle sleeve and really like it with the absolute strap.

                I originally considered the Tri-Star too, but after traveling with my WF, I think I made the right decision. I don't think I would want to carry a heavier bag, with or without the backpack straps. So I like that the size of the WF limits the weight of what I can pack.
                My Tom Bihn stuff: Western Flyer (Black/Steel), Large WF packing cube (Steel), Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Steel), Absolute shoulder strap, Horizontal Cache, Clear Organizer Wallet (Plum), Small Dyneema pouch (UV), Ballistic Nylon Pen/Pencil Pouch (Steel), FOJ Pouch (Navy), Clear Quarter Packing Cube (UV), Small Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), and the Super Secret Mystery Gift!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by backpack View Post
                  You need an UV Packing Cube Shoulder Bag!
                  Wait up, guys! You are extolling the virtues of the PCSB without me! I need in on this! ;-)

                  I see that @jannilee already ordered one, but I can't stop myself from saying what a great buy it will be. I've packed clothing in mine, used them as day bags, tossed them in other bags, used them alone. The size is perfect for a variety of purposes and the lightweight, strong Dyneema makes it easy to stow in another bag just in case you need extra carrying capacity later. If you knit (and of course you should), the PCSB can hold your project. It's a crazy handy bag and you won't regret having one!
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Thanks for the weather info, Backpack. I will make use of that. Badger I will eat and take pics of Iberian ham in your honor! If it could be legally imported to theUS I would even send you some. Since my brother is a scientist with theCanadian Food inspection Agency I am all too aware of the hazards of bio imports. I am getting the wf with backpack straps because I never ever take more than one bag.
                    In SF the ratio was about 6:1 huge clunky rolling bags to more modest carry on size and I was the ONLY person I saw with a non rolling bag - not even any backpack only folks.
                    Janine, of course I will take knitting! It generally takes me longer to decide on the travel project than on the clothes. This time I think it will be a shawlette I have promised a friend.

                    UPSsays the bag has left the west coast. Now it just needs to go to the east before it comes to Canada. Tomorrow is supposed to be delivery day but sometimes it doesn't quite make the delivery cutoff so perhaps Friday instead.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Badger - The Ibérico de bellota ham can be found in Toronto Ontario. Might be a closer journey than Spain? (Although not as much fun otherwise!)

                      Jamón Ibérico de Pata Negra, Ham from Spain, Iberian ham, Jambon Espagnol, Prosciutto Spagnolo, Spanischer Schinken

                      It's imported here by Toronto's Serrano Imports. Several of the high end grocery stores sell it, but only in packages of sliced ham. Also, the higher end restaurants.

                      Sorry to get off topic. But I'll celebrate when my next TB order arrives and get some Ibérico de bellota!
                      "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Huh! Someone is making it n Iowa. Might be worth a taste!

                        http://laquercia.us/press_pdfs/Bello...la_quercia.pdf
                        Last edited by jannilee; 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: Stupid auto edit

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of two stores that carry it. I just have to make sure for the 36 month cured not the 24 month. Alas, it's a real treat and not something I get every day!
                          "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

                          Comment


                            #28
                            LaQuercia is indeed in Iowa, and they make some great products that are available all over the Midwest. I was sort of kidding about the ham; the thought of Jannilee trying to smuggle an entire haunch in her WF was amusing me to no end.

                            This winter I'm going to be able to try culatello. It's a cured meat that apparently makes proscuitto di Parma seem like Oscar Mayer in comparison. I shall report on the veracity of that claim sometime in January.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Yes, it would be funny! I am sure no one would notice the bits hanging out. Perhaps if it wouldn't fit in the wf i could just carry it under my coat.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Maria View Post
                                I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of two stores that carry it. I just have to make sure for the 36 month cured not the 24 month. Alas, it's a real treat and not something I get every day!
                                Hm! There is a specialty foods store by my place, I wonder if they carry it! I'll have to stop in sometime soon and check it out!
                                http://www.tombihn.com
                                1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
                                Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X