Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,505   Posts: 187,571   Members: 6,464   Active Members: 321
Welcome to our newest member, Findbooradley.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western flyer colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• murielalex
    replied
    Any news on the new colors happening with the Western Flyer?

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    On the backpack WF there is a zippered divider like in the tristar. The shoes are in one side of that with the soap and tech stuff. What amazes me is how much more i could fit in if i wanted to. I leave in a week and a half so I have lots of time to play around with packing ( hums happily). Club you to death? Badger you are such a ham! Teehee. I would just sic my badger dog on you.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    @Jannilee,
    That's an impressive quantity of stuff (all well-chosen and curated, though). One question: are the shoes in your 1/4 packing cube? Or are they just floating in the compartmentalized section?

Whew, I'm glad you like the bag; I was worried that if you didn't you'd club me to death--with a canned ham.

Congratulations on what seems like a very gratifying purchase! When do you leave for Spain?

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Okay, I LOVE this bag. In fact my tristar may be looking for a new home very soon! While the packing cube shoulder bag may be useful, I prefer the smaller eagle creek packing cubes so may return this.

I did a test packing this morning:
    in the divided compartment...
    double sided half cube(EC)
    1short sleeve shirt
    1 long sleeve shirt
    1 pullover
    pjs

EC 1/4 cube
    2 ex officio briefs
    3pr socks

ec 1/4 cube
    ipad charger
    camera, charger, extra battery, iPad camera adapter,

spare shoes
    soap, deodorant

In the undivided compartment...
    2 pants (one dress, one travel pants)

Water bottle pocket
    3-1-1 bag
    big pocket - iPad

small pocket - nothing yet but probably travel docs

Total weight??
    TADA!!!!!!! 11lb flat and lots of room for more stuff

Have I said I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this bag???

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    It arrived only 10 minutes ago. I am going out to a play so won't have time to pack and drool over it tonight. So far looks good. I foolishly didn't order a simple strap for the packing cube shoulder bag so will have to figure out something for that. Your academician tendencies are showing if you worry about misspelling prosciutto - now ham or jamon - that WOULD be beyond the pale!

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    So, what's the verdict on the knitting/ham/traveling to Spain bag?

(I also just realized I misspelled prosciutto a few posts back when I was trying to be all stealthy at work. Hangs head in shame.)

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Snicker! Aren't ALL bags project bags?? They sure are at my house! At the moment...small and large ziplocs,Tom bihn stuff sacs, nylon shopping bag, know knits bag, small swift and large swift. my copilot is not in use at the moment but it is a great knitting bag,as I posted a while ago.

Oh, and most importantly the wf has left Minneapolis. Tomorrow is looking very likely. Better start packing so I can do a trial pack as soon as it is in the door.
    Last edited by jannilee; 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM. Reason: Update on ups

Leave a comment:

• jaon
    replied
    Originally posted by Janine View Post
    If you knit (and of course you should), the PCSB can hold your project.
    Why didn't I know this? I don't remember seeing it mentioned before either here or on Ravelry.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by Maria View Post
    I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of two stores that carry it. I just have to make sure for the 36 month cured not the 24 month. Alas, it's a real treat and not something I get every day!
    Hm! There is a specialty foods store by my place, I wonder if they carry it! I'll have to stop in sometime soon and check it out!

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Yes, it would be funny! I am sure no one would notice the bits hanging out. Perhaps if it wouldn't fit in the wf i could just carry it under my coat.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    LaQuercia is indeed in Iowa, and they make some great products that are available all over the Midwest. I was sort of kidding about the ham; the thought of Jannilee trying to smuggle an entire haunch in her WF was amusing me to no end.

This winter I'm going to be able to try culatello. It's a cured meat that apparently makes proscuitto di Parma seem like Oscar Mayer in comparison. I shall report on the veracity of that claim sometime in January.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of two stores that carry it. I just have to make sure for the 36 month cured not the 24 month. Alas, it's a real treat and not something I get every day!

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Huh! Someone is making it n Iowa. Might be worth a taste!

http://laquercia.us/press_pdfs/Bello...la_quercia.pdf
    Last edited by jannilee; 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: Stupid auto edit

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Badger - The Ibérico de bellota ham can be found in Toronto Ontario. Might be a closer journey than Spain? (Although not as much fun otherwise!)

Jamón Ibérico de Pata Negra, Ham from Spain, Iberian ham, Jambon Espagnol, Prosciutto Spagnolo, Spanischer Schinken

It's imported here by Toronto's Serrano Imports. Several of the high end grocery stores sell it, but only in packages of sliced ham. Also, the higher end restaurants.

Sorry to get off topic. But I'll celebrate when my next TB order arrives and get some Ibérico de bellota!

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Thanks for the weather info, Backpack. I will make use of that. Badger I will eat and take pics of Iberian ham in your honor! If it could be legally imported to theUS I would even send you some. Since my brother is a scientist with theCanadian Food inspection Agency I am all too aware of the hazards of bio imports. I am getting the wf with backpack straps because I never ever take more than one bag.
    In SF the ratio was about 6:1 huge clunky rolling bags to more modest carry on size and I was the ONLY person I saw with a non rolling bag - not even any backpack only folks.
    Janine, of course I will take knitting! It generally takes me longer to decide on the travel project than on the clothes. This time I think it will be a shawlette I have promised a friend.

UPSsays the bag has left the west coast. Now it just needs to go to the east before it comes to Canada. Tomorrow is supposed to be delivery day but sometimes it doesn't quite make the delivery cutoff so perhaps Friday instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X