Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,521   Posts: 187,761   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 309
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVService
    replied
    Yes
    I usually just sling each one over a shoulder and race-walk through the Airport.
    I am not a BackPack person at all and will only use one for short hauls if I run out of shoulders.
    My main problem is getting them on and off my back taking into account my freakish Monkey Arms.

When carrying all three though I usually get the Synapse on my back and the S.E. and TriStar on a shoulder each.

I guess I should try the Tri on my back sometime?

Ed

Leave a comment:

• conejo23
    replied
    So Ed, when you traveled with the TriStar and the Synapse, did that include any air travel? Just wondering how you physically carried each bag and how you found that experience.

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    Originally posted by conejo23 View Post
    Ed, thank you for those pics, always great to see real world usage. A follow up question if I may, sir: have you ever carried both your brain bag and tri star at the same time? If so, how did that go? I'd think it would be brain bag as a backpack, tri star with the shoulder strap?
    I have not.
    I have traveled a few times now with the TriStar,Synapse and Super Ego and a few times with just the TriStar.

It really is an amazing bag but each Bihn bag really is for different reasons.

I have my Brain Bags tasked for now with carrying cargo when I drive out of town for work and as Emergency Response bags for Amateur Radio work that I do.

I have been tempted at times by almost all of the bags here but The Imago didn't work for me and my Dad loves it now.

Too many Bags Too little Time!

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Dorayme, what bag did you pack that stuff into?
    From the configuration of compartments she describes, I'd guess she meant to type "into the front section of my Western Flyer." For a second, I was tempted to type "Brain Bag," but I think the BB is her husband's? Don't ask me how I know this . . . I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• conejo23
    replied
    Ed, thank you for those pics, always great to see real world usage. A follow up question if I may, sir: have you ever carried both your brain bag and tri star at the same time? If so, how did that go? I'd think it would be brain bag as a backpack, tri star with the shoulder strap?

Dorayme, what bag did you pack that stuff into?

Thanks so much for the responses, folks.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    I have no TriStar; on my last trip I fit 2 CQPC, an 80% full large stuff sack, a PCSB with a pair of eu38 shoes, and a collapsed Travel Tray into the front section, plus I had my 3-d cube, two small op, and a travel coffee mug in the front exterior pockets. A stuffed PCBP, empty Synapse and empty large clear op were in the rear compartment.

I would think that a medium Tristar cube and 2 CQPC should fit the front section, or a small pc, 2 CQPC and a thinish (not super rigid or bulky) pair of shoes (definitely soft star) should fit.

Hth

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    OK
    Her is what I did on my Maiden Voyage in the TriStar.

http://forums.tombihn.com/customer-p...-ready-go.html

I don't have any Bihn packing cubes but I have and already had the Eagle Creek models so that is what is in there.
    As you surmise the cubes will slide in and out allowing more ready access to the cubes and contents than when the same things are in the Brain Bag,I tried that too.

Hope this helps

Ed

Leave a comment:

• conejo23
    replied
    One issue I have with the Tri-Star is I'm not sure how it accommodates Clear Quarter Packing Cubes. I REALLY like these things, you can fit an enormous amount of stuff into them and it does a nice job of organizing all that stuff. But I just don't know how they'd fit into the Tri Star. Could I put two of them along with a medium packing cube into the large rear compartment, for example? It's like putting pieces to a puzzle together.

In the divided front compartment I'd like to use the smaller side of it for shoes. What then fits into the other compartment? I know it's designed to accommodate a medium packing cube. I doubt two CQPCs fit into it. Would 1 and a small packing cube fit? If anyone has experience fitting CQPCs into a Tri-Star, I'd love to hear how you do it and where they go.

Leave a comment:

• conejo23
    replied
    Ok, I got my packing cubes to complete a quick test pack. The main thing I wanted to see is how the cubes fit into the Brain Bag and how many clothes I can fit into the packing cubes. What I found was that I could pack all the clothes I needed for a 4 night trip into a large Aeronaut packing cube. Going from memory, that included 4 sets of underwear and socks, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 long sleeve t shirts, 3 short sleeve t shirts, a swimsuit, hat, a polo shirt and a few small misc items. That impressed me. And, I could fit the packing cube into one of the compartments of my Brain Bag with no problem.

Then I had two clear quarter packing cubes I needed to pack. One contained food/nutritional stuff, like small containers with various supplements, baggies with my morning breakfast shake, and some organic food bars. The other had tech items on one side (like chargers, digital camera, travel surge protector, some cables) and non-liquid toiletries on the other. Now on top of the Aeronaut packing cube, a snake charmer would fit perfectly. But I wanted to see if I could get these two cubes to fit, and with a little bit of working them in there, yes, they do. Once I had those 3 things in that compartment, that compartment was now full.

And another note: I could easily fit my 3D Clear Organizer Cube into one of the front side pockets of the Brain Bag.

In the other compartment I had my laptop and my freudian slip. With the other compartment full, you could still fit some other things into the second compartment, but it would be really tight. And moreover, once you did, no way you're pulling the freudian slip out of there or putting it back without first having to take all that stuff out of that compartment.

So, here's my summary from this experiment. Yes, the Brain Bag DOES have enormous capacity, and if I had to, could I use it as my "one bag" for a 4 night/5 day trip? Yes, I could. But do I want to? No, I don't.

When the bag is that loaded down, I just have this sense that I'm trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and that I'm using the wrong tool for the job. The bag grows outward as you stuff it, with the center of gravity moving further and further away from your back. With that much stuff in it, first, there is absolutely zero chance it's fitting under a seat. Second, while it's not necessarily uncomfortable to carry, it feels much less comfortable than when it's just loaded for EDC use. Third, because you're stacking everything vertically, if you want to get at something at the bottom, you have to take out everything above it. And fourth, God help me if I want to buy ANYTHING on my trip to take back home.

The bag has terrific capacity, and I think it would work really well and be much more comfortable for a 1-2 night trip as opposed to a 4 night one. But for a 4 night trip, I just don't think the bag is designed to make efficient use of its space in THAT scenario. There is still theoretical room in the compartment that has the brain cell and slip, but from a practical standpoint it would be very difficult to access.

So, I'm looking at options. If I need to use my Brain Bag AND a second bag, then I might as well just stick with my Tumi rolling carry on. But I suspect that the Tri-Star, while not having the sheer capacity of the Brain Bag, probably makes more efficient use of its space for this kind of packing usage. The space it has is all accessible because of its compartmentalized approach. That's my guess, given that I don't have the bag. From reading and watching written and video reviews of the bag, doesn't seem like you're cramming stuff into deep nooks in the bag. It would be like having a Brain Bag where you could fully unzip each compartment and then pull that compartment away to reveal the other, then be able to lay the bag on its back and just pack each compartment in that manner.

If I could get all my stuff to fit into the Tri-Star so that it was accessible and reasonable to carry and I only needed 1 bag and could leave the Brain Bag at home, then I'd rather do that than bring two bags. So, now I'm debating about ordering a Tri-Star to see how everything fits into that. If it all fits comfortably and is good to carry, I keep it and I've got my solution. If not, then I'd probably want to return it and just stick with the rolling carry on solution.

Decisions decisions........

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Great talking to you, too!

If it works out, I'll get everything packed into it and then show photos of it fully packed, and then maybe a video of me taking everything out of it. Looking forward to seeing how it works out!

OH! A video would be most awesome!

Leave a comment:

• conejo23
    replied
    Great talking to you, too!

If it works out, I'll get everything packed into it and then show photos of it fully packed, and then maybe a video of me taking everything out of it. Looking forward to seeing how it works out!

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied

I've got a serious mancrush on the Tri-Star, but if I can make the Brain Bag work the way I think I can, I just can't justify spending the extra $400 or so to get the Tri-Star with the horizontal brain cell and freudian slip. So I'm gonna order the stuff I need to test out the Brain Bag and then do a complete test pack once it gets here to verify that what I think can work actually will.

It was great talking to you on Friday!

I can't wait to see how it works out! I really think the Brain Bag could work out and I can't wait to see photos of your bag all packed up! .

I can definitely understand your Tri-Star crush. I hardly ever travel but I own one. I needed it!

Leave a comment:

• conejo23
    replied
    SusanM....that is very helpful, thanks!

And beautiful bags, looks like Indigo. I wish they'd bring that color back for more of their bags. Looks so rich and vibrant.

Leave a comment:

• SusanM
    replied
    conejo23: "has anyone flown Southwest with the Tri-Star and been able to fit a reasonably packed one under the seat in front of you?"

I posted this here last year. The photo was taken on a Southwest 737. It shows my Tri-Star and Co-Pilot. http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...edImage2_1.jpg
    Maybe it will help.

Susan
    Last edited by SusanM; 03-26-2012, 02:32 AM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• JLE
    replied
    Thanks for letting me know. I've been worried sick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X