Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LauraA
    replied
    Wow, thanks TevaPeak and Badger for the replies. Yes, Badger, I'd love to see your packing pictures. Thanks! TevaPeak, I'm excited that you are getting your new bag today - sounds wonderful. I know that the navy is really pretty - it's just that when I travel, my clothes are always black. I feel like I would always look like I'm on my way to a funeral. At least my red bag looks a little cheerful! By the way, the Synapse is quite a bit smaller than the Smart Alec, and I would use packing cubes to eliminate that "black hole" thing. Take care, LauraA

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    I have a SA in which I pack clothes. To keep things organized, I use an Eagle Creek 15" packing sleeve, which helps distribute the clothing vertically. Packing cubes can also be stacked vertically from the base of the bag up.

If you can hang on until tomorrow, I will be packing the SA with stuff for an overnight business-casual trip to Chicago, and I can take a few pics so you can see my set-up. Just to give you an idea of what I'm bringing, I've cut-and-pasted my packing list here:

Clothes:
    (I'm wearing my "going to a meeting" outfit because we are driving from Iowa straight to the meeting)
    15" EC packing sleeve with: 2 shirts, socks, chonies, pair of shorts + an outfit and pajamas for Mrs B, who is accompanying me

Electronics:
    15" MBP in third-party sleeve
    iPad
    Charging cable for MBP
    iPhone
    Shure earbuds

Toiletries:
    a little dopp kit with contact cleaner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, moisturizer, etc.

Other:
    Folder with paperwork for meeting, notebook, pen
    Organizer pouches with advil, business cards, eyedrops, and other small things

I expect there to be quite a bit of extra room.

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    Now that I've seen your packing list, I bet you could live out of a Synapse for domestic travel! ;-) Smart Alec has capacity, but it does that "black hole" thing for me. (I hope the Smart Alec folks will chime in, because there are some big fans out there.)

You might look at Synapse - some people do use it as a solo bag. It is rumored to have supernatural powers. About a navy Western Flyer - I'm tellin' ya, that navy is so rich and dimensional. My navy Synapse arrives today. (yippee!) I'll report back.

Leave a comment:

• LauraA
    started a topic Smart Alec or Western Flyer

Smart Alec or Western Flyer

Hi all, I posted in the review section about choosing between the Tri-Star and the Brain Bag on a very long trip. Those are the two bags that I already own (well, until I gave the brain bag to my daughter yesterday). Anyway, everyone really helped my decide. I used to use the Brain Bag for trips to Tanzania where I work for a month each year, and always used the Tri-Star for other trips. I got great advice, actually practice packed, and found that the try-star was more comfortable and easier to live out of. In Tanzania I unpack totally, put the bag away, and don't live out of it. I use packing cubes always. Now that I've given one bag away, I want to get a slightly smaller bag for domestic trips. I've been traveling light for several years, and have it down to a science. I wanted the Western Flyer, but agree with White Star who just posted about colors of shop bags - color is really important to me! I can't really see myself with a black or Navy Western Flyer, when I'm so used to the cardinal/steel Tri-Star that I love! Does anyone use the Smart Alec for clothing? It has the same capacity as the Western Flyer, but most reviews talk about it being used for computers, etc. I just want to buy one bag, slightly smaller than the Tri Star for short trips. Thanks, LauraA
Working...
X