Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,277   Members: 6,719   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, tinacap77.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bag for 10 days in London/Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eire
    replied
    Ireland has an excellent public transportation system and to get the best use of it you will benefit from packing light and using a bag you can use as a backpack. Tom Bihn has several that will work. I also support the nods for Aer Lingus. To me they represent one of the last holdouts from the golden age of flying. Better comforts, food, and attitudes. It's not like flying in a greyhound bus as most air travel has become.

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Yay! Good for you! I think you will find that you really didnt need all that extra stuff and it is such a lovely feeling to walk off the plane and out of the airport while everyone else waits for their bag.

Leave a comment:

• pegolas
    replied
    I'm going carry-on only. I'm keeping my almost-new convertible (18"x13"x8") and taking my Smart Alec as my personal item (it needs to hurry up and get here!

I just need to make sure to be very particular about what needs to go in my bag this time. I don't want to have to wait for my luggage in Heathrow! I'm better prepared this time, so I'm confident my bag won't be as heavy as the last time I did carry-on only.

Leave a comment:

• tdivcr
    replied
    Pegolas, I just did 15 days in and around London on business with an Aeronaut and Brainbag during the second half of June. I overpacked a bit, but was able to do it with a bit of hotel room washing in the evenings. Most of my clothes were casual business-button-down shirts, khakis and other neutral colored pants-so I was not able to go the lightest as I would on vacation. I also lugged a work computer and a personal netbook, so the Brainbag was very handy. And the weather ranged from warm to very cool and rainy, requiring a light shell with a sweater at times.

The combination was a bit unwieldy at times running through Madrid airport for a connection, but I could probably run faster than with a roller suitcase. It was useful for the several train connections in the UK. Just pop it on the shoulders and hoist it up on the overhead rack. Easier to move in the aisles that with a roller suitcase.

October weather is a bit dicey there, as you probably know. It can be very damp and cool, so you need your layers. One option would be to pack the Aeronaut and put it inside a simple medium duffle bag as a check-in. REI has good ones. You only need to lock one zipper. When you get there, you can one bag it while touring around, putting the duffle bag inside the Aeronaut.

Too many people get hung up on the one-bag concept. I've learned not to sweat it too much for long trips and business travel; the key is being agile when you get on the ground. I've only had one suitcase delayed, but I had enough in a carry on to survive a couple of days without it.

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    I third (or fifth) the western flyer. I have done 21/2 weeks in spain with only the wf and still had enuf space for purchases. It is ver comfy as a backpack. You should be able to pack for 10 days at under 15 lb easily. Read the forums for suggestions for clothes and lightweight tech stuff such as chargers. I bought a tristar but found it too big and too easy to overpack so i gave it to my sil who is taller and more athletic.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Trust us -- I think you should be just fine with your Western Flyer and not use the Ego.

I don't remember if Ryanair will let you take a Western Flyer *AND* a Medium Cafe Bag both. If they do, you're all set. If not, put the contents you plan to normally carry in your MCB throughout the inside of your WF (for example, use the WF's front pockets). Here's another secret. Say you decide to get the backpack version. The entire back panel that zips up and hides your backpack straps? That serves as another huge hideaway pocket -- so stash your MCB contents in there. If you have some room, you might even be able to stuff the MCB in there with stuff in there. Then just carry the WF with a shoulder strap when you get on the plane!

Your other friend to consider is a ScottEVest. You can stuff a lot of your everyday carryables into your pockets when you get on the plane.

Leave a comment:

• notmensa
    replied
    Hi pegolas,
    I second and third the suggestion to fly Aer Lingus. I've taken three trips with them in the last few months - DUB-GVA-DUB and LHR-DUB. My two flights into Dublin were full. As we were waiting, they made numerous announcements about the flights being full and only accepting one carry-on bag. On both flights I had a similar set up set up to you - Tri-star-sized bag + small briefcase. After panicking a bit, and looking around at others at the gate, I realised that their main concern was with people bringing rolling luggage that didn't fit in the sizer as well as two or three other bags eg backpacks. At the gate I transferred as much as I could into the larger bag so the briefcase didn't look too bulky, but to be honest they didn't even look twice as I boarded.

Also, you mentioned the rain in your post. I've bought myself a Sea to Summit pack cover that fits over my WF. It wasn't expensive - maybe $25? - and it packs up really small. I find that it, plus the umbrella, is a good enough combo for city-based travel.

Leave a comment:

• pegolas
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    If you can manage Aer Lingus, you'll be much happier. The cabin comforts are way better than what you'd get on RyanAir, and I believe they still give you gin, even in economy. Oh, and as the others have said, their baggage restrictions are looser.

Okay, on to the packing. I think that if you have access to laundry facilities, you could definitely manage an October trip to your chosen locations with a Western Flyer. You haven't said what activities you'll be doing, but since it's London and Dublin and not Devonshire and Wicklow, I'm assuming that you will be living a blissful urban existence that includes museums, pubs, sightseeing and perhaps some nightlife. For this sort of travel, it's important to look smart, but that doesn't have to be a big deal. The most vital thing is waterproof footwear in some sort of dark color (OK, black). You can manage a lot when your feet are dry. In terms of clothing, Frank is right. Layer. And if you're in doubt, don't pack it, since you were planning on shopping over there anyway.

What I'd try to do is fit all your clothes into a large WF packing cube in the main compartment, and to pack an empty MCB in the main compartment as well. Put your toiletries in one section of the front compartment, and all your electronics and MCB crap in the other section (maybe in a cube so you can just lift it all out for easy under-seat access). If you must have an extra pair of shoes, choose flat ones, wrap them in a plastic bag, and put them in the MCB.
    Badger, after reading your packing list (at a mere 12lbs) for several weeks, I really think I can do this! My packing list will vary from yours (an extra pair of pants + a spare pair of shoes), but my camera is pocket-sized, so it kind of balances out. I think I'm going to go with the Tri-Star, so that I'll have the extra middle section as a buffer in case I go crazy with my shopping. Of course, I'm in love with the blue (Indigo?) that appears to no longer be an option.

Thanks everybody for the assistance! I can't wait to get me some new bags (just gotta wait for my bonus pay which comes tomorrow!).

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    If you can manage Aer Lingus, you'll be much happier. The cabin comforts are way better than what you'd get on RyanAir, and I believe they still give you gin, even in economy. Oh, and as the others have said, their baggage restrictions are looser.

Okay, on to the packing. I think that if you have access to laundry facilities, you could definitely manage an October trip to your chosen locations with a Western Flyer. You haven't said what activities you'll be doing, but since it's London and Dublin and not Devonshire and Wicklow, I'm assuming that you will be living a blissful urban existence that includes museums, pubs, sightseeing and perhaps some nightlife. For this sort of travel, it's important to look smart, but that doesn't have to be a big deal. The most vital thing is waterproof footwear in some sort of dark color (OK, black). You can manage a lot when your feet are dry. In terms of clothing, Frank is right. Layer. And if you're in doubt, don't pack it, since you were planning on shopping over there anyway.

What I'd try to do is fit all your clothes into a large WF packing cube in the main compartment, and to pack an empty MCB in the main compartment as well. Put your toiletries in one section of the front compartment, and all your electronics and MCB crap in the other section (maybe in a cube so you can just lift it all out for easy under-seat access). If you must have an extra pair of shoes, choose flat ones, wrap them in a plastic bag, and put them in the MCB.

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    More on your flights as London has a lot of little quirks:

1) Also check out British Airways
    2) Look at FINAL cost not just "the fare."
    3) Consider the cost of getting to the airport. It costs more to get to the more outerlying airports than Heathrow or Gatwick.
    4) Consider the extra cost if you have to check a bag over being able to carry it on. With Ryanair you'll have to check a bag. You should be able to carry-on with the other two.

So, you see, just going by fare alone is misleading.

Leave a comment:

• pegolas
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions. The ryanair ticket is the ONLY one I haven't purchased yet, so I'll def look into Aer Lingus.

I actually did think about getting the TS, and leaving the middle section empty so that I could add my London finds on my return. I gravitated toward the WF, because it's smaller and compact (LIKE ME!) and it only weighs like 2 1/2 lbs. I saw someone post a packing list for the TS and it was like 19lbs for what didn't seem to be that much packed inside. That's too heavy for me for this particular journey.

I also like the Synapse idea, but plan to carry the WF on my back, so I wanted something with a shoulder strap that I could change back and forth. Needless to say, I am still confused. I think I'm just gonna order the WF, see how much I can get into it, and go from there. Or maybe I'll get the Tristar.

Or maybe I should just call customer service, give them my cc#, tell them to send what they think is appropriate, and then be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks everybody!

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    Originally posted by snowbot View Post
    Jeffmac is right. You're like Darcy with your teasing.
    No one is like Darcy. She's in a league all her own!!!!!

My secret:

http://www.theupsstore.com/logistics...gage-logistics

The Luggage Box. The smaller one, of course. The dimensions given are the outside measurements. The internal ones are slightly less. (20.5 x 14 x 9)

If I can close the box with my bag inside, I know I should be okay on most airlines. (Although I need to have some extra room with the smaller measurement for non-U.S. airlines.)

Since the box has to be put together, one might also draw a line where the 8" limit would be to help. And yes, I bought this box specifically to act as a sizer and not to actually ship anything. I had to try six UPS stores near me before I found one.

Yes, I know, I'm too into this stuff. I think I need a 12 step program--Travel Goods Anonymous.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Have to second Ed on the Synapse suggestion, and if you go with the Dyneema version it is lighter and squishes smaller in the other piece of luggage.

I have a TS and I can overpack it. When I took it for an 8 day trip it was right at 21 pounds. Even with backpack straps (and the TB ones work better than most) that is a lot of weight to carry for an extended period.

I also have to agree with Frank (although, I am guilty of not following that advice sometimes!) and packing less is preferred. If you did go with the TS, and you picked up stuff along the way you could stuff it in there. Or if you started with the WF and a marsupial bag (MCB or synapse) inside of it you could transition to two bags on the way home...

I am not helping at all am I?

Leave a comment:

• snowbot
    replied
    Jeffmac is right. You're like Darcy with your teasing.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank II View Post
    (I have a 20" sizer at home--don't ask--and I've fit my Aeronaut into that prior to a trip. )
    Frank,

You realize that this just makes me want the story even more on this don't you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X