Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,825   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 297
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a Co-Pilot as a purse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dorayme
    replied
    yes, seems like we have to grab a free moment when we can!

Leave a comment:

• Tlacltme
    replied
    Just a quick note- I got a kick outta we moms of young kids rockin the forums at 1 am! Tee hee! In between loads of laundry and washing the kitchen floor for me

Leave a comment:

• Tlacltme
    replied
    Originally posted by dorayme View Post
    oh Tlacltme, Rocky says the same thing. Even though he does get it now. He's seen how well they are made, but he still picks on me for my bag herd (or hoard depending on who you ask).

My latest strategy is that I've shifted to buying them for the kids and as gifts. . . He can't argue against that. I want to make the most of our shipping costs so if I add in one or two for me on the order it's actually saving us money! just kidding

Hehe. I love this! I do the same thing

And as far as having duplicates of the same bag, isn't it recommended in building your wardrobe that if you find something that works for you and flatters to buy one in every color? ;-}

I have a rainbow of Shop Bags and Large Shop Bags but I actually use them all. We shop for groceries once a week or maybe a little less frequently, on a trip that includes non food items like toilet paper and dog food, I use them all. As my kids grow, thats only getting worse as I'm sure you could tell me. . .

The Little Swift just works for me as a handbag. I havent found an equal. I've tried many over the years with varying styles, materials, makes, etc. My love of bags and shoes should make me want to have many handbags, but I don't. The LS is it for me. I need to get the others I own out because I don't use them.
    Yes, I need to do the same with my non-TB bags that I no longer use or really like anymore! I wish the Little Swift were the only it for me Instead, I seem to enjoy the variety life: the various styles and colors. I change my EDC at least weekly. Some weeks it's the Synapse. Others, the LCB. Or the Co-Pilot. Or the LS, though it's actually a perfect fit for me, and I prefer having extra room as it seems someone, ahem, is always having me "quick hold" this or that...hence my eyeing Hollie's cork Swift. I also find that it depends on the season- now that it's fall, I like to having space to throw an extra sweatshirt for the baby. During the summer I found I was using the Co-Pilot and LCB more because my kids play a lot of baseball and soccer and so I liked being able to hang my EDC on the back of the stroller.

Leave a comment:

• Tlacltme
    replied
    Originally posted by Hollie View Post
    Oh dear. So, Dorayme had mentioned that she wan't a big fan of Dyneema until she got her first Shop bag. I guessed that the Shop bags were for shopping (the name is a clue), and I have a ton of those canvas bags so I didn't even bother to go look at what she was talking about. Until just now.

Oh my gosh, how useful! With the side pockets for bottles and such! And if the straps are as much like the Swift as they look, the Shop bag is surely insanely comfortable to wear.

BAS. BAS. BAS.
    Hollie, not to facilitate your BAS but the shop bags are FABULOUS. They, like many TB products, far exceeded my expectations. I thought they would be a dyneema version of, y'know, the grocery store "green bag." Not so. The shoulder straps. The o rings and key straps. The side pockets. I was so impressed. I actually don't use them (I have 2) for groceries because, well, there are 10 of us and I'd need about 25 large shop bags for my trips. But they are great for errands: mail this package, return these library books, drop off snacks, etc. I've also been using one as a gym bag and it's PERFECT for me in that capacity. They also make great gifts! I've given them to some of my sisters and friends.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    Oh my gosh, how useful! With the side pockets for bottles and such! And if the straps are as much like the Swift as they look, the Shop bag is surely insanely comfortable to wear.
    Yeah. Sorry. I cannot hide my affinity for Tom Bihn products.

I had a plethora of canvas bags and even worse, those non woven bags that you can buy at the register for a buck or two. . . Shop Bags are to those what a canvas bag is to a Plastic T-shirt bag.

Stronger
    Comfortable
    Multipurpose
    Organizable
    Pretty
    Functional
    Longer life
    Easier to keep clean

And there's more but I'm too tired at 2 am to think of them. Try one. You'll see. Just add it into your co-pilot order. . . Or if you have the time, just swing by the factory and check it out in person.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    Originally posted by Tlacltme View Post
    "I just don't get why you want ANOTHER bag"....tee hee!
    oh Tlacltme, Rocky says the same thing. Even though he does get it now. He's seen how well they are made, but he still picks on me for my bag herd (or hoard depending on who you ask).

My latest strategy is that I've shifted to buying them for the kids and as gifts. . . He can't argue against that. I want to make the most of our shipping costs so if I add in one or two for me on the order it's actually saving us money! just kidding

And as far as having duplicates of the same bag, isn't it recommended in building your wardrobe that if you find something that works for you and flatters to buy one in every color? ;-}

I have a rainbow of Shop Bags and Large Shop Bags but I actually use them all. We shop for groceries once a week or maybe a little less frequently, on a trip that includes non food items like toilet paper and dog food, I use them all. As my kids grow, thats only getting worse as I'm sure you could tell me. . .

The Little Swift just works for me as a handbag. I havent found an equal. I've tried many over the years with varying styles, materials, makes, etc. My love of bags and shoes should make me want to have many handbags, but I don't. The LS is it for me. I need to get the others I own out because I don't use them.

I have 3 LS and if the right color for me comes along, I will buy another. I don't wear the same clothes everyday, but I'm perfectly fine having a handbag uniform. It keeps me organized, and there is comfort in the familiar. This is one area that actually has been a savings. By not having an appetite for expensive designer handbags, especially the disposable varieties (either in quality or in fadish style) my reasonable purchase will outlive alternatives and the cost can be spread out over time.

I'm still wearing Birkenstocks I wore 20 years ago in college because of these same principles. . . The other shoes have long since gone by the wayside due to fashion, comfort, wear or poor construction, but my Birks are going strong.

Leave a comment:

• Hollie
    replied
    Oh dear. So, Dorayme had mentioned that she wan't a big fan of Dyneema until she got her first Shop bag. I guessed that the Shop bags were for shopping (the name is a clue), and I have a ton of those canvas bags so I didn't even bother to go look at what she was talking about. Until just now.

BAS. BAS. BAS.

Leave a comment:

• Tlacltme
    replied
    I too wasn't a big fan of the Dyneema as anything other than a liner- at first, but after purchasing the PCSB at the last minute before a trip, and having it work so wonderfully...and then purchasing a couple of Shop Bags....well, it's really grown on me as well. I still don't know that I'd purchase a Synapse or Co-pilot with a Dyneema exterior, but then again, who knows?!

The black/UV is a great combo. A black/UV Synapse was my first TB family member. It blew me away! I still really like it, however, Navy/Iberian is my MUST-HAVE combo. In fact, when the Synapse was later offered in Navy/Iberian, I snapped it up...even though I already had one in black/UV Sad, eh?! I still use 'em both though To my hubby's dismay, I like to mix up my bags...frequently! Different colors, different styles At least it makes holidays easy for him ("Hey honey, what bag do you want for your birthday?")....the funniest part (to me!) is that he STILL likes to shake his head and say "I just don't get why you want ANOTHER bag"....tee hee!

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    My personal solution is to buy all fabric choices when it's an option vs. the clear items. It was novel at first to have clear for organization purposes, but now I use the color, texture and size to know what the contents are. Still, I wonder if the all fabric quarter cube and 3d cube that were proposed on the whishlist will be considered. . . All Dyneema pockets in the swifts would also be nice.
    I so wish I could buy the 3D organizer pouch in non-clear all Dyneema! I'd also love LOVE a Dyneema Side Effect.

On my wish list, since it doesn't even require designing a brand new design. #sigh.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Love Dyneema, love it in Steel, absolutely breathtaking in UV.

Regular nylon is the epidomy of casual, mass produced, low quality stuff.

But Dyneema that's another story, it is lightweight and strong, can be casual and dressed up and it is a lifesaver for packing and organizing.
    That I already knew.

A couple of days ago, I moved the content of my Large Cafe Bag onto my UV Dyneema Synapse and UV Dyneema Large Shop Bag for things that needed quick retrival.

I had to walk a hilly terrain, on an empty stomach, in 88 degree weather and... I enjoyed it! Thanks to my UV Dyneema beauties.

I have grown quite fond of the pair during the summer, canicular weather and light fabric go together wonderfully.

Because most of my errands trips were in a car, in the evening when it had cool down to less than the mid hundreds to high nineties, I could afford to bring my beautiful Plum Large Cafe Bag in addition to the Synapse and Large Shop Bag.

I knew that it would be too much for public transport and was nervous about finding a solution.

Thanks to the wonderful O rings on the Large Shop Bag, I can transfert my trusty Pouches from the Large Cafe Bag and keep my organization intact and essential things within reach.

It should be noted that most of my Pouches are Clear and I have never had any problem with stickiness in any of my Swifts or between Pouches and between Pouches and Stuff Sacks, all of which have a Clear Bottom because most of them are Steel and I need to find out fast, if the Steel Stuff Sack I am grabbing is the one holding my mobile needlework project.

It might be due to the fact that I pack loose in contrast to Dorayme and Maverick who pack their bags very tightly in the most organized and streamlined way possible in a way I can only dream of.

If I tried to pack that way, Mr Bean and Inpector Closeau situation would arise at the most innapropriate moment.

I am truly fond of all my Tom Bihn Inc bags but I am very happy that I share a great fondness for the Synapse with many of TB forum members.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gochicken
    replied
    Well the really dorky thing is that I sort of feel like I'm cheating on my Synapse by getting the Co-Pilot.
    Black/UV is THE combination for me also!!! I bought the Synapse mostly because it was the only bag at the time in that color combination, even though I was sure I really didn't need it. It has proved to be most versatile and now I wonder how I ever got along without it. Enter the Black/UV Co-Pilot...... I didn't really need this bag either, but it came in Black/UV and so I caved (with a little help form Dorayme's glowing endorsements). I think of it as my Non-Backpack Synapse. It's so perfect for traveling, it keeps me so organized, it's just the right size (small, but holds a lot!), and it's so lovely in versatile black on the outside, pretty UV on the inside.

I think of my Co-Pilot as a brother or cousin to my Synapse. After all they are the only two Black/UV bags available, and they really do perfectly compliment each other, allowing me to be more organized in more areas of my life on the go, whether at home or traveling, looking business-like or casual.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    I'm really starting to understand Bihn Acquisition Syndrome!
    That BAS will sneak up on you. . . We all want to find better ways to carry our stuff, be organized and look great. All of those can be accomplished with a great bag! Once you actually have one in your hands, feel the quality, functionality, craftsmanship and see the colors and textures in real life, it's easy to see solutions in other areas of our lives being filled in a similar manner. At least it has been for me.

Enjoy your new Co-Pilot, they have been called the messenger bag version of the Synapse because of the front organizer panel. Like other Tom Bihn bags they also have the built in black hole technology, they appear pretty small outwardly, but on the inside they hold a ton. Black/UV is a gorgeous combo.

Leave a comment:

• Hollie
    replied
    The all Dyneema versions are very packable, but the piping that is sewn in gives them body enough to stand on their own. They are also extremely light, and as you have observed, the fabric is slick.

I understand your sentiments on all Dyneema bags, at first I wasn't a fan either. Then I got my first shop bag. The rest is history. I really like Dyneema as an exterior fabric now. Fwiw, though I like the all Dyneema co-pilots, I chose steel ballistic /uv Dyneema. I wanted to use my co-pilot as a micro briefcase. I preferred the ballistic exterior for that "look".

If I were carrying it as a purse, I would possibly prefer Dyneema, because to me the Dyneema ones look less like luggage/briefcases.

Isn't it funny! I wonder how many other people didn't like the Dyneema at first, but then it grew on them? I love it now.

I'm getting the Black/UV now for the purse idea, but with full knowledge that if the new Co-Pilots come out with some great Dyneema color (especially if that color is the Ultraviolet), I'll probably switch it up to the Dyneema and use the Black/UV one for an organizing travel bag. For now I think the Black/UV will work, since I'm 5'9" and can make any bag look petite.

I'm really starting to understand Bihn Acquisition Syndrome!

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    Heynurse, yes, the clear urethane is sticky. Where it bothers me the most is when one of my clear OP, clear cubes, or clear bottomed yarn stuff sacks come into contact with my Swift or Little Swift pockets. I've learned to turn the fabric side of one towards the other clear surfaceof the other to prevent sticking.

For a while, Tom had a slightly "cloudy" urethane vs. the crystal clear they are using now. It wasn't sticky, but it also wasn't as aesthetically pleasing. I have some, and personally didn't mind the look (kind of like powder was inside the pouch) because of the property of not sticking to itself, but in the end that isn't the fabric that is being used, so there is a reason why, and I live with it.

My personal solution is to buy all fabric choices when it's an option vs. the clear items. It was novel at first to have clear for organization purposes, but now I use the color, texture and size to know what the contents are. Still, I wonder if the all fabric quarter cube and 3d cube that were proposed on the whishlist will be considered. . . All Dyneema pockets in the swifts would also be nice.
    Last edited by dorayme; 09-09-2012, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    replied
    I've used the Co-Pilot as a purse of sorts. Since I'm quite short, it does look more like a briefcase on me than a purse!

I have the Black Ballistic with Steel Dyneema version -- I wish Ultraviolet had existed when I bought my Co-Pilot, because I want the Black/Ultraviolet one so much! If anyone ever wants to trade . . .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X