Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,676   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help for the decision: ego or super ego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bartleby
    replied
    Originally posted by karlimann View Post
    oh, a German moderator! Servus :-) (Ja, bin aus Franken).
    Great wine region! I am from Baden (another great wine region)

Unfortunately there is still no German reseller
    Yes, that‘s too bad....

And I think you all know chase Reeves on youtube.
    I absolute love his reviews! No matter what he reviews it‘s always great fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• karlimann
    replied
    oh, a German moderator! Servus :-) (Ja, bin aus Franken).

thanks for your hints. So I think I'm going to take a further look at the Synapse 19. Unfortunately there is still no German reseller, so I can't take a look at the bag before buying.

And the thing is: there are at the moment so many backpacks outside, so that is very hard to choose one. At the moment I use a peak design bag. That's a great bag, no question, but for daily use without a camera not so useful. But when I'm on a photo tour, nothing beats the peak design. So I need another backpack for daily use. And I think you all know chase Reeves on youtube. Again, there are a lot of bags outside.
    Last edited by karlimann; 07-01-2019, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bartleby
    replied
    Oh, a fellow German, welcome back!

I only have a Synapse 25 but the DNA is the same as the Synapse 19. I really like the great organization especially for all the small things you want to have with you every day. The Luminary 15 has less organisation as it just has three small pockets (one of them inside). On the other hand, a clear advantage of the Luminary is the padded compartment for a small laptop or a tablet.

Leave a comment:

• aedifica
    replied
    A Luminary 15 would certainly hold all of that, but if you like the Synapse's looks better (and all its pockets) then the Synapse 19 would be a better bag for you!

Leave a comment:

• karlimann
    replied
    Willkommen zurück is ok :-).

For a daily use I need not that much: iPad 12,9, some ink pens, big wallet, some airpods, iphone, my "taschenbegleiter" and some other small things. But from time to time I carry my 13" MacBook. I think at the moment that the Synapse 19 is the best solution.

Leave a comment:

• aedifica
    replied
    Welcome back, Karl! (Sagt man "Willkommen zurück"?) What do you plan to carry in a backpack? Maybe we can help you narrow down your choice.

It is impressive that your Ego from so long ago is still in such good condition! That's something I really appreciate about TB bags.

Leave a comment:

• karlimann
    replied
    I'm back! :-).

Almost 9 years later, and almost nothing has changed. I still don't know which Tom Bihn Bag I should buy. After all these years I don't use messenger bags very often, I changed to a more Rucksack-Guy. But I still own my Ego from 2012. This is really impressing how good that was made, because after a little cleaning the bag looks like almost new. But, as I said, I don't use it any more. Now I'm looking for a bag back as a daily carry, and I not sure, 19 or 25l Synapse. Or even the luminary 15? I think that the Synapse looks better. But is it more comfortable for daily use? I have to watch the review from chase another time. And think about it for a while, but summer is coming, ahh, is here!

Karl

Leave a comment:

• rlandis
    replied
    as per ups tracking the ego arrived today at home.

But unfortunately I'm not at home the whole week, because of SAP stuff.

Oh my god, how should I survice these hard times....
    How did you make out with your Ego??

Leave a comment:

• karlimann
    replied
    as per ups tracking the ego arrived today at home.

But unfortunately I'm not at home the whole week, because of SAP stuff.

Oh my god, how should I survice these hard times....

Leave a comment:

• phillyfan
    replied
    I've carried on my Brain Bag with my Aeronaut (US flights), so I doubt that the Super Ego would be a problem. Although I've not done it, the Brain Bag is (and in my opinion) looks big than the Super Ego. It might also depend on how full you pack the bags.

Leave a comment:

• rlandis
    replied
    I just ordered the Super Ego today. I'm curious--on a domestic flight, where I'm allowed a carryon, and a personal item, will I be able to board with an Aeronaut, and a Super Ego??

Leave a comment:

• phillyfan
    replied
    I think you made the right decision. I carry most of the stuff you listed back and forth to work each day. I have both an Ego and Super Ego and only use the Ego for that purpose. The Super Ego is much larger - I use it more for extended travel, but not as an everyday bag. I do have the Brain Cell and love it (I also have a 15" MBP).

Leave a comment:

• lonestar6
    replied
    So, after all I ordered a few minutes ago a Ego.

I hope it will arrive next week.

Karl
    Congratulations Karl.
    While you are waiting for your new Ego to arrive you might enjoy/ find solace in this thread :
    http://forums.tombihn.com/showthread.php?t=1855

BAS is definitely a #firstworldproblem, but you are susceptible to this particularly when waiting for a package to arrive!

Leave a comment:

• karlimann
    replied
    So, after all I ordered a few minutes ago a Ego.

I hope it will arrive next week.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by rlandis View Post
    How about for this list?

MBP 15.4 in brain cell
    ipad 2 in cache
    Bose noise cancelling headphones in it's case
    Large Moleskin
    Lumix Camera (small point and shoot)
    various cables, chargers, pwr supply
    MAYBE a Freudian Slip (depending on the amount of pockets--I've never seen an Ego, or S Ego)
    enough room for a couple of doodads from time to time--small umbrella, book, a couple of CD's

waddya think?
    I think that would be a full load for the Ego, but I do think it could fit everything you've listed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X