Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,173   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Brain bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F650GS
    replied
    I tried to make a post earlier but it would not go through. Sorry if this response comes through twice. I have a MCB, copilot, Tristar, and Zephyr. So I am a fan of TB products. However, I think the Zephyr and Tristar has worked so well for me because it was more structured with compartments, pockets, etc. The Aeronaut is a great bag but its more open format would not have worked as well for me. The SA appears to me in IMHO more like the Aero. Pockets and some built in organization but a large open main compartment. There is room for a Brain Cell which I do not use and lots of hooks for pouches. I have a few pouches but I am not a huge utilizer of them. It is just not the way I tend to pack and I generally only use one at a time. The SA is a very nice bag like all TB products. But in the end it was redundant to an existing large backpack I have had for years that is still in good shape. I made the terrible mistake of not paying attention on my mobile device when I ordered it and somehow I ended up with 2 day delivery. My fault I know but it meant that I was really motivated to try and like this bag since all the shipping here and now back will eat into a lot of what I will get back but it just doesn't work for what I need. I will say is larger than I thought and something more streamlined is what I am looking for. The design is streamlined but it is a substantial bag and I can see why people like it.

Leave a comment:

• pw1224
    replied
    Out of curiosity, how was the Smart Alec not quite your thing? I'm on the fence about the layout of the SA, myself.

Leave a comment:

• F650GS
    replied
    Thanks folks for the advice. I did purchase a Smart Alec and it came today. I have a bag similar in size to the Brain Bag it just does not compress down. In the end I felt the Brain Bag was too similar to that one which I use for travel. The SA isn't going to work out. Nice bag just not my thing and I really wanted to like it. Oh we'll not even TB can have the right bag for every use. Maybe my next job will involve a car commute and I can recycle my zephyr.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by tbessie View Post
    Hee! That describes what I do exactly! Many's the time I've felt like a penguin.
    Well I am a big public transport user and advocate so I had to learn the penguin hold when I was living in rainy, snowy places.
    I learned it with non-Tom Bihn bags which gave me some serious discomfort but with my Brain Bag, it is a breeze.

My husband and I love our Brain Bags, they are great for domestic (U.S) plane travel, workhorses during car travel, lifesavers during moves, great classroom bags (which involved many heavy books) and wonders on metro, trains and shuttles.

We got ours in 06, they have been through so many trips, in freezing cold and burning hot temperatures, shuffled in airport lines and piled up in the car... and they look like new.

Before I got them, travel was difficult but now, it is much easier, in a dealing with my stuff so it is not interfering with my travel enjoyment kind of way.

I know I sound very much like a fan girl but it feels so nice to have beautiful travel and everyday bags which are so easy to live with, one forgets about them, well... until I come on this forum.

Now what kind of penguin are you?

Thanks to you I went to Wikipedia and found out about new penguin species I knew nothing about.

Leave a comment:

• tbessie
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    The Brain Bag is not large for medium sized people, it depends on the length of one's torso.

Cinched up, the Brain Bag looks really slim, it is a workhorse and with the addition of a Brain Cell will make carry your heavy windows machine easy.

I carried 2 iBooks in it which are fairly heavy, decade old, notebooks.

To protect it when you put it down you could try the penguin egg carry, place the bag on top of feet, squeezing the shoulder straps between calves.
    This way both hands are free to hold on, you can still shuffle (penguin style) and good luck for any pickpocket to try dislodging it from your grip.
    When it is time to leave, grab the top handle get out, put the Brain Bag back on and you are on your way.
    Hee! That describes what I do exactly! Many's the time I've felt like a penguin.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    The Brain Bag is not large for medium sized people, it depends on the length of one's torso.

Cinched up, the Brain Bag looks really slim, it is a workhorse and with the addition of a Brain Cell will make carry your heavy windows machine easy.

I carried 2 iBooks in it which are fairly heavy, decade old, notebooks.

To protect it when you put it down you could try the penguin egg carry, place the bag on top of feet, squeezing the shoulder straps between calves.
    This way both hands are free to hold on, you can still shuffle (penguin style) and good luck for any pickpocket to try dislodging it from your grip.
    When it is time to leave, grab the top handle get out, put the Brain Bag back on and you are on your way.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kjm3579
    replied
    I would also vote for the SA -- I have the newest version with a size 5 brain cell in it for my netbook -- I seems to ride closer to your back but is wider arm to arm than the Synapse is -- I can carry more with more comfort in the SA than the Synapse -- I have only seen a Brain Bag once and it seemed very large compared to the SA and the Synapse.

Leave a comment:

• dichroic
    replied
    FIxed - thanks

Leave a comment:

• tbessie
    replied
    Originally posted by dichroic View Post
    The other nice thing about the SA for a train ride is that, with only two external pickets whose zippers face toward your body, it is not a terribly easy bag to pickpocket.
    Hey! None of MY bags have external pickets!

Leave a comment:

• dichroic
    replied
    The other nice thing about the SA for a train ride is that, with only two external pockets whose zippers face toward your body, it is not a terribly easy bag to pickpocket.
    Last edited by dichroic; 11-21-2012, 11:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tdivcr
    replied
    I've been using mine for about 3 years or so, not for daily commuting, but on a few trips around Manhattan crammed on NYC subways and airport buses and trains. I follow tbessies's method of putting it between my legs, if not on the ground, then kind of suspended between my feet. Even with a Braincell inside it can be fairly bulky and elicit those piercing stares of NY subway commuters.

Leave a comment:

• tbessie
    replied
    Originally posted by F650GS View Post
    Thanks tbessie! I live in Boston and with winter coming I am hesitant to have it on the floor with all the water and salt. I am sure the bag can take it but I don't want to throw the bag on at my destination and have the dirt transfer to my jacket. I used to commute by T and learned this the hard way.
    I guess it's a bit less messy in our San Francisco subways. I lived in Boston years ago, but can't remember what the floors in the T were like - I was mostly on the Red Line.

- Tim

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I keep my Brain Bag on when I use Metro from airports to downtowns or hotels. If you cinch it tightly, it is not that big, with the waist strap on it fits tightly close to your torso, much like a Synapse does, just longer.

Try to get yourself close to the door opposite the one that open to the platform.

Leave a comment:

• nsh
    replied
    I live in Boston too and would not recommend placing the bag on the floor- it does get quite mucky on the floors during the winter...maybe the Smart Alec? It seems sleeker than the Brain Bag but might be easier to keep on your back while on the T. Good luck with the new job and the bag hunt!!

Leave a comment:

• F650GS
    replied
    Originally posted by tbessie View Post
    I take mine on the subway, and I position it on the ground between my legs. If you don't mind doing that, it works well.
    Thanks tbessie! I live in Boston and with winter coming I am hesitant to have it on the floor with all the water and salt. I am sure the bag can take it but I don't want to throw the bag on at my destination and have the dirt transfer to my jacket. I used to commute by T and learned this the hard way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X