Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,800   Members: 6,896   Active Members: 242
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Flyer internal pockets what?!?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Western Flyer internal pockets what?!?

    [OK first of all, my apologies for not being around much this past month. As an excuse, I ran two half-marathons (one in Orlando, the other in Anaheim), a local 10K race, and I am getting ready to go on a week-long cruise in 2 weeks after which I will be running another half-marathon before coming home... so I've been a little busy. The GOOD part about all this, besides getting in good physical shape, is that I've been doing all my traveling with Tom Bihn gear to great success! Woo hoo.]

    I was perusing the Western Flyer description page when I came across the following photo in its gallery:



    HARK!!!! None of the Western Flyers I have personally ever seen have had these two sewn-in pockets in the back section!!!! Is this something that's only available in the newer models? I don't have one on my Nordic Dyneema Western Flyer, though.

    ...or could it be a feature only available on the version that you can use with a rolling upright?!?!?

    Enquiring minds MUST KNOW!!

    #2
    Originally posted by Lani View Post
    Is this something that's only available in the newer models? I don't have one on my Nordic Dyneema Western Flyer, though.

    ...or could it be a feature only available on the version that you can use with a rolling upright?!?!?

    Enquiring minds MUST KNOW!!
    Didn't you see the super secret dropdown option only visible with x-ray specs?

    It's only available on the rolling luggage sleeve version :-( Our backpack strap version takes up too much space, I suppose.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by lotuseater View Post
      It's only available on the rolling luggage sleeve version :-( Our backpack strap version takes up too much space, I suppose.
      Oooooo... wow, that makes it tough to decide!! Thanks for clueing me in!

      Comment


        #4
        @Lani, the rolling luggage pocket model is also noticeably lighter than the bacpack model.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Walker View Post
          @Lani, the rolling luggage pocket model is also noticeably lighter than the bacpack model.
          Ohhhhhhhh hmmmmmmmm!!

          Comment


            #6
            My WF has them (rolling luggage sleeve), and they are really handy!

            Comment


              #7
              Definitely confirms that if I ever get a Western Flyer, it'll be the luggage handle version. Of course, until they make the Nordic Dyneema in that version, I will likely hold off. I like the steel dyneema, but I already have the co-pilot in that color and want a different color dyneema if I get the Western Flyer.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Walker View Post
                @Lani, the rolling luggage pocket model is also noticeably lighter than the bacpack model.
                Intriguing...How much lighter? I am planning to get a Dyneema only Tri-star or Western Flyer and would consider forgoing the backpack straps if it lightened the bag enough.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm debating about which Western Flyer to get. Does anyone know how much the Dyneema Western Flyer weighs with and without backpack straps?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We need help from the Tom Bihn crew for the official weights. I had ordered the WF backpack in Nordic blue dyneema. It felt noticeably lighter than my WF backpack in ballistic navy/solar.

                    I also ordered the WF with the rolling luggage pocket in steel dyneema/steel. It felt noticeably lighter than the dyneema backpack version.

                    But I had no way of taking actual weights.

                    I returned the backpack version - traded it for a Tristar in dyneema nordic blue.

                    Reason for trade - after comparing the dyneema and ballistic WF backpacks live, I concluded that I can live with the heavier weight of my ballistic navy/solar WF backpack. It is sized just so, such that unless I pack bricks, the weight is pretty much controlled by the volume/amount of stuff I pack in it.

                    Since getting the WF, I have been dying to get me a Tristar. But I did not want a carry-on bag that is over 3 lbs empty. The dyneema Tristar is under 3 lbs, very noticeably lighter than my Aeronaut in ballistic/iberian.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Weights:

                      Western Flyer, Backpack Straps, in Ballistic = 1160g = 2.56lbs
                      Western Flyer, Backpack Straps, in Dyneema/nylon = 956g = 2.1lbs

                      Western Flyer, Rolling Luggage Pocket, in Dyneema/nylon = 814g = 1.79lbs
                      Western Flyer, Rolling Luggage Pocket, in Ballistic = 1054g = 2.32lbs
                      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                      Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Wow, the rolling luggage/Dyneema option is so light! I'm so wimpy though, when my WF is fully packed, I need the backpack straps to be able to comfortably carry it.
                        I really, really like TB Bags!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                          Weights:

                          Western Flyer, Backpack Straps, in Ballistic = 1160g = 2.56lbs
                          Western Flyer, Backpack Straps, in Dyneema/nylon = 956g = 2.1lbs

                          Western Flyer, Rolling Luggage Pocket, in Dyneema/nylon = 814g = 1.79lbs
                          Western Flyer, Rolling Luggage Pocket, in Ballistic = 1054g = 2.32lbs
                          Thanks for the stats, that's interesting info. Based on the internal pockets and the weight info, I will almost certainly pull the trigger on a Western Flyer for use as a briefcase overnight bag, just as soon as y'all start making it in Nordic dyneema with the rolling luggage pocket. Are you getting my hints yet?

                          Of course, I'm pretty sure I'd also place an order for a Nordic Dyneema Brain Bag if that ever happens--might even go steel on that one if that's the only dyneema option.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I have one in ballistic with straps. I was debating between one with or without the backpack straps. The first time I used it, I needed the straps to run to a bus to catch a flight. Perfect. I am glad I opted for the straps.
                            Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by autolycus View Post
                              Thanks for the stats, that's interesting info. Based on the internal pockets and the weight info, I will almost certainly pull the trigger on a Western Flyer for use as a briefcase overnight bag, just as soon as y'all start making it in Nordic dyneema with the rolling luggage pocket. Are you getting my hints yet?
                              Hint taken, but... sorry, no plans to make the rolling luggage pocket version in Nordic Dyneema/nylon. :/
                              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                              Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X