Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,672   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, JFlyer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Bihn & the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ludovicus
    replied
    My friend gave me a ticket to go see the Redwings' game on November 16th. This is my first time to see them live at Joe arena, so I'm very excited. I checked their web page for bag rule, and it seems they have closer (& tighter) regulations like that of NFL's than MLB's. I'm thinking of taking 3D Clear Organizer Cube (3-1-1 bag) in Iberian as my clutch bag to carry inhaler, pills, & Clear Organizer Wallet. I'll be carrying my tickets in a neck strap w/ clear ticket holder. Hopefully since 3DCOC is under bag limitation size, I won't be given a tough time at the entrance. I'm wondering if I need to carry doctor's note on what my medications are. I'm kind of nervous but I wanna have a good time at Joe Arena without hustles.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa
    replied
    Originally posted by hamiltee View Post
    Melissa, be prepared for your next Chargers game. This is a league-wide policy. :-(
    • 2 Charger tickets? Check
    • 1 premium parking pass? Check
    • TB organizer wallet with ID, credit card and cash? Check
    • TB small key to attach above wallet to pants belt loop? Check

Okay! I think I can survive a game without my Side effect!!

Leave a comment:

• hamiltee
    replied
    Originally posted by monkeylady View Post
    Yes, sadly, since the Boston Marathon bombings. And don't think it's just the NFL. And not just the U.S. Those bombings affected the sense of security, or lack thereof, worldwide.
    Baseball (MLB) and hockey (NHL) are both pretty "normal" still, placing a reasonable size limit on bags. I took my SCB to a St. Louis Cardinals game about 2 weeks ago with no issue and last year to a Blues game.

Melissa, be prepared for your next Chargers game. This is a league-wide policy. :-(

Leave a comment:

• monkeylady
    replied
    Yes, sadly, since the Boston Marathon bombings. And don't think it's just the NFL. And not just the U.S. Those bombings affected the sense of security, or lack thereof, worldwide.

Leave a comment:

• bermudajes
    replied
    Originally posted by Melissa View Post
    Is this a new rule?
    Yes, it's new. I believe it was implemented at the start of last season.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa
    replied
    All I can think is "Wow"! What have we come to? The only time they get really strict is when Chargers play Raiders. Otherwise, you just have to know that your bags WILL be searched. Purses backpacks, diaper bags. But, to not even be able to bring them into stadium? Is this a new rule? (I have been to Charger game yet this year.)

Leave a comment:

• bermudajes
    replied
    Originally posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    seriously not trying to be a smart alec
    Hahaha... when I first read this, I thought, there's no way a Smart Alec would be allowed in an NFL game.

Leave a comment:

• KatrinkaWinkle
    replied
    @RhoFro, seriously not trying to be a smart alec -- but turn your phone around so the face is away from your keys. That's what I do when I carry the 3D cube. I've also used an OPW to separate the keys from the phone.

I keep meaning to pick up a small neoprene case for when I use my 3Ds, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Sometimes I just fold up a microfiber cloth and nestle the phone in that, with one long side open. Keeps it handy to grab quickly but still protected.
    Last edited by KatrinkaWinkle; 08-11-2014, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grandcache
    replied
    Another option is a Scotte Vest or Jacket... SCOTTEVEST®/SeV - For the Trip of Your Life™ | RFID Vest Comparison

Check out the site--there are a variety of options. I have a vest that has seen many miles--It has been the perfect way to keep me organized and keep my valuables secure when I want to be bag free...:-)

Leave a comment:

• hamiltee
    replied
    Originally posted by bermudajes View Post
    Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, MI no longer allows bags of any kind - they're really picky about wallets, too.
    I'll be heading back to a college game next month... at Michigan Stadium. Go Blue! No bags allowed here, either. I'll have to do the cargo shorts.

Originally posted by RhoFro View Post
    That makes it a Falcons team color Black/Red combo even though I'm going to cheer on the Browns
    If you're cheering for the visiting team, you know security's going to scrutinize you more.

Totally not giving the NFL one more penny for their totes. It all goes to Tom! Frankly it's more about additional revenue than security I think.
    I agree to a point. I'm sure there are a lot of non-transparent bags and purses with NFL logos - more expensive than the clear totes - that have seen sales dips with the new policy. I've seen a few that I would get for a game day purpose only, but no more...
    Last edited by hamiltee; 08-11-2014, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• itsablur
    replied
    Although, since my SE is dyneema, I could pull 2 inches inward to get through security . . . Totally not giving the NFL one more penny for their totes. It all goes to Tom! Frankly it's more about additional revenue than security I think.
    Could very well be true. ... You could also buy not so authentic/unlicensed gear and stick it to the man.

Leave a comment:

• RhoFro
    replied
    It sounds like my best bet is the 3D cube with a shoulder strap. That's what I was thinking; it's definitely regulation. While the Side Effect is close enough, I'm not comfortable risking a Nordic/Solar SE if they reject it since we'll probably take the train to the stadium. Our stadium is a dome so weather is not an issue.

I just ordered the black parapack option in the 3D since I like the olive pp so much and will make due with my little OP and TB wallet - both cardinal. That makes it a Falcons team color Black/Red combo even though I'm going to cheer on the Browns

Although, since my SE is dyneema, I could pull 2 inches inward to get through security . . . Totally not giving the NFL one more penny for their totes. It all goes to Tom! Frankly it's more about additional revenue than security I think.

Leave a comment:

• itsablur
    replied
    Looking at the sizes of various accessories, it looks like all of the main contenders are technically too big to be considered a clutch by NFL standards, usually by about .5".
    • Small Double Organizer Pouch (7" x 5")
    • 3D Clear, Mesh, or Fabric Organizer Cube (7" x 4.3" x 2")
    • Side Effect (8.6" x 5" x 2")

Your closest option would be one of the 3D cubes, and as @terayon suggests, using other OPs inside the cube to organize and protect things. Half an inch should be insignificant enough to pass the eye test unless you get a really strict security person/bag checker.

The other option is to get an NFL sanctioned tote. This whole policy has sprung up a new cottage industry of bags that conform to the regulations. I've found that if you've got a tote, they'll look through it, but unless there is a particularly egregious item in your tote, you'll be fine. I think we just used one tote to carry odds and ends for about 4-5 of us.

Leave a comment:

• terayon
    replied
    Can you put your phone in a non-clear 3D org cube, and your keys in a mini (maybe even a small) OP in the same cube?

Leave a comment:

• bermudajes
    replied
    Like hamiltee, most of my experience is with college football. I know the rules vary by stadium (though I WISH they'd enforce the rules across the board the way they do in the NFL), but I never risk bringing anything too large. I've seen way too many bags abandoned at the front gates for this very reason.

(Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, MI no longer allows bags of any kind - they're really picky about wallets, too. Last year I squeezed my phone, a couple of cards, and a little cash into a mini OP, but that made it very difficult to take items in and out. Weather permitting, I just carry the bare minimum in my pockets and make due without anything else.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X