Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,823   Posts: 191,281   Members: 6,721   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in my Side Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in my Side Effect?

I propose a thread with how folks use their Side Effects and what they carry in it, ideally with pictures. I have only seen very few postings/pics about this, but I thought a dedicated thread could help many.

I'm always looking for ideas on how to maximize the use of my TB bags and you creative folks have shown time-and-time again how ingenious you are.

Thank you in advance!

Well, here's mine, though I doubt there's anything particularly creative here. Exploded is my navy/solar SE, lip balm and little purple pen, a stack of cards that I don't need very often, the shoulder strap bundled up, an 8" keystrap with a mini screwdriver attached, a pen and pencil, a small Moleskine notebook, a mini Iberian OP with earbuds and the headphone adapter to use with my Lifeproof phone case, a pocket pouch with more important cards in it, a small DOP with coins in the front and credit & debit cards in the back, a few receipts and my Tim's card, and cash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	941.8 KB
ID:	293228

Here it is all put back together. The pocket pouch is clipped to the top o-ring, the Iberian OP is clipped to the left o-ring and the keystrap is clipped to the right o-ring. When my keys are in the SE, they are clipped to the other end. The shoulder strap is in the right pocket and the stack of cards, mini pen and lip balm are in the left pocket. The DOP, cash and receipts go into the "back" zipped pocket; the DOP acts as a divider between the cash and the receipts.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	293229

Comment

A Tim's card? I see coffee, but can't read the writing -- Tim Horton's? What benefits does the card bring? (Discounts? Free coffee every Nth fill-up? The occasional Whopper?) I want a Tim's card, now that I know they exist. I was in Michigan last week and failed to go into a Tim Horton's, despite several good chances to do so.

Comment

I use my steel/wasabi Dyneema SE mostly for flying. (No photo, sorry.) In the outside pocket I keep pencils, pens, itinerary, a small Soduku book for no-electronics boredom emergencies. I use one inside pocket for tiny folding reading glasses, a pill pouch (Advil, etc.), stray essentials in a tiny plastic bag, individually-wrapped handwipes (clean those seat trays! - another great tip from this forum). The other pocket holds my ancient iPhone. In the big inner portion I keep my new rockin' Q20 headphones, a TB wallet clipped in, and small Moleskine. For overseas flights I switch out the Moleskine for a Nexus 7.

I use the double caribiner clips to attach the SE to the plane pocket - what a super idea from a brilliant Bihnion. This tip has simplified my air travel so much! I'm one of those folks always fussing to get situated at the beginning/end of a flight. This system keeps it simple and organized for me.

Comment

Originally posted by terayon View Post
          little purple pen
          I love your little purple pen. Where can I get one?!
          Does it come in purple?

Comment

Originally posted by timothy View Post
            A Tim's card? I see coffee, but can't read the writing -- Tim Horton's? What benefits does the card bring? (Discounts? Free coffee every Nth fill-up? The occasional Whopper?) I want a Tim's card, now that I know they exist. I was in Michigan last week and failed to go into a Tim Horton's, despite several good chances to do so.
            It's just a reloadable cash card for Tim Horton's. No other benefits, though I did get this one for free with a couple of bucks on it - essentially, I was given a free coffee. They hand them out at every till at every Tim's. I'm not sure about Tim's presence in the U.S. but here you can't throw a stone without hitting three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pangifone View Post
              I love your little purple pen. Where can I get one?!
              I got a big, multi-coloured pack of them at Staples a year or two ago. My kids love them. They are not high-quality pens by any means but they sure fit well in the SE!

Mini-Gel Pens
              Last edited by terayon; 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

No pictures but this is what I keep in my steel Dyneema/solar SE: two double carabiners in exterior pocket. This is an outstandingly useful rig I have used on every plane trip since I read about it on the Forums.

I also keep a couple of Band-Aids and a pen in the exterior pocket and some earbuds. Inside I have a glasses cleaning cloth, hand lotion, a GoTubb with ibuprofen or Tylenol, lip balm, and a small notebook with to-do lists. These are the essentials I like to have available at arm's reach.

Comment

Mine is a first aid kit.

In the outside/back zippered pocket is the flat stuff:
                  * Deodorant Wipes
                  * Nail File
                  * Hair Ties (My hair's too short to need them, but they still come in handy)
                  * Tweezers with Case
                  * Thermometer
                  * Thermometer Sleeves
                  * Single-Use No-Water Toothbrush Thingies (I'm thinking about tossing these. Not really my thing.)
                  * Little Packets of Strips of Tape (I don't know. They came with something, they fit in here, and they may come in handy. )
                  * Assorted Bandaids

Name:	IMG_20140903_220637.jpg
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	293230

That same list, but tidied up a bit:

Name:	IMG_20140903_221119.jpg
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	293231

In the big/main section:
                  * Gloves
                  * Little Toothpick Flosser Thingies (again, not really my thing, may toss these out of the pack.)
                  * Q-Tips
                  * Hot Flash Spray
                  * Meadowsweet Tincture
                  * Bug Spray
                  * Tissue Healing Salve
                  * SPF Face Serum
                  * Bug Bite Remedy
                  * Bruises Bumps and BooBoo Balm
                  * Rescue Remedy (5-Flower Essence)
                  * Scissors
                  * Floss
                  * Triple-Antibacterial Ointment (also not really my thing, likely to be cut)
                  * Gauze Pads
                  * Two different kinds of Tape

Name:	IMG_20140903_224023.jpg
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	293232

All tidied up:

Name:	IMG_20140903_224227.jpg
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	293233

I'm planning some changes to this. When I toss out those I marked, I'd like to add:
                  * Antiseptic Wound Powder
                  * Antiseptic Wound Wash
                  * Altitude/Electrolyte Powder
                  * Tooth Powder
                  * Tooth Brush
                  * Squishy Shot Glass
                  * Dram of Lavender Essential Oil
                  * Tummy-Calming Tea
                  * Cayenne Powder

I'm confident it'll all fit.
                  Does it come in purple?

Comment

For every day use, this is pretty much what I carry.

Name:	Side Effect2.JPG
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	293234
                    Last edited by bchaplin; 09-04-2014, 09:22 AM.
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

@Pangifone I just picked these up at my local Office Depot. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Peruvian View Post
                        @Pangifone I just picked these up at my local Office Depot. HTH.
                        I have used these too. Definitely higher quality pens than the Mini Gel pens from Staples, but they are longer so they don't fit quite as well in the inside pockets of the SE. And because they're retractable, the pen end sometimes gets pushed out, marking up my SE. Of course, with a darker interior than solar it may not matter.

Comment

terayon: I've seen them quite a bit in Michigan (perhaps Ohio, too), as well as northern New England / New York. They have something of a cult in the U.S. (exotic foreign donuts!), but I always notice them when I'm on the way someplace else without enough buffer to stop.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timothy View Post
                            terayon: I've seen them quite a bit in Michigan (perhaps Ohio, too), as well as northern New England / New York. They have something of a cult in the U.S. (exotic foreign donuts!), but I always notice them when I'm on the way someplace else without enough buffer to stop.
                            It's all of the expatriated Canadians clamouring for the flavours of home. (Notice I used all of the proper spellings there?).

The exposure from everyone's favorite fake (but real) Canadian Robin Scherbatsky on How I Met Your Mother certainly helped too. I'd love to get a Priestley right about now...
                            Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Comment

Here's my daily SE load-out. Normally my SE goes in the bottom compartment of my S25. When I take the Co-Pilot out it goes in one of the rear pockets. I also use it on my bike, TB-keystrapped on the handlebars, then my iPhone & Saddleback leather wallet go in there as well.

Name:	JA_SE.JPG
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	293236

In clockwise order:

1. Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect with Wasabi keystrap and black handstrap.
                              2. Renu eye drops
                              3. Fingernail clippers
                              4. 8GB USB flash drive
                              5. Swiss Army Alox Pox III knife
                              6. TB shoulder strap for SE
                              7 Classic Leatherman multitool, also contains clip-on mechanism for various screwdriver bits in pouch
                              8. Various pens & pencils
                              9. Pocket screwdriver
                              10. Portable LED light, backside has a foldable hanger, very handy
                              11. TB Surprise Gift 2013, steel parapack with ibuprofren and spare change
                              12. And finally...color-coordinated black, gray, wasabi Kleenex pack
                              Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Comment

Working...
                              X