Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,199   Members: 6,711   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, Rangerjo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Previous version of Smart Alec, compare to current

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icebeng View Post
    @weirdguy, more temptations for you :P
    http://forums.tombihn.com/just-regis...html#post79100
    @weirdguy

If you want to use a cache on rails, the cardinal SA doesn't look like it has rails loops. Just noticed it!

Comment

@adalangdon, thanks.
      I double check the direct link's description. It did not come with Rail Clips, but clearly state that there are Rail Loops
      Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
      Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
      Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
      Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
        @adalangdon, thanks.
        I double check the direct link's description. It did not come with Rail Clips, but clearly state that there are Rail Loops
        That's weird, because my SA has the rail loops on both sides of the O ring. If you look at photo #3, you can see they are absent? I think the seller may have confused the rails system for caches with the annex system for brain cells. The *annex* clips are absent but yes, the seller is right that the annex loops are there. Some correct me if I'm wrong please?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410483853.626658.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	293329
        Last edited by adalangdon; 09-11-2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I would not worry if the SA you are looking at (or any bag) has Rail Loops or not. They are easy to sew on yourself (or by a tailor) as they are just 2 1" wide strips of webbing folded back on itself and sewn into the thick seam join 4" apart centre to centre (4" for the vertical rail system - 7" apart for the horizontal version). It did this for my 2004 BB and 2011 SA - See this link where I show it added (I used the rail loops with my Brain Cell - which I also added the rails needed for it to work):

http://forums.tombihn.com/thoughts-t...html#post60277

Also concerning the Mesh back vs Cordura back. I find that there is not too much different if it is very hot - mainly because it is a wide area that is on your back. The S25 has a much smaller footprint on your back because it's design inherently provides less contact with your back (e.g. parapack bottom section of the back s tapered away from your back, side if the back taper away from your back). Of all the mesh backs, I prefer the BB which also has small air channels in the mesh.

All versions have a 1000d Ballistic Nylon centre strip and sides made of 1000d Cordura except for the all 400d Dyneema version that came out for the latest version.
          Common structural items include excellent laptop protecting foam padding on the back and bottom (unlike the BB and S19/S25), the open pocket at the bottom front of the back and annex clips for the Brain Cell. Of course, the 2 side pockets and top opening lid are common in all versions.

For me, I see 3 distinct versions of the SA:

1) The original "Jet pack" clean version (started production ~2005 - @moriond, can you confirm?)- main differences were it had open pockets on the top flap and no exterior loops for UMP or LMP or bungie cord - hence the clean look. The waist strap and chest straps were not removable and the interior was 500d Cordura.

2) The "Bungie jet pack" version (started production ~2008 - @moriond, can you confirm?) - this version had the zippered top flap pockets, loops and bungie cord on the bottom half and the drain hole for the water bottle side pocket. The loops are compatible with the newer LMP but you cannot put on a guardian light at the bottom like the latest version. Later version of this model got removable waist and chest straps and hydration clip. The probably was also some design tweaking of the top opening as well. I believe that this is also when they started using the 200d Dyneema interior.

3) The "Hot rod jet pack" version (started production ~2012) - this version has the breathable mesh back, ballistic nylon bottom, loops for the UMP and design tweak of the top opening. The loops for the LMP are slightly different and the bottom loop can accommodate a guardian light. Also, a second water bottle drain hole was added to the pocket on the other side so that one could use the added glowwire option (really cool on that video of the TB crew riding their motorcycle with SA glowire setup at night). The 200d dyneema interior, zippered flap pockets and removable straps of the earlier version were continued. Later versions got the rail loops and the all 400d Dyneema version came out as well.

I cannot speak to O-rings - perhaps someone can determine that. I also cannot speak to the side pocket interior changes or all the different color options.

Please add if I have missed something or correct me if I wrote something incorrect.

IMHO, I like my Bungie jet pack. It straddles the line between the simple clean design of the original and the more "functional add-in" laden current version. I can use the LMP of the latest version and I have the option to put oversized item on the exterior (or carry a small Christmas Tree like Tom Bihn did in one of the pictures). But, in the end, I do agree that the UMP is very useful. If you want to use it that way, go for the latest version. Note that the LMP can be hooked inside the back and perhaps the UMP can be to for some flexibility in packing. Also, pet hair is ok for me as it only appears on the sides and is not as noticeable if I do not have time to clean it off. However, the latest version is the most pet hair resistant - especially the Dyneema Version. That being said, an all Ballistic Nylon version would be my amazing!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
          Last edited by tpnl; 09-12-2014, 06:00 AM.
          TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

@adalangdon, thanks for pointing out. There seems to be quite a few variety version of SA out there. I'm also confuse about the Annex Clip loop and Rail loop.

As for the moment and also near future, I have no intention to use a Cache or the Rail or to be TSA Compliance. In any case I should, I will try to fix up @tpnl's alternative method as I personally prefer Brain Cell than Cache.
            Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
            Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
            Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
            Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Unrelated to your post - I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox has reached its quota. You need to delete some messages if you want people to reply to your PMs.
              Collections:
              Work EDC: SE + S19
              Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
              Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
              General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
              Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
              Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Comment

Working...
              X