Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,657   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, frogmore.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S19 for tall person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S19 for tall person?

I'm 6'3" 190 lbs

I currently have a S25 and love it but want to get a smaller bag since I don't carry much in daily. Does anyone tall use the 19? Wondering if it'll be too small on my back.

Thank you!

My husband is your height and weight and uses my S19 on occasion. He used it as his EDC for about six months while commuting by bus with a computer. He prefers messenger bag, though, so he went back to it as soon as he could ditch the computer. He really liked the S19. While others have said that it looks ridiculous on a larger person, I thought it looked great on him! Go for it!

Comment

Hi thigby an welcome!
      I am 6,2 and use a S19 often. And when I am tiered I make my Husband carry it. He is 6,6. He prefears bigger backpacks but the S19 does not look rediculus on him.

Sorry for my bad english I do not know why my tablet does not get that I am not trying to wright German. My laptop has no problems with me switching languages. But this stupid tablet underlines every singke word red so I can not distinguish which one have typos and which are "got to go" .
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

I'm 6'1" and have a s19. My wife has commented that it looks a little small on me, but not to the extent that she won't go out with me while wearing it Other than me soliciting an opinion from her, I have never had any looks, snickers, etc when wearing it in public. It is a pretty good size for EDC imo (and works well for athlertic endeavors like bike riding)

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
          Hi thigby an welcome!
          I am 6,2 and use a S19 often. And when I am tiered I make my Husband carry it. He is 6,6. He prefears bigger backpacks but the S19 does not look rediculus on him.

Sorry for my bad english I do not know why my tablet does not get that I am not trying to wright German. My laptop has no problems with me switching languages. But this stupid tablet underlines every singke word red so I can not distinguish which one have typos and which are "got to go" .
          I think you do a marvelous job of communicating! I'd love to see how well I do on a German language forum. Alas, it would be poor, I'm certain!

Comment

I'm 6' - 178#'s and I bought the S19 but I felt it was too small. I liked the bag itself but the straps were "short" and I could never get them adjusted right to be comfortable. To get the pack to sit in the right spot on my back I needed to let the straps out all the way. So the end of the padded strap was riding really high on me and it wasn't very comfortable. I might have a long torso so you may need to buy it and try it for yourself.

BTW I have an S25 and it's perfect.

Comment

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, and wear a 46" or 48" suit jacket depending on cut. My S19 used to be my EDC until I got a Pilot, and is still used regularly for more recreational purposes. It can be a little snug around the shoulders if I'm wearing a bulky coat, but works just fine for me.
              A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Originally posted by acv View Post
                I'm 6' - 178#'s and I bought the S19 but I felt it was too small. I liked the bag itself but the straps were "short" and I could never get them adjusted right to be comfortable. To get the pack to sit in the right spot on my back I needed to let the straps out all the way. So the end of the padded strap was riding really high on me and it wasn't very comfortable. I might have a long torso so you may need to buy it and try it for yourself.

BTW I have an S25 and it's perfect.
                @acv You ordered your Synaose 25 at the end of May 2013, when they had just switched over all Synapses to use wider spacing on the backpack straps. The Synapse 19 you tried before then almost certainly had the closer backpack strap spacing, and that is not true of any models of the current Synapse 19 -- they all use the strap spacing that is used with your Synapse 25. It would be more understandable if @PaulT00 found his Synapse 19 to be too snug, because his is the Nordic 400d Dyneema/Steel Synpase with the old "Portable Culture" tags that uses the closer strap spacing. Unless he has secretly been putting up with an unusually snug fit for his EDC just because the bag is Nordic Dyneems, I don't think the current design Synapse 19s will prove a problem.

HTH moriond

Comment

I too had issues with the comfort of the S19 straps but the S25 has been wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                    It would be more understandable if @PaulT00 found his Synapse 19 to be too snug, because his is the Nordic 400d Dyneema/Steel Synpase with the old "Portable Culture" tags that uses the closer strap spacing.
                    I find this a bit scary! I would have to go and look at the bag to check this, and yet you pull this information out as if by magic! Have you been stalking me, or do you have a database we don't know about?
                    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

I'm 6'3", 175 and I currently use a pack about the same size and shape as the S19 for daily commute: two busses, a train, and some walking. I don't carry much -- lunch, book, small umbrella, cord pouch, and another pouch with some odds and ends.

If you're fixed on having a smaller bag, don't hesitate over the s19. I've never felt my current bag was too small on my person. The s19 isn't for me, only because my current bag tends to get a bit too full.

I just got my S25 yesterday, and it looks like just the thing. It's not too much bag for what I carry, but has the extra space I need on occasion. (This, to me, is the true genius of the 25.)

I'm kind of a one backpack person, so having both isn't really for me. (I oscillate between a backpack and a shoulder bag.) With that said, the s19 isn't too small, if you're not carrying more than it can comfortably hold.

I'd rather have the extra space.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT00 View Post
                        I find this a bit scary! I would have to go and look at the bag to check this, and yet you pull this information out as if by magic! Have you been stalking me, or do you have a database we don't know about?
                        @PaulT00, The Nordic/Steel Synapse 19 you got from @ceepee's eBay auction was only issued when Nordic first came out, and I bought one of those bags, too in December 2012. All those bags have the "Portable Culture" label and come with the closer backpack strap spacing, which I noted because it's more comfortable for me (just under 5'4" and smaller build). The switch to the wider backpack strap spacing in May 2013 hit some of the Synapse 25 models with the "Made in USA" sticker (mine in Steel 400d Dyneema/Wasabi went through in April, and has the closer straps), but basically all Synapse 19s with the "Made in USA" label have the wider strap spacing. Enough people on these forums obsess about the availability of the Nordic bag options for me to know that it wasn't available again until the Nordic/Solar S19 options came out this Spring, but even if I had been wrong about your S19 being one of the old models, I could have looked at the picture you posted of your Synapse (19) in an Aeronaut (45) and seen the "Portable Culture" tag. I had to reference that http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...-aeronaut.html thread just a day earlier!

Not a stalker. HTH

moriond

Comment

Moriond I am sure PaulT00 just wanted to express his emasement with your talent of finding and conecting informations. That is of so much value to this forum and you are so patient with us who are forgettfull/nonfinding the right posts/infos.

Many great ideas and gourges pictures would be lost in the debth of the forums and blog without you!

Ilkyway
                          “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                            @acv You ordered your Synaose 25 at the end of May 2013, when they had just switched over all Synapses to use wider spacing on the backpack straps. The Synapse 19 you tried before then almost certainly had the closer backpack strap spacing, and that is not true of any models of the current Synapse 19 -- they all use the strap spacing that is used with your Synapse 25. It would be more understandable if @PaulT00 found his Synapse 19 to be too snug, because his is the Nordic 400d Dyneema/Steel Synpase with the old "Portable Culture" tags that uses the closer strap spacing. Unless he has secretly been putting up with an unusually snug fit for his EDC just because the bag is Nordic Dyneems, I don't think the current design Synapse 19s will prove a problem.

HTH moriond
                            Thats an interesting point and it was right around the time of the 25 being introduced. My issue was the strap length - it just wasn't long enough for me. I guess a picture would make more sense but it's too late for that.

I guess the moral of this story is if the 19 doesn't work the 25 most likely will...

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
                              Moriond I am sure PaulT00 just wanted to express his emasement with your talent of finding and conecting informations. That is of so much value to this forum and you are so patient with us who are forgettfull/nonfinding the right posts/infos.

Many great ideas and gourges pictures would be lost in the debth of the forums and blog without you!

Ilkyway
                              Yes, @Moriond, your depth of knowledge for all things Tom Bihn is quite impressive. When I saw your first response to PaulT00 my thought was, "do me, do me!" Many of your posts leave me astounded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X