Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,170   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attach hiking poles to an S25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attach hiking poles to an S25?

Has anybody successfully secreted away their hiking poles while hiking with an S25? There's nothing on the front that you could attach them to, nor on the side. They contract down to about 2 feet, so it might work to just shove them into the main bag compartment, but I'm open to other suggestions?

I also have a brainbag, which has some accoutrements on the front, but it still doesn't look suitable for hiking poles and the S25 is a lot better for me for hiking

Hope you don't mind if I simply redirect you to another thread. Someone asked a similar question but with a S19 instead before.
    The original question was specifically about attaching the poles outside the S19.
    http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...ms-outide.html

I might be mistaken, but the Brain Bag sounds like a better candidate if you wanted to go camping instead. I think you could probably pack a tent in there along with the rest of your stuff
    I agree that the S25 is more suitable for hiking.

Comment

@i_clavdivs This may not be an answer for the poles you are carrying, but have you seen @Trailhiker's PHOTO ESSAY - PACKING CUBE BACKPACK (AERONAUT) thread? The Black Diamonds, Ultra Mountain FL Trekking Pole - Black Diamond Gear look really good, and the tallest collapse down to 17", which would fit inside your Synapse 25. (@Trailhiker shows these carried in a PCSB for the AERONAUT in this thread, but they'd also fit into a PCSB for Tri-Star/Western Flyer, a Daylight Backpack, and a Synapse 25. I recall that you like Forest Green, so the color should appeal, and Black Diamond also has another Women's model that comes in Amethyst (for those wanting a purple fix), with different sizing.

Here's the quoted section of @Trailhiker's reply (post#9). Note that image attachments don't get displayed automatically if quoted outside of the parent thread, so you'll have to click the attachment or use the arrow beside the quote, or the previously given thread link to view the pictures.

Originally posted by Trailhiker View Post
      Shiva, Quick answer, *:-)

1. Search key, "eBags Slim Lunch Box"

2. Black Diamonds, Ultra Mountain FL Trekking Pole - Black Diamond Gear

Love'em!!!

I find that it's *best to use two, ( they usually come in a right / left set) and when u set them on level ground your arm should be at a *90 degree angle to the grip. *When going up hills it's better for your knees as well as giving your upper body a work out as well. Very handy in steep descents. *

There are lighter fold up ones, but they tend to be non-adjustable on the top part.*
      ( which comes in handy on different terrains and inclines )

Memo, when folding up the sticks I tend to use a sweat wrist strap or (a set of *Guides pack ice pick straps as I used in the photo below) to help hold the folded elements to the handle. The bottom of the pole clips into the disk element.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6764[/ATTACH]
      You can also follow @Trailhiker's suggestions about using a stretchy headband or the Guide's Pack short lash straps (that you can separately purchase from the Guide's Pack Pockets and Straps product page under Accessories) to secure the sticks.

HTH moriond
      Last edited by moriond; 09-10-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks both for the helpful links. Unfortunately, my poles only contract to about 2 foot which when they're inserted into the water bottle pocket, leave a lot dangling in the wind. They also would be too wide to attach horizontally in anyway. I like icebeng's elastic band concept using the bottom loop and the top loop in some way. I need to make sure though a) it's secure, as I tend to hike listening to headphones, so I'm unlikely to hear them as they quietly slip from my bag 8 miles ago and b) not so secure that taking them off and putting them away becomes a chore.

Comment

I have an S19 and am interested in crafting a solution or two. I will post what I come up with if it solves the problem. Will post too if I bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandelion View Post
            I have an S19 and am interested in crafting a solution or two. I will post what I come up with if it solves the problem. Will post too if I bomb.
            Responding to my own challenge:

My poles are 25" collapsed. These solutions will be more challenging if you don't have baskets on your poles.

The pack has some stuff in it for demo purposes but not crammed. Water bottle is in the bottle pocket. I think the more full the pack, the tighter the poles would be held against it. Eventually the key straps might be too short though.

Using what you might have already:

1 - 8" key strap looped through the webbing at bottom of pack and ends hooked together. Pole tips placed into loop.

1 - 8" key strap looped through the grab handle on top of S19, through the pole handle straps for extra security, and around poles underneath the handles. It's quick and dirty, I swung that pack around and the poles didn't let go.

If you wear a wide-brimmed hat it might bump against the poles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S19Poles3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	293305

I like this next arrangement better.

Put the waist belt on backwards, string the ends through the pole handles for extra security, buckle up and pull tight.
            I have a 16" key strap at the top placed through the grab handle and wrapped in such a way that the poles stay crossed and out of the way of zippers.

Name:	S19poles1.jpg
Size:	716.6 KB
ID:	293304

waist belt rig

Name:	S19Poles2.jpg
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	293303

You can larkshead a piece of paracord to the bottom web and use that for holding the pole tips. I tried a small carabiner but didn't care for it.

I basically tried to recreate the way ice axes are attached to climbing packs except I don't have the nice pick to hold it all in place.

I'm sure I have other ideas(working on one now - maybe faster deployment) and possible refinement for the ones offered here.
            Of course, you don't have to use keystraps either. I tried it because I saw a solution right in/on the pack.

Comment

I have a couple of packs with this arrangement and was trying to do something similar for the S19. No luck so far and honestly, I don't like carrying my poles this way. YMMV

You might be able to hang a small stuff sack somewhere on the pack to hold the pole handles and then secure the tips wherever it works. Thinking of the yarn stuff sack with the clips.

Another example of what I was attempting
              Last edited by Dandelion; 09-10-2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

minimalist pole attachment

Poles on, no extra parts

1) Push pole tips and baskets through the grab loop

Name:	s19minimal.JPG
Size:	744.3 KB
ID:	293306

2) thread pole straps through webbing on bottom of pack

Name:	s19straps.jpeg
Size:	955.2 KB
ID:	293307

3) bring both strap loops to the right and over ends of handles

Name:	s19handles.jpeg
Size:	892.5 KB
ID:	293308

EDIT: After viewing this setup in the mirror I didn't like how the pole tips were angled towards the back of my head. So, do the above in reverse with a loop of paracord or something strung through the web on the bottom of the pack for the pole tips, then loop the handles /straps to the grab loop. There's only so much to work with here and it's challenging. \
                Last edited by Dandelion; 09-10-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I like the simplicity of the S25 buy sometimes I wish it had more attachment points or some way to expand or attach additional items to it. Like your hiking poles. Good luck.

Comment

Wow, tks Dandelion, great pics and descriptions. I found an old carabiner and the poles came with a little plastic thing that keeps them together somewhat, so using the loop on the inside of the water bottle pocket and your tips for what to do at the bottom, I bodged this:

Name:	IMG_3841 (Small).JPG
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	293316

Name:	IMG_3842 (Small).JPG
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	293317

Name:	IMG_3843 (Small).JPG
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	293318

Like you, the bag isn't overly packed, and there's a bit of a risk that the poles will fall of the plastic thing, but I think worst case scenario is that they'll dangle from their straps at the bottom until I notice the issue.

I need to field test this, anybody know a good field?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by i_clavdivs View Post
                      Wow, tks Dandelion, great pics and descriptions. I found an old carabiner and the poles came with a little plastic thing that keeps them together somewhat, so using the loop on the inside of the water bottle pocket and your tips for what to do at the bottom, I bodged this:

Like you, the bag isn't overly packed, and there's a bit of a risk that the poles will fall of the plastic thing, but I think worst case scenario is that they'll dangle from their straps at the bottom until I notice the issue.

I need to field test this, anybody know a good field?
                      You could use shock cord w/a cord lock in place of the carabiner. That way you can easily loop it over the pole ends and snug it. I think one attachment might need to be elastic like this to accommodate varying pack fullness to keep the poles snug? Also, since the pack angles towards your head ( or thins) from bottom to top, you don't want the pole tips to do the same. Shock cord might alleviate this by allowing repositioning or different tensioning .
                      As you field test your setup think about where those poles might end up in relation to your body if you fall. I have pointed pole tips so I would carry them oriented towards the ground.

Bonus easy-grab carry option for water, larabars!, packable down layer, mittens and beanie, etc. Nothing too heavy.

Yarn stuff sack attached to shoulder strap via interior triangle thingie. Slides up the strap for easy access too.

Name:	yarnsack1.JPG
Size:	763.0 KB
ID:	293319

Name:	yarnsack2.jpeg
Size:	867.0 KB
ID:	293320

Comment

Hmm, I can't quite figure out how the sack is attached there cos it looks like a good idea. Can you describe it a little more?

In the meantime, I've secured the poles a little better with a strapeez just above the plastic doodah, so they'll stay together - in fact I daresay I can dispense with the plastic doodah. Good point on what's going to hit me first if I fall ass over teakettle, although it would be a very different set up if I didn't have the poles' straps to push through the bottom loop. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend (going on a long hike and trying to fall over )

Comment

Hmm, I can't quite figure out how the sack is attached there cos it looks like a good idea. Can you describe it a little more?
                          )
                          TB Yarn Sack with top rolled down. That triangle hook is attached to the backpack strap in the images I posted and clipped in a way that allows the to sack slant forwards. Available in various sizes and colors.

Name:	yarnsackhook.jpg
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	293321

Comment

Ah gotcha. Yeah, it's only a normal stuff sack that I've got (well 4 of them to be precise) and they don't come with that useful looking gizmo.

(My credit card just let out a whimper!)

Comment

Ah gotcha. Yeah, it's only a normal stuff sack that I've got (well 4 of them to be precise) and they don't come with that useful looking gizmo.

(My credit card just let out a whimper!)
                              @i_clavdivs that "useful looking gizmo" is for feeding yarn that is placed in the yarn stuff sack through. Some people rig up a yarn guide on the Travel Trays by using a Double Carabiner Clip like this:

You could do something similar with the regular travel stuff sacks.

Sorry for the not great picture, which was from this post.

HTH moriond

Comment

Working...
                              X