Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,657   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, frogmore.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 45 as European and Australian domestic carry on luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeronaut 45 as European and Australian domestic carry on luggage

After seeing how amazing my A30 is, my husband is now on a mission to acquire one for himself ... the dilemma is whether it is an A30 or A45. He is leaning towards the A45 for that extra bit of space, but some travel will include Australian domestic and intra-European flights. How do others go with the size of the A45 as carry on for both international and domestic routes in these regions. Have you been asked to check it or is fairly easy to pass as carry on size luggage. Thanks

I'm in the UK and have used my A45 on Ryanair flights in Europe with no problems. Easyjet have a slightly shorter max length (50cm vs 55cm) in order to guarantee it as cabin baggage but if you don't pack it to bursting you should be able to fit it in the baggage-sizing bins fine.

Having said that, I was very glad that I had a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in my A45 because when my A45 went a bit over the max weight for cabin baggage I could just take out the PCSB (which had my iPad and some reading material for the flight) and carry that as my allowed "personal item", giving me easier access to entertainment during the flight and bringing the A45's weight down under the cabin baggage weight limit (10Kg I think).

Hope that helps,

Charlie

Comment

I unexpectedly was asked to check in my Aeronaut 45 for an international flight from the US to France, on XL Airways France. They have the very strict weight limit of 5 kg (which is 11 lbs) for carry-on luggage. I was carrying about 15 lbs. for two weeks' worth of travel, so I definitely had to check it in. Thank goodness I had my TB Small Shop Bag with me. It became my last minute carry-on when I had to throw together my flight essentials quickly at the check-in desk.

So depending on the airline, it might be the weight and not the dimensions of the bag that determine whether the bag needs to be checked in. This is another point in favor of ultra minimalist travel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Ginkgo; 09-15-2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I did a post yesterday about a BBC article on airline hand luggage The article includes a list of the major European carriers and the size and weight limits of their hand luggage:

Size Matters - One Bag, One World
        Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

very useful Frank - thanks! here in Canada all the major airlines have announced they will charge a $25 fee for checked luggage. I hope this doesnt bring changes to carry-on policies, which are fairly generous on AC

Comment

Thanks everyone. Decision made that it'll be the A45 after my husband did a couple of practice packs in my A30 and he struggled to fit his rather large shoes in the 30. It made me realise how blessed I am that I have small feet and small clothes ... at least in terms of one-bagging it!

Comment

djjr, don't forget that you're smaller too! I was able to pack in a ton of stuff in my little A30 because I wanted to see how I could do with the load. 1-2 miles on my back was just fine, but I stuffed it more on the way back and carried it with the shoulder strap (wore my DLBP) and that got a little cumbersome after some time together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X