Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,679   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
    @moriond,
    Interesting combination.
    Is that Crimson more towards Orange or Red?

Also, from the second photo, it seems like the interior front pocket is lined with Steel Dyneema.
    I can't tell the exact colors from the color balance of the pictures on the eBay web site (there are more if you check the listing). The poster describes this: "Color is black with green panel on front and bright red interior to make it easy to find items." However, I know that Cayenne was used as a lining color more recently than Crimson, and Black/Forest/Cayenne was one of the colors they sold:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	idforestcay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	293485

see this blog post. The product page for the ID bag is still available, and says "The front flap features a large pocket lined with our 200 denier Japanese Dyneema®/nylon ripstop fabric (an ultralight yet impossible-to-tear fabric) and closed by a #8 YKK Aquaguard® water-repellent zipper. It's the perfect pocket for storing items you'll need quick access to, such as passport, plane tickets, and wallet."

I don't know anything more about this listing, and have only posted this in case Forest lovers find this of interest.

HTH moriond

Comment

I've got a black/hunter (I assume, its a very deep green)/steel Empire Builder I purchased used a few years ago so don't know exactly how old it is. Its understated but a nice bit of color compared to all black bags.

Comment

Forest/Steel Pilots are listed again, not as backordered either.

Comment

Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
          Forest/Steel Pilots are listed again, not as backordered either.
          Nice catch. They haven't updated the color codes for this, though.

ETA: Correction, they have now.
          Last edited by moriond; 10-17-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
            I actually agree with this, but if @djknyc ordered an ID bag back in 2004, that strap is not the standard strap we are talking about. I have an ID bag from that year, and I immediately replaced that strap with an Absolute Strap as soon as it was possible. I'll quote an excerpt from my reply to @adalangdon in her Blog post on the Id thread from last month:
            moriond
            @Moriond, I'd read that you owned an ID. Are you able to make brief comparison or brief review between ID and Pilot, which I believe you owned as well?
            Or someone else did such comparison review? I try to look under Bag Review, none found.

I would be happy, others chipped in as well.
            Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
            Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
            Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
            Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
              @Moriond, I'd read that you owned an ID. Are you able to make brief comparison or brief review between ID and Pilot, which I believe you owned as well?
              Or someone else did such comparison review? I try to look under Bag Review, none found.

I would be happy, others chipped in as well.
              First, my ID bag is an old version (2004 purchase date), and there were many new design features and modifications that were added in terms of the water bottle and side pocket placement, and the front pocket flap, when the bag was re-designed. (I actually prefer having the pockets in the design that I have, since there's a convenient pocket for airline and train tickets I can access without opening the flap, and some of the curving front pocket sides to make the contents less susceptible to rain I had taken care of by putting a large organizer pouch in the front pocket that simultaneously acted as a shield for papers placed behind, and also as a divider for organizing the pocket contents).

I don't use the ID bag very much now, mainly because I don't have to carry heavy laptops around along with their brain cells, and if I did, and I wasn't carrying the load distributed into a second bag, I'd probably use the center compartment of a Tri-Star. The ID bag was something I used more when laptops were heavier, and when there were fewer options for also traveling with computer and clothing for a few days. As soon as the Synapse debuted, that became my favorite bag, because I'd rather carry my load backpack style, and I don't really need very large bags to hold my clothing.

You and @tpnl typically carry larger/heaving laptops and power bricks. The heaviest laptop that I've carried when traveling is probably the ThinkPad T60p. I won't get a Mac laptop larger than 13" because of the carrying weight. And even though I've specced and ordered the ThinkPad W520 for someone else, I would never carry a laptop that is that heavy myself, not to mention the weight of the power block, which is similar to the weight of the one you guys use.

Basically, the Pilot is designed for the trend to lighter laptops with alternate overnight/short trip or personal carryon bag. At 20 liters (50% larger than the 13 liter Pilot), the ID is a much bigger bag. If you are looking for an intermediate size messenger bag for carrying your laptop, I can see why the ID bag might be of interest to you.

If you need a current ID bag review, probably another forum member would do a better job.

HTH moriond

Comment

The reason I suddenly brought up the ID Messenger Bag is I find it very perspective or unique.

The ID is made with 3 Materials - Cordura (Interior), Ballistic for Exterior and Dyneema for Pockets' Interior.
                I have yet to see such colour combination in Tom Bihn's Bag. Please correct me, if I am not wrong. The newer design is somewhat like Smart Alec, just that it is Horizontal. Also, the 2 Interior Side Padded-Pocket really interesting.

I agree. Backpack is more comfy and keep your both hand empty and flexible.
                I like Synapse due to its structure look - whether it is empty, half empty or full, it still looks good but it is Cordura exterior.
                While on Smart Alec, it is another story. As @tpnl mentioned before, one of the main few reason he prefers SA is it could carry his Brain Cell with ease, plus all the crucial protection that the Brain Cell provided for his electronics and the SA's bottom are padded as well. However, I hesitate due SA's sad Look with just Brain Cell attached inside.

Nevertheless, thanks @moriond for your insight.
                Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
                Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
                Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
                Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Working...
                X