Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,637   Posts: 189,058   Members: 6,624   Active Members: 294
MartyAuste
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MartyAuste.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 30 versus the Synapse 25 - overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeronaut 30 versus the Synapse 25 - overkill?

I really love the Aeronaut 30 but feel like it would be overkill since I have the S25. The dimensions of the S25 are actually bigger than the A30 but the shape of the backpack means lost space compared the rectangular shape of the A30. I guess what I want to know is, can you carry the same amount of stuff in both bags??
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

No, the Synapse is 25 liters, smaller than the A30 at 30 liters.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Comment

I have both. I can try to do a test for you later. I would imagine it is not just the volume but the overall shape and internal organization that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

Yes, what bchaplin said. I have both and to me they serve distinct functions. I can tell you based on my trial packing experiments that you can get way more clothing into the A30, and, while it's totally possible to use the A30 to carry laptops and other office stuff, the S25's shape and orientation makes it a lot more comfortable to carry. There's definitely a spot in my bag lineup for both; in fact, I think these are my two favorite TB bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
          I have both. I can try to do a test for you later. I would imagine it is not just the volume but the overall shape and internal organization that makes a difference.

Wow if you could do a test of both that would be very appreciated.
          Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            Yes, what bchaplin said. I have both and to me they serve distinct functions. I can tell you based on my trial packing experiments that you can get way more clothing into the A30,

How many packing cubes fit in the middle compartment?

Comment

I'm assuming two large A30 cubes; I don't actually own any dedicated cubes for it.

Comment

I agree with what has already been said. I don't have the A30 yet, but feel I know what they are saying by having experience with the A45 and both sizes of Synapse. I think it depends on how you plan using them.

I find the A45 comfortable fully loaded, easier for me than dragging a wheeled bag through an airport and my back has been injured twice in the last few years, so much so that I needed physical therapy and that I need to be careful with it so I don't over strain it. As far as comfy in every day use, defining comfy as barely noticing it is on my back, the synapse wins. I use a lot of TB organizers in it to keep the main compartment sane, with leashes attached. I may have said this before, but the 19 is the clown car of bags when it comes to someone like me.

That being said, I am amazed at how much I can pack as far as clothing goes into my A45. I plan on giving the A30 that challenge when I get one. I was raised in the golden age of air travel in an airline family, so I did a lot of standby as low person on the totem pole. I have the distinction of spending New Year's Eve 65/66 at Love Field because we couldn't get a flight out. After one of the more recent incidents, It took 36 hours to get to Bermuda from the west coast and I was on a paid to ticket. The first one I didn't have a proper bump bag, the more recent one, no food. I carry both now for the family and can now get three adults packed for that in one A45 and the smaller synapse. I'm talking any event. It paid off in the ice storm last year, believe me. When stuck like that now, believe me, I am sending kudos to everyone that works at and for TB.

You have to remember from whence I came. Look at what is now called Vintage Luggage. No wheels, heavy as he I and poorly organized. I have carried it all and even spent one summer when my dad was transfered carrying it all over creation. I have also purchased a lot of cheaper luggage before I discovered TB. Believe me, even though it is considered pricey, it is a bargain.

To sum it up, Melissa, having both is not overkill, it is a very wise decision. You will end up putting it in your will or people will fight over who gets it. It is the one corner of travel that has really improved for me and made the uglier parts worth the struggle getting to amazing parts of the world.

Comment

The A30 large packing cube fits comfortably in the S25 with a laptop in the cache and plenty of room to spare above the cube. I have only tried it with one cube but I suspect that you could squeeze in 2 cubes without too much fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by djjr View Post
                    The A30 large packing cube fits comfortably in the S25 with a laptop in the cache and plenty of room to spare above the cube. I have only tried it with one cube but I suspect that you could squeeze in 2 cubes without too much fuss.
                    Thank you. Today I packed my S25 using my ebags packing cube set which I love. I decided that the S25 is just perfect. I dont think I will be getting the A30 (but dont quote me on that!).

Comment

Working...
                    X