Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,625   Posts: 188,944   Members: 6,612   Active Members: 296
MBTRick539
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MBTRick539.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uses for lower modular pocket SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uses for lower modular pocket SA

Do any of you use the lower modular pocket made for the SA with non SA bags? A few days ago, my Mason jar of tea fell and broke, and there were several reasons for this, but it got me thinking that I could use a sturdy layer to contain my lunch items, tea, water bottle, and other such items. I don't think it will fit on my other usual bags (Pilot, Co-Pilot, or MCB) given the placement of the hooks, or if it does, it will bump against me because the MCB has its waist strap attachments on the surface against the wearer's body.

But maybe I could use this in a shop bag to provide some protection for these food items. What do you think?

Sorry if this has been addressed in other threads; I have never kept track of the SA-related conversations.

tpnl does (I think) even carry that very Pouch on its own with a strap on it. I have seen pictures where he put it on other bags too (not the shop bag though).
    http://forums.tombihn.com/how/7793-u...html#post68349
    This is the only thing I could find right now. tpnl has so many posts, that my search-powers do not provide the pictures he took. I hope he comes by and points you to them, because they are good.

I hope this helps a bit. If you specify what you want to put in it and I have something that equals your items I'll do some pictures if you want.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
      tpnl does (I think) even carry that very Pouch on its own with a strap on it. I have seen pictures where he put it on other bags too (not the shop bag though).
      http://forums.tombihn.com/how/7793-u...html#post68349
      This is the only thing I could find right now. tpnl has so many posts, that my search-powers do not provide the pictures he took. I hope he comes by and points you to them, because they are good.

I hope this helps a bit. If you specify what you want to put in it and I have something that equals your items I'll do some pictures if you want.
      Thanks @ilkyway! I am thinking I will carry a water bottle, lunch container, and jar of tea. If you can post any photo of this type of stuff in the lower mod pocket I will find it very useful. If too time consuming never mind.

ETA: Actually, no need to post more photos. What @NWhikergal showed in that post you linked is exactly what I want to do. Thanks @ilkyway for pointing this out!

It has nothing to do with the lower mod pocket being available in Aubergine....
      GoStanford
      Forum Member
      Last edited by GoStanford; 09-26-2014, 09:09 AM.

Comment

That last sentence of yours made me smile big time!
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

My boyfriend bought the lower modular pocket on a trip to the TB store with no realization of its intended use Actually when he got back, he was talking about how excited he was about his new "pocket pouch" and all he could fit in there and I was very confused because the actual pocket pouch is tiny, haha... He uses it as an extra "pocket" inside of a couple (non-TB) bags and also as a seat-back bag on the plane. The gatekeeper clips happen to let him hang it (on what I think is the top of a framesheet actually) inside his very un-pocketed Seal Line backpack. I just took a glance in there, and he's got lots of little odds and ends, like his computer mouse, earbuds, nail file, etc. It's not nearly filled to capacity. I think when he uses it on the plane, he has his water bottle, snacks, Kindle, smartphone, earbuds, and maybe a couple other small things. He says he likes the flat back because it's easy to slide in and out of bags.

Comment

I use it as my lunch bag - It holds 2 glasslock container for lunch and breakfast. What I like about the LMP is that it is very thin compared to its length. I either carry it via an 8" TB Key strap hooked to the top 2 gatekeeper clips or with a shoulder strap (@moriond suggested a medium sized shoulder strap because the 5/8" one TB currently sells is a bit too small and gets twisted - and I agree).
            For the other gatekeeper clips, I just used some Velcro strips to tie them to each other on the back so they do not catch on my clothes.

If I have a bottle, I usually put it in a water bottle holder - I use the SealLine Water bottle holder and clip it to the back of the LMP over the Velcro ties. If you want to put the bottle inside, the other items should also be similar in shape (ie longer than wider or thicker) as that is shape of the space left after putting the water bottle inside.
            However, if using it as protection from glass breaking, I would say that adding some padding would be good (e.g. paper towels at the bottle) just to be extra careful as the LMP does not have any built in padding beyond the exterior material (but better padding than a Shop bag or any straight Dyneema bag).

For carrying it with other bags, I just hook the key strap around the shoulder strap of the bag I am carrying and reattach it to the LMP so it just hangs off the side of your other bag (e.g. MCB or Pilot). But, it does work well as a small shoulder bag. You can even use it to hold camera lenses.

Also, as @ClaireJ's mentioned, it will fit in other bags. If they have O-Rings or annex clips, you can "hang" the LMP from and make good use of vertical space - especially in backpacks.

I have even attached it to my Brain Cell and used it to hold my accessories - see blog post picture and a thread where we go off on a tangent a bit talking about the LMP after talking about the Lead's Pocket:

http://www.tombihn.com/blog/wp-conte...ntitledjpg.jpg
            http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...html#post75708

IMHO, both the UMP and LMP are quite versatile in their own right and you can find many uses for them - @Ilkyway uses the UMP similar to how I use the LMP (and nice pics by @NWhikergirl with the LMP in @Ilkyway's thread and @Ilkyway's first pics of the UMP in that same thread). Let me know if you want me to snap a few pics to make things clearer.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
            tpnl
            Volunteer *********
            Last edited by tpnl; 09-26-2014, 08:54 PM.
            TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Working...
            X