Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,313   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, driph.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a Tom Bihn fix

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Getting a Tom Bihn fix

    How do you all satisfy a TB craving when you feel you must have something new? So far, this is what I have found works:
    *check the Forum for interesting reading
    *check the shop site hoping that something new has magically been stocked
    *organize existing items and update Excel sheet
    *practice pack
    *and also the USPS shipping on small accessory items has been outstanding. I recently got a couple of small organizer pouches/wallets this way. The shipping rates are favorable and this allows for new colors/fabrics to be obtained.

    Maybe it's hopeless if I even have to ask this question....

    #2
    You didn't mention:

    * adding things to your wish list

    Yep, I've done pretty much everything on your list. However USPS is so slow to get here that I often cave and pay for UPS
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19
    Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
    Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

    Comment


      #3
      I would always Troll on Ebay for crazy good deals on something pre-owned.
      I have had some luck there bit it does require vigilance and a commitment to keep trying even if it takes a while to get a good deal,it can happen.

      Stay away from the Nordic there though!

      Comment


        #4
        All of the above for me...


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
          *organize existing items and update Excel sheet
          What's on your Excel spreadsheet?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
            What's on your Excel spreadsheet?
            It was @ilkyway's mention of a catalog of TB items that got me going on the spreadsheet. I took out everything I have and listed approximate month of purchase, exact if the paperwork was handy, item, material and color - enough detail to identify it quickly - and whether I have used it. The stuff I haven't used in two or three months I try to rehome.

            I am behind on this for small accessories but for bigger items it wasn't hard.

            I usually sort by item name so I can see which colors I have and decide what I want to keep.

            The organizer pouches are a bear to sort like this. For half the colors I don't know the proper name so I just say "bright blue" or something like that.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
              How do you all satisfy a TB craving when you feel you must have something new? So far, this is what I have found works:
              *check the Forum for interesting reading
              *check the shop site hoping that something new has magically been stocked
              *organize existing items and update Excel sheet
              *practice pack
              *and also the USPS shipping on small accessory items has been outstanding. I recently got a couple of small organizer pouches/wallets this way. The shipping rates are favorable and this allows for new colors/fabrics to be obtained.

              Maybe it's hopeless if I even have to ask this question....
              @GoStanford, Why not browse the blog? You can type in search terms to find old articles on topics of interest, or look under the Archives by Month link to explore old pictures and offerings, and get new ideas for color combinations and usage?

              Originally posted by GoStanford View Post
              I usually sort by item name so I can see which colors I have and decide what I want to keep.

              The organizer pouches are a bear to sort like this. For half the colors I don't know the proper name so I just say "bright blue" or something like that.

              Does this help to identify names of colors? It's a dated picture (from 2011), that Darcy once posted to offer as proof that Sapphire Dyneema was no more (see "Discontinued" label). However, it also identifies lots of colors that were available at that time:

              Click image for larger version

Name:	colorswatchboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	293426

              HTH moriond

              Comment


                #8
                I do all of the above, but in addition I try to convert my friends into becoming a bihnion! I dunno if u remember my first post about getting a B-Day present to a friend who had been like a mother to me in the States. It turned out, their daughter took notice of the B-Day present (Swift Aubergine) and she told her mother, she wants one exactly like that to use as college study bag! I hope swift Aubergine would come back soon for my friend, so she can get it to gift their daughter!

                or sometimes I rationalize getting tom bihn stuffs and tell myself this isn't for me. It's going to be a present for so and so. Hey, it works not to feel too guilty over tom bihn addiction!


                Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  Does this help to identify names of colors? It's a dated picture (from 2011), that Darcy once posted to offer as proof that Sapphire Dyneema was no more (see "Discontinued" label). However, it also identifies lots of colors that were available at that time:
                  I note with interest that Forest was AKA Conifer! Pretty much confirms the hypothesis that they were meant to be the same colour, until this final batch of Forest ended up with a blueish cast.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I know this isn't as interesting as some of the suggestions above, but sometimes I re-invent how I use/carry my existing bags, or bask in my TB closet until some insight hits me and I decide which bag to carry. Since I have a family of LS and SE and a few Cafe bags have joined the herd I have quite a few choices for my EDC. I can say the same with whatever bag I may carry to handle the "other" stuff. Between my Imago, Pilot, Swifts and Synapses I have quite a few choices. Since I don't change frequently, a bag may be out of rotation for a little while. "Finding" that bag again is always a pleasurable experience.
                    I really, really like TB Bags!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X