Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,679   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Tom Bihn bag - Aeronaut 30 or Western Flyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely over thinking this - but now I'm conflicted about the color (I want my first TB purchase to be perfect!) - should I get the black dyneema/iberian combo (and wait til mid-november) or go for the navy ballistic/UV combo (love the UV lining)? TB experts please weigh in as I've never seen either of the colors IRL, they both look so nice and reading your comments I probably can't make a wrong choice but would still love your opinions!

Comment

If this is your first TB Bag, I would recommend buying both with intention of returning one you like the least, but you probably will gush over both. TB makes super easy to return items in a hassle free way. Until you actually feel how Dyneema is in person, you waffle back and forth between the two choices. You may like it, you may not. The mid Nov date is just an estimation. It will ship sooner. Personally, I love Dyneema for accessories, but not for larger bags. Your going to have to try this for your self to see which you prefer.
      If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by teaelleyou View Post
        Definitely over thinking this - but now I'm conflicted about the color (I want my first TB purchase to be perfect!) - should I get the black dyneema/iberian combo (and wait til mid-november) or go for the navy ballistic/UV combo (love the UV lining)? TB experts please weigh in as I've never seen either of the colors IRL, they both look so nice and reading your comments I probably can't make a wrong choice but would still love your opinions!
        Hmm, it's so subjective that I'm not sure our opinions will help definitively, but here are a few things you may want to keep in mind:

1. Black Dyneema is a striking fabric and I think it's at home in many a professional situation (the WF shape helps with this too).
        2. There is about an 7 oz. difference in weight between the ballistic and Dyneema versions. It may not seem like a lot on paper, but it isn't insubstantial. Since you are going to be using your bag for up to 5 days of travel, you may appreciate the weight savings of Dyneema.
        3. Navy is a great color but pretty hard to describe. It's simultaneously richer and brighter than the online photos suggest. To me, that's a good thing, but it's not run-of-the-mill dress blue Navy.
        4. While I've gone on the record multiple times about not liking UV (hey, it takes all sorts), I will readily say that with the retirement of Solar, I think that UV is the nicest looking interior for Navy.

I've owned around 15 TB bags over the years, and at this point most of them are Black Ballistic/Iberian or Black Dyneema/Iberian, so I'm a bit partial to your initial choice. I will say from experience that I have been, on the whole, happier with my bags when I was totally sold on both the interior and exterior color. If you love UV but are not sold on Navy as an exterior color, that is something to think carefully about. If you are certain that you'll really like the Black Dyneema/Iberian combo, I would say hold off if you can bear it.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Since the dyneema is more lightweight than the ballistic, does it hold structure as well as the ballistic?

Comment

@badger , really insightful words regarding the color choosing process of your Bihn bags. All of the colors are so unique and great that I'm always overthinking combinations; far from my days of black, more black, and the occasional deep shade of gray. That being said, I'm wondering if someone like you knows about when they add new color options to bags. I'm terribly impatient and am pretty much sold on plunging for the A30 in Black/Iberian, but I think if other options were available I could be happier with a different color combo. I think I'm really into steel but don't like UV for my interior.

Comment

Since the dyneema is more lightweight than the ballistic, does it hold structure as well as the ballistic?
              I'll let Badger answer that one since she's had both.

The dyneema/Iberian combo is quite stunning. I have more accessories that go with UV so tend to lean toward that pairing. But I just got a SA in dyneema/Iberian so that might change. A picture for you of some shop bags in this combo...

Click image for larger version

Name:	LSB.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	293482

Comment

I had a Ballistic WF and I have a Dyneema Tri-Star. Dyneema is nowhere as firm as Ballistic, that's true. But I don't think that with the WF it's such a big deal. It's not as long as the Tri-Star and it doesn't have the same depth, which will help keep things from sliding around and bunching. A sleeve for your dress shirts, etc., could be handy provide a bit more structure, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity. Also, if you've got a laptop in there, you'll have quite a bit of structure from that.

Originally posted by platisc View Post
                @badger , really insightful words regarding the color choosing process of your Bihn bags. All of the colors are so unique and great that I'm always overthinking combinations; far from my days of black, more black, and the occasional deep shade of gray. That being said, I'm wondering if someone like you knows about when they add new color options to bags. I'm terribly impatient and am pretty much sold on plunging for the A30 in Black/Iberian, but I think if other options were available I could be happier with a different color combo. I think I'm really into steel but don't like UV for my interior.
                I have no idea what colors are coming out, like, ever. And because I often forget to check the website, I am sometimes the last to know. If it helps, Steel Ballistic has been offered with UV, Iberian, and Steel interiors. I am not sure if Steel or Iberian have been options for the A30, though. One thing you might consider: get the Black/Iberian and accessorize with Steel Dyneema cubes, stuff sacks, and such. I have a few configurations and I really like the way it looks. But that said, if you really aren't a huge fan, it could be worth it to wait. You can always contact the factory and see when new colors are slated to come out, or if Steel will be offered with a non-UV interior in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                  One thing you might consider: get the Black/Iberian and accessorize with Steel Dyneema cubes, stuff sacks, and such. I have a few configurations and I really like the way it looks.
                  Exactly my logic. Looking at steel TLSS, CQPC and large A30 packing cube, along with a Travel Tray in black for a potential black ballistic/iberian bag. Glad to hear you like the steel over iberian configurations in your bag. Looks like i'll be heading in that direction as well. Thanks for the help

Comment

Since there seems to be a question about the colour combo of the Navy/UV Western Flyer, I thought I'd say I've just bought one today. Should be with me in the UK within the week. I'll post pictures if interested.

I have a black ballistic/steel Tristar and a Steel ballistic/UV Aeronaut 45. I did also have a Navy ballistic/Solar Ristretto so felt confident going for colours a bit different. Really excited about the Navy/UV and fully intend to use it for Business and Personal travel.

Fingers crossed it looks as good as I hope.
                    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

That would be awesome! I did go ahead and order the black dyneema/Iberian WF but I'm a little bit addicted so would love to hear your thoughts and see some pics of yours!

Comment

My Navy/UV Western Flyer arrived and I love it. I also bought a few Wasabi accessories and think that would also be a great combo with the navy, shame thats not an option at the moment.

Anyway, back to the Navy/UV. Some photos attached.

Name:	Photo 26-10-2014 11 21 11.png
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	293540
                        A great contrasting colour

Name:	Photo 26-10-2014 11 21 41.png
Size:	691.4 KB
ID:	293541
                        Shown against my Navy Side Effect

Name:	Photo 26-10-2014 11 22 20.png
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	293542
                        The most commonly seen contrast when using the bag, the external water bottle pouch
                        Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Oooh, the Navy and UV are a gorgeous combination. Congratulations on your new bag!

Comment

Wow that bag is really stunning! People weren't joking about the unique rich navy. Thanks for posting your pics- I feel like there is a lacking of WF pics compared to the other more popular travel bags! I can't wait to get my WF and I'll be sure to post pics too

Comment

Working...
                            X