Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuff Sack for Marmot Precip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff Sack for Marmot Precip?

Do any of you have a Marmot Precip (men's, size M, bought last summer) and use a Stuff Sack to pack it? If you do, what size do you use?

I don't use a stuff sack for it, but I do find mine -- Men's large -- is a great fit (takes up about half) in the end pocket of the Night Flight. Not what you asked, but a data point ...

Comment

Size 4, maybe? FWIW, my partner's M Jansport polyester fleece pullover goes into a size 4 TSS, and my S mid-weight merino hoodie goes into a size 3 with not that much space to spare. Another data point, if you will.

Comment

@acilento Could you possibly specify the weight of this jacket? If I look this up, for example, at Moosejaw, the entry says "Weight: 13.1 oz / 371.4 g" I wear a Women's small, and basically I could get an Icebreaker Quantum Hoody that is 13.4 oz into Size 2 travel stuff sack (I can actually just fit it into my Dyneema Side Effect, which is smaller). I can fit an Ibex long/sleeve Giro (Women's Small) 10.1 oz into an Eagle Creek Specter 2 Quarter Cube, that is even smaller -- 1.2 liter capacity and dimensions 7.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 in / 19 x 11 x 6 cm vs the Side Effect 1.5 liters and dimensions 8.6" x 5" x 2" / 220 x 130 x 50 mm. The size 2 travel stuff sack is even bigger: 6.3" tall x 5.2" x 3.5" / 160 x 130 x 90 mm and 1.6 liter capacity.

Best guess is that it will fit in either a size 2 or size 3 travel Stuff Sack. For the record, @adalangdon's Ibex Women's Shak Lite Hoody is 32.80 oz from EVO's web site -- she uses a size #3 travel stuff sack 7.9" tall x 6.6" x 4.3" / 200 x 170 x 110 mm and 3 liters capacity.

HTH. Since I'm not familiar with your garment or men's sizing, hope this provides some information by garment weight.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
          For the record, @adalangdon's Ibex Women's Shak Lite Hoody is 32.80 oz from EVO's web site -- she uses a size #3 travel stuff sack 7.9" tall x 6.6" x 4.3" / 200 x 170 x 110 mm and 3 liters capacity.
          Ohemgee, good point. A Quantum fits into a size 2 TSS? That is going to make another hoodie hard to resist when the next sale comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by adalangdon View Post
            Ohemgee, good point. A Quantum fits into a size 2 TSS? That is going to make another hoodie hard to resist when the next sale comes along.
            @adalangdon Yes, I can put the Icebreaker Quantum Hoodie ((Women's S) into a Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack, but I'm using a tight roll when I pack these. (Remember that I said I could pack it into my 400d Dyneema Side Effect, but it felt pretty stuffed. The Side Effect capacity is 1.5 liters and the Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack is 1.6 liters. This doesn't work well for Ballistic Nylon SEs). I think for larger sizes you might have to go to the Size 3 TSS which has 3 liter capacity.

So for @acilento, I'd probably recommend the Size #3 TSS, which will fit items between 1.6 liters and 3.0 liters. The caveats are: I'm not familiar with the men's Marmot Precip he mentions and I don't have a Nightflight Travel Duffel, so @timothy's comments about size relative to the NFTD end pockets don't convey a direct answer to me. However, @kkintea's pictures of the NFTD indicate that the end pockets nicely fit a Clear Quarter Packing Cube, which has a volume of 2.7 liters. So guessing at the volume of NFTD end pockets as being around 3 liters, "about half" of that might be 1.5-1.8 liters, and most likely would require the size 3 TSS.

The estimates of volume by garment weight are only approximate, but did seem to roughly work for the merino wool jerseys (my long sleeve Ibex Giro of 10.15 oz fit into an Eagle Creek Specter 2 Quarter Cube of 1.2 liter capacity, and your Ibex Shak Lite Hoody of 32.8 oz fit into a 3 liter size 3 TSS.

Hopefully, someone who is both familiar with the garment and with TSS sizes can give a better answer than I can. BTW, the Quantum Hoody weights are approximate, since Icebreaker doesn't tend to give this information. Last year's men's Quantum Hoody was 14.1 oz (Icebreaker's reply to a direct question on their web site), but women's Quantum Hoody weights from previous years seem to range from 12.8 to 13.6 oz.

HTH, moriond

Comment

I think you can go with the size 3. I bought that size for my Women's M Marmot Precip and it was way too big. In fact, I could fit two of these jackets in the size 3 with room to spare. I used a Sea to summit stuff sack (the large size in the 3-pack they sell at REI) instead because I did not have a size 2.

There's even room to spare in the smaller bag.

I can fit a men's size medium fleece hoody in the size 3.

Still room to spare for maybe one pair of chonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn't the Precip have a pocket that doubles as it's stuff sack?

Not sure if this will help but This jacket size small will fit into a small Yarn Stuff Sack with room to spare.

Comment

Ok I have the answer: size 2 stuff sac (wasabi) or travel tray.( UV)
                  Size2 sac is perfect fit.
                  i used DH's size M Marmot precip bought 1.5 yrs ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	293467Click image for larger version

Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	293468Click image for larger version

Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	293469

Comment

Originally posted by Dandelion View Post
                    Doesn't the Precip have a pocket that doubles as it's stuff sack?
                    Indeed! It self packs.

PreCip Jacket | Marmot.com
                    Feature tab confirms: "Packs into Pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
                      Thanks for the answer (and great pictures) @Hawaii! The jump between "perfect fit" for the size 2 TSS and size 3, which I knew would work, without knowing the details of the jacket, was enought to make me nervous. And I hadn't thought of using my UV Travel Tray as an alternative packing sack, but that also works for my Icebreaker Quantum Hoody, although it takes up less space in the size 2 Travel Stuff Sack.

@Dandelion, the YSS volume is 1.5 liters, which is the same as that of the Side Effect, and just a bit less than the 1.6 liters of the size 2 Travel Stuff Sack (though I doubt people who own the Ballistic Nylon version of the Side Effect would try using it as a packing cube; the 400d Dyneema or Parapack SEs could be tried out this way, though.) I enjoyed the link to the Patagonia M10, by the way, since I'd been looking at their R1 regulator line that finally made it to their first women's version in 2013.

HTH moriond

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
                        Thanks, Hawaii, this is perfect.

Originally posted by squaredot View Post
                        Indeed! It self packs.

PreCip Jacket | Marmot.com
                        Feature tab confirms: "Packs into Pocket"
                        So as it turns out, some older models of the Precip were self-packing, but the newer ones--and this includes mine--doesn't. I bought mine after reading the review The Wirecutter did last year, which mentioned the pocket, and when I noticed mine didn't have one I emailed the author. He did a little research and got back to me to let me know that they don't make it that way anymore. Still love the jacket, though!

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                          @acilento Could you possibly specify the weight of this jacket?
                          Also, for reference if anyone comes across this later: my jacket's weight is 13 ounces, and was purchased from Sierra Trading Post. Got it on a nice discount, too!

Comment

Originally posted by acilento View Post
                            So as it turns out, some older models of the Precip were self-packing, but the newer ones--and this includes mine--doesn't. I bought mine after reading the review The Wirecutter did last year, which mentioned the pocket, and when I noticed mine didn't have one I emailed the author. He did a little research and got back to me to let me know that they don't make it that way anymore. Still love the jacket, though!
                            Interesting! Indeed, my only experience was with an older model (last year) Good to know. Was a nice feature - bummer it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by squaredot View Post
                              Interesting! Indeed, my only experience was with an older model (last year) Good to know. Was a nice feature - bummer it's gone.
                              Okay, so just to close the loop on this thread: after reading through this thread, I found a Youtube review of my coat which confirmed that it does, in fact, still include the self-packing feature--not labelled anywhere, and I had no idea what to look for, but it works great. So if you need a self-packing rain jacket, I can recommend the Marmot Precip without a single reservation now.

Comment

Working...
                              X