Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,173   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which type of Daylight did I just win? (eBay)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've deodorized things with a bag of cheap coffee beans or activated charcoal. The other trick I can suggest is putting it in a bag in the freezer overnight - I've never done this, but it's been suggested as a way to de-stink without washing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToadStop View Post
      Also is vinegar safe or too acidic?
      I've seen this question about vinegar asked, but I don't recall a definitive answer. However, there are multiple posts about successfully using MiraZyme to remove odors. Two that I recall were @DQBunny's Using MiraZyme to save a Swift (from cat pee), and the post by @Toblerhaus about rescuing her Synapse (a bystander threw up over the bag about 5 minutes into their visit in Madrid, and she was trying to wash the bag and get rid of odors.)

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        I've seen this question about vinegar asked, but I don't recall a definitive answer. However, there are multiple posts about successfully using MiraZyme to remove odors. Two that I recall were @DQBunny's Using MiraZyme to save a Swift (from cat pee), and the post by @Toblerhaus about rescuing her Synapse (a bystander threw up over the bag about 5 minutes into their visit in Madrid, and she was trying to wash the bag and get rid of odors.)

HTH
        The MiraZyne is on the way , I was just hoping to get the odor down a bit so I can take the bag inside instead of leaving outside. It seems that product will definitely do it, it is due to arrive Wednesday

Comment

Have you tried baking soda?

ETA: Sorry, was in a rush earlier and didn't elaborate.

Mix about 1/2 a cup of baking soda into a bucket or sink, then place the DLBP in to soak.
          I guess about 1/2 an hour to 1 hour should do it. Then rinse it off.

I've used Janine's method below before, but with another(non TB) bag. I placed that bag in a laundry bag 1st though.
          Last edited by icebeng; 10-28-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Now that I have this bag, err what is the best way to get the smell of the previous owners home (not quite smoke, maybe potpourri ?) I read in the FAQ to carefully wash it, is there any other way?
            Don't tell anyone, but I'll send a bag through the washing machine on the gentle cycle with a bit of biodegradable detergent (my favorite is Charlie's soap powder). Then I dry the bag flat. I've done this to several bags. It's the only way I know of to get bad smells out of bags.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Janine View Post
              Don't tell anyone, but I'll send a bag through the washing machine on the gentle cycle with a bit of biodegradable detergent (my favorite is Charlie's soap powder). Then I dry the bag flat. I've done this to several bags. It's the only way I know of to get bad smells out of bags.
              @ToadStop For more details about Charlie's Soap (and other laundry products), including where people buy it, see the recent What do you use for travel laundry soap? thread and the links embedded in those posts (and read through to the second page for more on people's ordering sources).

HTH moriond

Comment

Ok, future rule of thumb, when bidding on items like these on eBay, if the seller does not answer a question about smoke/pet free, then it is a good assumption that is it exposed to smoke. I am still awaiting the MiraZyne which comes in the mail tomorrow but my garage smells of the bag a bit. It is a hybrid smoke / chemical smell like the bag was around some smoke and then someone soaked it in something worse. Fro the price I paid and the time and having to order more cleaning products, it was not worth it. Just a heads up to those buying bags off eBay.

Comment

@ ToadStop - So sorry to hear of your bad experience, but I'll bet the Mirazyme will work. Darcy sent me some when I had mentioned a problem with a bag I bought off EBay, and it took everything right out with nothing more than a soak in the bathtub. And that seller said non-smoking home, no smells!

Don't get too discouraged just yet
                  EDC: SCB/MCB, Swift for knitting, small shop bags
                  TRAVEL: A45
                  FAVORITE TB COLORS: kiwi, verde, nordic & black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet, ursa
                  FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Comment

Originally posted by Janine View Post
                    I've scrubbed the hell out of two heavily-used second hand cordura bags with Persil and they were none the worse for wear. In fact, all the dirt came out (I noted with satisfaction that the water was BROWN!) and they smelled like roses after. I highly recommend this course of action 8-)

If the smell is really bad, you could combine the baking soda with detergent, then soak and hand-wash vigorously. I think baking soda alone might not work for very bad smells that have 'permeated' the bag--when I tried using a combination of baking soda and lemon to deodorise a glass bottle that had retained the smell of lemon tea, it didn't work until I threw in some detergent and let the mixture stand for several hours.
                    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-29-2014, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Update, mixed two capfuls of MiraZyne in wash basin and let bag soak for ten minutes. It is hanging now, I check at lunchtime, if it still smells or does;t reduce, well well bag is probably going elsewhere or into the garbage

Comment

Bag is slightly damp, it started raining so I moved the bag indoors. It seems to have reduced the odor in most posts about 50 percent and in the straps about 75%. I will recheck once it is dry tomorrow and then retreat it. So far my hands do not smell after handling the bag (it was even after i washed it_ so there is a toads chance it might just work

Comment

Bag is slightly damp, it started raining so I moved the bag indoors. It seems to have reduced the odor in most posts about 50 percent and in the straps about 75%. I will recheck once it is dry tomorrow and then retreat it. So far my hands do not smell after handling the bag (it was even after i washed it_ so there is a toads chance it might just work
                          Whoo hoo! I'm glad you are making progress!

If you exhaust your patience trying to destink the bag, don't trash it! I'd be happy to try to deodorize it for you! I love projects like this!
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comment

Update, Did treatment again (soaking for 30 minutes then drying) most of the external smell is kinda gone (another 40 percent down) just inside deep pockets. I am afraid if clothes are packed , they might smell a little. It is hanging in the gentle breeze. I am thinking of diluting a little in a spray bottle and rubbing on the inside areas. what do you think? (mirazyne)

Comment

I'd head to the washing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

Update, Did treatment again (soaking for 30 minutes then drying) most of the external smell is kinda gone (another 40 percent down) just inside deep pockets. I am afraid if clothes are packed , they might smell a little. It is hanging in the gentle breeze. I am thinking of diluting a little in a spray bottle and rubbing on the inside areas. what do you think? (mirazyne)
                                Good idea and use an old toothbrush to rub the inside area with the Mirazyme.

Comment

Working...
                                X