Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,199   Members: 6,711   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, Rangerjo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-inch binder - Smart Alec or S25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haraya
    replied
    Thank you all so much!! The pictures and descriptions are super-helpful. That fits with what I was kinda thinking. I have the SA, but did not know how an S25 would work with a big binder. I think, especially since the intended packer is somewhat haphazard about repacking, the SA is preferable on many counts. (I do love the central water bottle pocket on the Synapses, though! Perhaps an LMP, hmmm.... )

Leave a comment:

• Ginkgo
    replied
    I only have the Smart Alec, not Synapse 25. I do have the Synapse 19. Like everyone else above has mentioned, Smart Alec is better with bulkier items. I too carry my lunch in the SA (they are in class/metal tins) and they can sit stacked, flat on the bottom of my SA. That would not be possible in my Synapse 19.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    @haraya I agree with what everyone else said, and what @tpnl summarized: if you have lots of 3" binders or big items, get the Smart Alec. Here's a post where I answered a question about Synapse selections that includes links to some pictures with binders (in a Synapse 19). The Synapse 25 will handle the thicker binders, but if you have more bulky stuff, the Smart Alec is better. The advantage of the Synapse 25 is the organization of its pockets (and water bottle pocket central location and access, if you use this). BTW read down the linked post to view @Rocks comments/credentials in that thread.

HTH moriond

Leave a comment:

• tpnl
    replied
    IMHO

Design-wise, the SA shines when carrying bulky (big binders, lunchbox, big laptop) and unstructured items (jacket, sweater).
    For smaller items (adapters, cables, earphones, etc) and thinner items (iPad, tablet, laptop) needing organization, the S25 shines.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    Smart Alec would be better for a binder that size. You will have more flexibility for carrying the other things.

Leave a comment:

• Rocks
    replied
    I just got a huge binder recently (yay, school!). I'm going to cast my vote for the Smart Alec. It seems to hold big items better. If you had both bags, you'd use both bags. I love the Synapse 25, and I love the Smart Alec. Either would work. You can carry a paperback in the Smart Alec side pockets. The Synapse 25 bottom pocket can hold hardcover books.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1484.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	293557

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	293558

Name:	FullSizeRender2.jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	293559

Leave a comment:

• haraya
    started a topic 3-inch binder - Smart Alec or S25?

3-inch binder - Smart Alec or S25?

Which is better for holding a 3-inch ring binder - a Smart Alec or Synapse 25? (The bag would also need to hold a soft-sided lunchbox, water bottle, maybe 1 or 2 books (let's say paperback size) and at times a rain jacket or stuffable down jacket.
Working...
X