Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,816   Posts: 191,178   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, nathant.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottle Pockets on Synapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edodio
    replied
    Yes. Thanks Ilkyway. That makes sense, but my five Kleen Kanteens all have various dents from me or my kids dropping them and have held up well enough, probably because they are stainless steel, so I'm not too worried about that. It would be a consideration for a glass or glass w/silicone sleeve bottle certainly.

I've read that Smart Alec is not as good at being lightly loaded as the Synapses are, so that's a consideration. I always liked the idea of a Feudian Slip, but mainly for EDC to work and this backpack would be more for weekend day hikes. Plus I so miss Nordic Dyneema and hope that some other color is made available other than black that I may just wait a bit and obsess over the choices until something new is announced. This seems to be a big part of the TB hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Ilkyway
    replied
    I have a thought to ad: with the SA the bottle might hit the ground when you set the backpack down not too carefully. I have Kleen Kanteens and I always fear bumps with my SA. In the Synapses the bottom of the bottle is protectet from the ground due to the lower pocket. Hope this makes sence.

Ilkyway

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by edodio View Post
    Is the bottle pocket on the Smart Alec sealed off from the rest of the bag? I prefer the organization of the Synapses, but SA is better looking imho and may be a better match for me.
    Yes, the SA bottle pockets are separated from the main compartment by ballistic nylon. Each pocket has a drainage hole, as well. You can achieve some good organizational options by using a Freudian Slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• edodio
    replied
    Thanks to all for your detailed responses. It looks like I could have done a better search before posting, as all of this was covered in previous posts.

I have a medium yarn sack, so maybe I'll try it out in my Pilot first.

Is the bottle pocket on the Smart Alec sealed off from the rest of the bag? I prefer the organization of the Synapses, but SA is better looking imho and may be a better match for me.

Leave a comment:

• tpnl
    replied
    I use a Tall Yarn Stuff Sack in my S25 because it is the size that will cover my Contigo coffee mug well - which is 10 inches tall.
    I roll back the top of the YSS a bit to make it easy to take my insulated coffee mug in and out.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• chrisc983
    replied
    May of been mentioned already but what size yarn stuff sack should I get for the S25 water bottle pocket?

Leave a comment:

• haraya
    replied
    You might also consider using a Hydroflask with your Synapse - if you put ice in the bottle (as opposed to putting the full bottle in the fridge to cool it down), the bottle will not sweat, but you will still have very cold water.

Leave a comment:

• Dandelion
    replied
    How about using a cozy/koozie/insulator of neoprene or other fabric on the bottle itself?

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Hi @edodilo, Welcome to the forums. @tpnl has given you a good answer to the solution many adopt with the water pockets in the Synapses, Pilots, and Co-Pilots: using a Yarn Stuff Sack (these have a triangular clip on the side, that is used as a yarn guide, but which also works as a handy clip to the O-rings). The mesh does make use of space between the different compartments of these bags more adjustable and flexible, but the reason that the pockets as a whole are not sealed also has to do with the physical problems of doing such close stitching in a bag that is meant to flexibly adjust the walls. You can read my reply post in an earlier thread that gives links to the key discussion points of why the water bottle pockets in these bags are designed this way.

HTH moriond

Leave a comment:

• nukediver
    replied
    Originally posted by tpnl View Post
    I also use a Yarn Stuff Sack securely hooked to the O-Ring in the compartment to hold any water bottle as extra insurance in case of spills and should address any bottle sweating too. It also makes a good umbrella cover that won't get lost because it is attached to the bag via the O-Ring.
    Brilliant! Shuffling of now to add one to my wish list....

Leave a comment:

• tpnl
    replied
    To add to what @nukediver wrote:

The decision to use a mesh wall between the compartments allow you the flexibility to squeeze a few more items into any unused space either in the middle or side Synapse compartments. Also, the high surface tension properties of water allows the mesh to block some bottle sweat. I also use a Yarn Stuff Sack (I believe I got the idea from @snowbot on in another post - kudos for that idea) securely hooked to the O-Ring in the compartment to hold any water bottle as extra insurance in case of spills and should address any bottle sweating too. It also makes a good umbrella cover that won't get lost because it is attached to the bag via the O-Ring.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-29-2014, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nukediver
    replied
    Hi edodio! I can answer that for you. I have both the Synapse 19 and 25 and yes, the water bottle pockets on both of those bags are partly mesh, regardless of exterior fabric. I've not really had an issue with a sweating bottle, but that's probably because I use a Kleen Kanteen. To avoid the drippy umbrella issue, I just use a newspaper bag, one of the ones I get with all the weekly circulars, etc. and that works just fine. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• edodio
    started a topic Bottle Pockets on Synapses

Bottle Pockets on Synapses

I'm currently looking for a light backpack and considering the Synapses because of their numerous pockets and good organization. One issue that I have a question about is the construction of the bottle pockets in both bags. I bought a Dyneema Pilot a few months ago and was surprised that the bottle pocket in it had mesh material separating it from the two neighboring sections. This prevents me from putting a sweating bottle or a wet umbrella in the pocket (without the silly baggy that many umbrellas come with and that I immediately lose) in fear that the moisture would get on the contents of the adjacent pockets. I'm wondering if the Synapses have the same construction around their bottle pockets. Would someone with a Synapse 25 and a recent/updated version of Synapse 19 be able to confirm this one way or the other? If you think the exterior bag material may influence this, I'm primarily looking at the Dyneema versions.

Thank you.
Working...
X