Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,218   Members: 6,596   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, josha.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to buy first TB - Cafe Bag vs DLBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to buy first TB - Cafe Bag vs DLBC

Hi all. Long time envier of TB and about to take the dive. I am looking for a smaller-than-messenger size bag for EDC to work that can accommodate a little extra for off-work activities. I was just about sold on the MCB after watching the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAqlhgrYMY and this is about right for EDC (i.e., an iPad/iPad mini and/or kindle, but no laptop), but I want a bag that can hold a 13" macbook air on the weekends. Of course, I want my new bag NOW, but TB is out of LCB... Today, I found the DLBC, which I see hold the 13" MBA just fine.

My question is: although the dimensions show that the MCB/LCB is only about 3" deep (front to back), it looks to be about the same depth as the DLBC (listed as 6" deep) in photos. To my eye, the DLBC look [I]narrower[I] than the CBs, but maybe that it is just a bit more structured or an optical illusion as it is wider than the MCB. So, experienced experts, I appeal to you.

I am not a minimalist carrier, nor worried about how it looks as it lays on my back. I will occasionally load up a bag, e.g., lunch, laptop, brick, soft shell, various pieces of lead, etc. What I really want is a nice, adaptable medium-sized bag that can do triple-duty as minimalish EDC, carry more (incl. the MBA) on the weekend, and as a small carry-on when traveling for under $100.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by eastwest View Post
    Hi all. Long time envier of TB and about to take the dive. I am looking for a smaller-than-messenger size bag for EDC to work that can accommodate a little extra for off-work activities. I was just about sold on the MCB after watching the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAqlhgrYMY and this is about right for EDC (i.e., an iPad/iPad mini and/or kindle, but no laptop), but I want a bag that can hold a 13" macbook air on the weekends. Of course, I want my new bag NOW, but TB is out of LCB... Today, I found the DLBC, which I see hold the 13" MBA just fine.

My question is: although the dimensions show that the MCB/LCB is only about 3" deep (front to back), it looks to be about the same depth as the DLBC (listed as 6" deep) in photos. To my eye, the DLBC look [I]narrower[I] than the CBs, but maybe that it is just a bit more structured or an optical illusion as it is wider than the MCB. So, experienced experts, I appeal to you.

I am not a minimalist carrier, nor worried about how it looks as it lays on my back. I will occasionally load up a bag, e.g., lunch, laptop, brick, soft shell, various pieces of lead, etc. What I really want is a nice, adaptable medium-sized bag that can do triple-duty as minimalish EDC, carry more (incl. the MBA) on the weekend, and as a small carry-on when traveling for under $100.

Thanks!!
    DLBC in Cordura, unloaded, is about 3" deep. It will expand (bulge) depending on what you put into it and how.

Comment

FWIW, I put my 13" Toshiba in my MCB for toting to the coffee shop on occasion (once a week, at most). I don't carry it in any case, and it's a tight fit to buckle it shut, but it works for my use.

Last weekend, for example, I toted my laptop, a hardcover book, a paperback book, a large Moleskine notebook, lots of pens, my wallet, phone, earbuds, and some other essentials with me. A little heavy, but the MCB served me well!

Of course, I don't have a DLBC (yet). But I alternate between a purse and my MCB for my EDC (the purse is slightly more attractive, but the MCB is so much better at carrying what I need). Also, when it comes to picking out a personal item for traveling, I love love love the MCB. Because of it's more briefcase-like size and structure (hence the name, Daylight Briefcase), I can't imagine I'd use the DLBC as my EDC.
      kindness is contagious.

Comment

I regularly use a MCB as my EDC and carry my iPad about 50% of the time. I will admit that adding my normal stuff along with it makes it a bit heavier. If you can hold off a little while and wait for the LCB to come back in stock, I would get that. I find the LCB makes a heavier load not seem as bad. It seems, based on the above posts, that the DLBC and the LCB might not be all that different in size. I also don't know that the DLBC would make a good EDC, but that's just personal opinion.
        Current set-up: Black Dyneema/Solar MCB, Iberian 3DOC, COWs in Solar & Steel.

Wishing for more color variety in Dyneema. Can we get a blue again?

Comment

I have both a DLBC and a LCB in my possession (the DLBC is a Christmas gift for a friend). I know they both have about the same in volume capacity but to me, the LCB feels like it can hold more. I think this might be because it's not as "compartmentalized" as the DLBC. I'm also admittedly biased in that the LCB is one of my favorite everyday Tom Bihn pieces. It can expand to fit more than you'd imagine but it doesn't look weird nearly empty either. I've used it as a computer carry-on bag for flying as well as for everyday stuff. I like that it can easily fit full size notebooks and many computers. I love the regular strap on it: the "shoulder pad" slides along the strap making it a breeze to wear cross body and slide in front of you or behind you as needed. I love the little pen slots that the LCB has (the DLBC doesn't).

I think the biggest question for you is, do you prefer horizontal styling or vertical? Over time, I've realized that I have a preference for a more vertical bag/backpack. The LCB is more vertical- actually, it's nearly as wide as it is tall, I think! But the DLBC is more of a horizontal style. Both are great and some people prefer one over the other.

I'm a tactile person, so I often order both just to load 'em each up and try em out!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by eastwest View Post
            @eastwest Welcome to the forums. As previously noted, the formal width of the bottom of the Daylight Briefcase is 3" throughout its length, but some of the pockets, like the zippered pocket on the back side, can be packed so that they will "billow" out. By contrast, the Medium Cafe Bag is a bit larger than 3" wide at the very bottom, but is just a little over 2" wide at the top.

The a side view of the two bags stacked one over another looks like this:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417644005.773429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	293875

That's a linen Medium Cafe Bag holding a 13" MacBook Air squishing down a Plum Daylight Briefcase (so it doesn't look quite as thick as 3"). At the bottom end of the black webbing loop for the waist strap, the thickness of the Medium Cafe Bag is 3". That's about 2.25" above the bottom of the bag. At the base of the MCB it's perhaps 3.25" wide.

You can also see where the top edge of the 13" MBA hits (just below the black strap.

You can close the MCB with the 13" MBA inside. The flap covers it, although it extends a little above the normal top sides of the bag:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417644603.379597.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	293876

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, but these may help to explain things.

moriond

Comment

@moriond I am drooling over that linen bag.

@eastwest I can also attest to having carried a 13" MBA in a MCB, so either will work. My personal opinion is that the MCB is more versatile, but then again, I am not a huge briefcase fan.

Comment

I recently bought the DLBC to use as my EDC, and I love it. For the past few days I have carried my ipad, a hard cover book, a notebooks, a pad of paper, a file folder with paper, a folded shopping bag, my wallet, and a pouch with odds and ends. Everything fit perfectly and the bag did not look overfilled. It was a bit heavy with the book, but it was not uncomfortable. I do not have a mac book, but it seems like a 13" would fit fine in the main compartment. I like that the DLBC looks professional enough to take to work, although it does feel a bit more professional than I would normally carry on weekends. I still plan on using the DLBC as my personal item next time I fly. Honestly, the main reason I went with the DLBC instead of a MCB is the zipped top. I am a bit of a clutz, so I frequently spill things out of an open top bag, even with a flap closure.

Comment

Working...
                X