Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,772   Posts: 190,625   Members: 6,656   Active Members: 263
Welcome to our newest member, basil.bourque.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A30 for Two Week Trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A30 for Two Week Trip?

Good morning (or whatever time of day it is where you are), Bihnions! As many of you know, I already own (and love) the A45. In May (and then annually in January for the foreseeable future), I will be leading a two-week study abroad trip to Senegal and am contemplating getting an A30 in Dyneema for that trip as I will have to lug around my own luggage. What I'm wondering is whether it will be big enough? Here's my likely packing list:

2-3 skirts (Ex Officio, pack up small)
    1 dress
    2 pants (lightweight, also from Ex Officio)
    4-5 tops (1 long sleeve, the rest short sleeve)
    5 pairs underwear/5 camisoles
    2 pairs sandals
    1 workout outfit/1 pair workout shoes
    Swimsuit/cover up/flip flops
    PJs
    Electronics (iPhone, iPad mini, camera, possibly 11" MBA, adapters)
    Books/travel papers/Moleskine
    Toiletries in CQPC
    3-1-1 bag
    Travel blow dryer/hair brush
    Misc stuff (coffee packs, tea bag, granola bars)

I would wear one pair of the sandals, one skirt, one top and a Bliss wrap on the plane so wouldn't have to pack those items. And I probably won't pick up much in the way of souvenirs as I bought quite a bit when we were there on the site visit -- but I could pack an extra bag to fill up if necessary and check the A30 on the way home. My second bag (personal item) would be the S19. I'd also pack an SCB or SE in one of the bags to then use as a purse when we arrive.

For reference, I am 5'4" and wear a U.S. women's size L and 8 1/2 shoes. So, what do you think? Would this fit? Or would I be better off sticking with the A45? Or is there another bag that I haven't thought of? Would love to hear y'all's thoughts!

@brendabethman, do you want to put all of this in the A30 or will some of it go in the S19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@pokilani I expect that most of the tech/books/etc. will go in the S19.

Comment

I don't have an A30, but I do have a Synapse 25 that I use as my main travel bag. I wear a women's XS and 7.5 shoe and don't use a blow dryer, but I can fit all the listed clothes, shoes, and toiletries in my Synapse 25. The paper, books, misc stuff, and electronics would go into a second bag. If I recall you have an S25 as well, so I'd practice pack that along with the A45 to get a general idea of space/capacity of each bag. If S25 is too small or compartmentalized for you, but the A45 is too large, then I think the A30 would work.
        Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Anti-enabling: Why not use a bag you already own, the A45?

Willing to enable but asking this question first.

Comment

@Dandelion I was thinking about weight. We will be spending part of out time in a village and I don't know how far we will have to walk. I find the A45 a bit heavy when it's packed full, so was hoping to downsize both the amount of stuff and the bag.

But, yes, the A45 would be my next choice if it looks like the A30 would be too small. (I'm already pretty sure the S25 won't work as I am just not that minimalist of a packer).

Comment

A30 for Two Week Trip?

I'm a size S/M and 5 in shoes. Here's what I fit:

Camper ballet flats, gladiator sandals in #3 TSS and a Marmot waterproof shell in a non TB sack in the right pocket. Left pocket only had a medium DOP with travel docs and iPad mini. Backpack strap area had a DLBP.

Main compartment:

EC compression cube (large)
              Skinny jeans
              Maxi skirt
              Icebreaker dress
              Cardigan
              5 shirts
              PJs

EC compression half cube
              5 chonies
              1 bra
              3 pairs of socks
              2 scarves
              2 camis

3-1-1 bag
              Tumi accessory case for makeup and non liquids
              Small DOP as a medical kit
              RFID wallet
              Messenger bag

I wore a Pacsafe neck pouch for my phone, travel wallet, gum, earbuds, and ear plugs as a very small personal item, but it also fit in the bag. The main compartment still had room for more stuff. Again, left side was nearly empty.

That said, I think your list would work, but would be packed full. I agree, test pack the A45 and see how much room you have left.

Also, do you really need two pairs of sandals and flip flops? Also, can you use something you're already packing as a coverup?

Comment

First, enjoy Senegal! It is a great country.

I think your items should fit if you have an S19 for the overflow. The two pairs of shoes you are packing are the only things that might make it tight but you should be ok. I think the A30 is appreciably lighter than the. A45; I wish I'd gotten mine in dyneema.

You probably won't have to do that much walking unless you are way out in a rural area; at least in Dakar we had to keep waving off taxi drivers! But it is good to be prepared. And it will make the airport experience easier to travel light.
                ----
                All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                Edmund Burke

Comment

Thanks, @Pokilani -- that's very helpful. And you're right, I don't need the flips. Forgot I was taking only sandals. My other thought is to ditch the workout shoes and just do bare feet if I do any working out in my room. Those take up a stupid amount of room and are kind of heavy.

Comment

A30 for Two Week Trip?

@bchaplin We will be in Dakar for a week and then a village for a week. The village is the unknown when it comes to walking. And wrangling students is already hard, so I am thinking ahead re packing.

Even for me, this is early to plan. But I was thinking about Darcy's comment about the dyneema bags' being out of stock for a while once they run out.....

Comment

Originally posted by brendabethman View Post
                      Thanks, @Pokilani -- that's very helpful. And you're right, I don't need the flips. Forgot I was taking only sandals. My other thought is to ditch the workout shoes and just do bare feet if I do any working out in my room. Those take up a stupid amount of room and are kind of heavy.
                      If you're doing non-hi impact in your room, you should be fine barefoot. I can easily do core work, burpees, push-ups, lunges/squats, fast feet, and high knees without shoes just fine. You can also consider a slim profile sneaker. I like the Saucony bullets. But if you're only bringing them to workout, I think you can ditch them if you plan the right workout.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                        I think the A30 is appreciably lighter than the. A45; I wish I'd gotten mine in dyneema.
                        I often wish this too. But Aubergine is so beautiful that it was worth it. The difference between my dyneema WF and ballistic A30 is really noticeable though. I plan on taking that for my next London trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
                          I often wish this too. But Aubergine is so beautiful that it was worth it. The difference between my dyneema WF and ballistic A30 is really noticeable though. I plan on taking that for my next London trip.

They were out of aubergine when I got my A45 so it is black (but still beautiful). I am thinking that a Dyneema A30 will be the perfect lightweight short trip bag. I just need to convince myself to spend the $$$$ (this is why I asked first. I could have ordered it to test pack and send back if it didn't work, but we all know how that goes......I wanted to know if it was an impossible task before letting one in the house :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you considered minimalist shoes for workout/walking shoes? I have a pair of Merrell Bare Access that make great travel shoes. I like having them as a break from sandals as well as for workouts. They fit nicely in a stuff sack and I'm sure someone here could point you to the right TSS size.

Comment

Originally posted by binje View Post
                              Have you considered minimalist shoes for workout/walking shoes? I have a pair of Merrell Bare Access that make great travel shoes. I like having them as a break from sandals as well as for workouts. They fit nicely in a stuff sack and I'm sure someone here could point you to the right TSS size.
                              Those look fab! (And available on Amazon for ~$50 and in pink :-) I usually use a size 4 TSS for my regular sneakers, but these might fit in a 3. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                              X