Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,321   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, StatsChick.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse side and back bottom panel material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse side and back bottom panel material

Hello to everyone on this great forum! I noticed that the side and back bottom panels on my Synapse are made out of a different material than the cordura the rest of the bag is made out of. Just curious as to the reason for this and if anyone knows what material this is? Its a smooth semi shiny fabric.

Originally posted by Johnykwst View Post
    Hello to everyone on this great forum! I noticed that the side and back bottom panels on my Synapse are made out of a different material than the cordura the rest of the bag is made out of. Just curious as to the reason for this and if anyone knows what material this is? Its a smooth semi shiny fabric.
    Hi @Johnykwst, I think that material used on the bottom and side panels is the 400d nylon referenced in the product pages for the Synapse. I noticed that as part of the Synapse 25 redesign they shifted to a heavier weight (400d) for these panels, and also segment-stitched the bottom panel into thirds. (I don't think there's been any discussion of these small changes in the forum posts, apart from some side remarks in the thread discussing the Synapse Backpack strap spacing.

Darcy may choose to comment on this, but I think the choice of the nylon fabric here is meant to optimize the way the bag "flexes" and adjusts the space used by the different internal compartments based on their contents (one of the reasons this is referred to as a TARDIS bag, that can hold so much). In addition, the nylon fabric works better sewn in for the padded sections on the bottom panel, when the bag is set down.

Just my conjectures.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Thanks for the comments Moriond! When you say nylon fabric optimizes the way the bag flexes and adjusts, but wouldn't Cordura also flex and adjust while at the same time, also be more abrasion resistant?

I also noticed that the nylon side panels are not lined with Dyneema like the rest of the bag. Do you or does anyone else know why this is so?

Thanks for any insight !

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykwst View Post
        Thanks for the comments Moriond! When you say nylon fabric optimizes the way the bag flexes and adjusts, but wouldn't Cordura also flex and adjust while at the same time, also be more abrasion resistant?

I also noticed that the nylon side panels are not lined with Dyneema like the rest of the bag. Do you or does anyone else know why this is so?

Thanks for any insight !
        To chip in briefly, I don't think abrasion resistance is likely to be the main issue on the back panels. That area doesn't come into contact with any surface other than your clothes. In fact, if Cordura was used instead it would likely abrade more delicate clothing ... JM2C.

Comment

Great info/input from moriond and adalangdon. Just to add a little more to what they've already shared...

On the Synapse backpacks, we use our 420 HT Parapack fabric on the some of the surfaces that contact the wearer's back. On the main contact surface -- the high, center back panel -- we use Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh. It's very comfortable stuff and actually keeps your back cooler in warm climates. However, we've found that people's belts (and even just the belt loops on jeans) can be somewhat hard on the mesh, so we use 420 HT Parapack on that lower back/bottom panel as it holds up very well in this application. The 420 HT Parapack is a very pleasant fabric to the touch, and unlike Cordura, it tends not to abraid sweaters and other delicate clothing.

Additionally, we use the Parapack fabric on the side panels as these are transitional panels: they don't contact the wearer much if at all, and yet they could abraid clothing if made of Cordura. We could have made these side panels in Dyneema/nylon ripstop fabric, but because some versions of the Synapse are made of Cordura, we didn't like mixing up the esthetic in that way: Tom liked the look of the entire back panel (lower back/bottom in 420 HT Parapack; high, center back Aero-Spacer® mesh; side panels more Parapack) in one consistent, black color.
          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Cool! I've noticed how the material of the side panels has changed over time. It's 500D cordura on my earlier S19s, but I also have a Steel Dyneema S19 that uses something that looks like good pack cloth (?)-- I can tell it's not parapack because the back of the fabric is shinier and the front surface grainier. Then my S25 (the latest of the lot) has a parapack side panel.

I had worried a little about the cordura side panels abrading my merino clothing, but that worrying was, of course, needless. Thanks for making these small tweaks, though--you guys didn't have to, but made them nonetheless. I love it!
            Last edited by adalangdon; 12-29-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information Darcy!

Comment

Further proof that good things take time: this thread, in part, inspired us to write a blog post about back panel fabrics. Here it is.
                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Awesome to read about all the innovation and R&D that goes into TB bags!

Comment

Working...
                  X