Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,768   Posts: 190,599   Members: 6,653   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, larson58.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 30, for me? and steel/uv gone forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeronaut 30, for me? and steel/uv gone forever?

Hi! I'm looking to buy my first Tom Bihn bag, as I've been looking for the perfect 1-bag for travel for several years now, and think that the A30 might fit the bill! I've 1-bag traveled to South America for 3 week using an llbean expedition bag that holds about 45liters. The bag wan't even close to capacity and was too heavy and awkward for me to carry easily for more than about 10-20 minutes at a time. I don't need a bag to hike with, but if I want to walk around for half an hour to find someplace to eat I don't want to be curing my bag every step of the way.

Enter, the A30. From the outset it seems like the perfect bag. Significantly smaller than my current bag, but not *too* small. It's also shorter in length which is hopefully great for my 5'2" frame, but I know the website makes a big deal about how it doesn't "wear" differently from the A45. So I'm not too sure what to make of that, because as a smaller woman with a short torso, I find that most bags designed for larger women and men just don't fit me right. But the A30 still seems like the best I've come across. Thoughts?

Then, my color conundrum. I fell in love with the steel/ultraviolet version of the bag. The steel/wasabi might be my second or third choice, but even that is on backorder. So if I have to wait anyway, is there any chance of the steel/uv ever coming back?

And is dyneema as an exterior going to come back in any color other than black? A light gray would be the most amazing thing ever, but I would consider something like orange or yellow as well.

TL.DR. I'm not a fan of the earthy colors that the A30 currently comes in, and really would love dyneema for the weight reduction, but don't want a black bag. If the cordura steel/uv was going to come back, that would make my decision easy because I just love that color combo so much I would jump on it and deal with the weight. But if it's between steel/wasabi and dyneema/uv I don't know which one to choose -- so I was hoping someone might have insight into whether any other colors are coming, to help make my decision easier!! Thanks!

I have no useful advice, except to watch the video with all the different sized people carrying/wearing both the Aeronaut 30 and 45. It's on the Aeronaut 30 product page. I'm smaller than the smallest person in the video, and have an Aeronaut 45 that I wear as a backpack for travel, without any stress. I'm a minimalist, though, so it's always under packed.

Comment

You might call Tom Bihn customer service on Monday and ask about the colors they are producing now for early 2015. Steel/UV seems to be a commonly offered color combination lately, so it may well come back. In my personal experience, buying a bag in a color I am not in love with is never a good move, and it is best to wait for something you really want to become available.

I'm 5'2". I think the A30 is a great fit. I wrote about my own experience using it here. When I'm doing lots of walking, I greatly prefer it over the A45.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

investigator, I'm about 5'1" with a short torso and I find the A30 fits me really well. I packed it for Thanksgiving and found that it wore quite comfortably even when full, although in the end I took my Western Flyer instead.

If the store doesn't have Steel/UV or another color combo you like, I will probably be selling/trading my Steel/UV A30 soon because as much as I love it it simply doesn't fit my style of travel. If you decide that is the color combo you just HAVE TO HAVE let me know.
        Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I've looked at many of the videos and am pretty sure the A30, or at least something else roughly that size, is right for me. I'm also glad to hear that it's a good fit on other women about my height.

bchaplin -- I totally agree with you about not buying a bag in a color I don't love. I've done that in the past with a fancy camera bag, and still need to get around to selling it because I just don't use it much at all. Giving customer service a call is a great idea! After I posted I read here that sometimes they have a stray bag in stock that doesn't show up on the website, so there's always a chance I can get lucky, or at least find out if there's anything worth waiting for. The steel/wasabi is nice, and if it was available now I might have jumped on it, but I'm also thinking that maybe I should just preorder it, and cancel the order if something else comes along while I'm waiting.

Meglet -- if you decide for sure to sell, let me know! The steel/UV is my top choice, and I'm willing to pay the list price (or close to it if it's gotten some wear) -- whatever is reasonable. I've been considering these bags for a few weeks now, so I'm ready to go for it

Comment

My wife, who is 5 feet tall, carried a Dyneema Aeronaut 45 without much trouble. However, an A30 would totally look more balanced on her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419172347.774676.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	294083

This is my Navy A30 next to her. Yes, I carried the smaller bag. She had tall leather boots she needed to pack.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419172388.205359.jpg
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	294084
            @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Comment

Can we bother you to take a picture of the A30 on your wife's back? I am just about 5 feet tall, and have been wondering about the A30. I know the A45 is way too long for me. I do have the Smart Alec and it works fine for me. I think the A30 may fit in length like the Smart Alec. I have hesitated about buying it cos I can't figure out the length on my back. Many thanks for any help, Shiva

Comment

Originally posted by Shiva View Post
                Can we bother you to take a picture of the A30 on your wife's back? I am just about 5 feet tall, and have been wondering about the A30. I know the A45 is way too long for me. I do have the Smart Alec and it works fine for me. I think the A30 may fit in length like the Smart Alec. I have hesitated about buying it cos I can't figure out the length on my back. Many thanks for any help, Shiva
                Here you go, the wife with the A30:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419503127.469854.jpg
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	294097

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419503137.486162.jpg
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	294098
                @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Comment

Working...
                X